Adventist Online

This past Sabbath I visited the SDA church I visited back in November. They were having Children's day it was really sweet. Anyway, when I was visitng I ran into one of the members of the church that I was talking to my first visit there. And I was telling them that their church and the other SDA church were totally different from each other. And they agreed and said that at their church they preach whereas the other SDA church I was telling them about lectures. Now my question is, is there anything wrong with a pastor lecturing their congregation? I know people really don't like being lectured to all the time. But is it ok for them to lecture some of the time. Now in a way I agree with what the member of this church was saying, because the first time I visited their church the pastor's sermon about marriage I really learned a lot from. Where as the other SDA church was more so light, and I didn't really take much away from the sermon. But what do you feel about preaching and lecturing?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some topics might lend themselves better to the lecture format, whereas others the sermon format. IMO the format isn't the problem if the presentation lacks substance whether it is lecture or sermon style. Just my two cents.
In addition to what History Buff said, may I also add that some people respond better to a lecture whilst with others to a sermon. Sometimes it is a question of style and culture.

(I'm assuming that you mean lecture as the style rather than using the word in a negative sense, i.e. lecturing *at* someone.)

P.S. Interesting to hear your experiences... are you still deciding or has one church "won" over the other?
In my church, last twice was just reading sermon! I didnt enjoy and not learned anything! Its very usual there! I fear that I need attend another church!
There is a little thought that I have found valuable at times, Mz Rae. I wonder whether it might be relevant...

"There should be less preaching, and more teaching." (Gospel Workers p.407)

This same thought appears in a number of different settings in Mrs. White's writings.
Proclaiming the gospel utilizes many different methods/styles, to meet the varying needs of the diverse listernership.

God in His wisdom, empowered His church with a multiplicity of gifts, to satisfy that need.

When, in Acts 1:8, Jesus Himself promised the early church that they, "...shall receive power when the Holy Ghost comes upon you and you shall be witnesses to me ..." He was referring to the wherewithal that God Himself was going to appropriate to His agents, in the work of evangelism.

Apostle Paul, in his epistle to the Ephesians, developed the idea of equipping and empowerment by detailing how the Spirit of God was going to accomplish this preparation for ministry. in Ch4:11&12, he informed them, "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints, for the work of ministry for the edifying of the body of Christ."

Because of this diversity of gifts, He will use different ministry leaders to proclaim His message in different styles.
Hopefully, the 'senior pastors' in the various congregations will appreciate that they are to expose their sheep to the other gifted ones among them so that 'the pot will be well seasoned' and result in the majority being well nourished, thereby complying with the injunction to Peter to,"...feed my sheep"

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service