Adventist Online

Romans 8V29-30 and Ephesians 1V4,5,11 speaks about predestination. Did God set each person's destiny?

Romans 8V29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Ephesians 1V4,5,11 - (V4)According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:(V5) Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will..... (V11) In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

Views: 1901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While the essence of your thought is correct, I believe the Bible teaches that God, in His Sovereign right in this GC, has “predestined”, though not forced, a certain number of people towards the path of salvation; especially in special “first fruit”, circumstances (Rom 8:29) as those that were needed to start the work of the New Covenant Israel; indeed in the same way that God had called Abraham to establish the Old Covenant Israel. I.e., ‘foreknowing these people even before they knew of Him, He had ‘set them on a life path’ to enter on the road of salvation and end up being saved if they remained in that narrow way. The best example of this is the Apostle Paul, who God foreknew (from the time of his birth onwards); then predestined him to encounter Christianity; then called him on the Road to Damascus; then justified him of his prior life of Christian opposition, (Acts 9:10-19) among other things; and then if, and since, he manifestly remained faithful unto the end, will one day glorify him. (Rom 8:29, 30).
Hello everyone please see my video on this topic. "False Pedestination The Assassination of God's Character." God bless (2Thess.1:2).
Hello Carlos, I agree with the point that you are making here. Indeed thinking this through will reveal this mis/mal-characterization of God. The three passages that you’ve cited, namely 2 Pet 3:9; Rev 22:17; John 7:37, 38, are certainly quite indicative of what the Biblical Truth on this topic is, however I am sure you will agree that it is to be firmly established with many other Biblical texts and pertinent episodes. I have posted a summary of my exegetical studies on this topic on my blog which may interest you. (See link in my profile. Post title: “God All Mighty...”) Among other things, it addresses the issue of “foreknowledge” that you brought up at the end of your video. Succinctly said here, the Bible teaches that God “foreplans” the future (Isa 46:9-11) instead of “foreknowing” it. As such, God’s foreknowledge is more in line with what we know as “prognostication” (as the Greek of that word ‘proginosko’ inherently implies. The issue of prophecy and this “foreplanning” is also discussed there. Feel free to comment on any comment made there, here in this Discussion.

predestination can mean different things. predestination with God is so different to our definition of predestination. God knows everything; past and future don't really mean anything to God, he can change what happened in the past and change whats going to happen in the future. But God teaches in his word that he died for all and we all have a chance at salvation. the doctrine of predestination can be evil since it teaches that God is unfair.

Wonderful possibilities are provided for every one who has faith in Christ. No walls are built to keep any living soul from salvation. The predestination, or election, of which God speaks, includes all who will accept Christ as a personal Saviour, who will return to their loyalty, to perfect obedience to all God’s commandments. This is the effectual salvation of a peculiar people, chosen by God from among men. All who are willing to be saved by Christ are the elect of God. It is the obedient who are predestinated from the foundation of the world. “To as many as received him, to them he gave power to become the sons of God, even to as many as believed on him.” {GH June 11, 1902, par. 3}

(Romans 8:29, 301 Peter 1:2). God’s Predestination—The Father sets His love upon His elect people who live in the midst of men. These are the people whom Christ has redeemed by the price of His own blood; and because they respond to the drawing of Christ, through the sovereign mercy of God, they are elected to be saved as His obedient children. Upon them is manifested the free grace of God, the love wherewith He hath loved them. Everyone who will humble himself as a little child, who will receive and obey the Word of God with a child’s simplicity, will be among the elect of God.... {6BC 1114.3}

A Christian cannot believe in predestination ( think about it ; a bit satanic ?) God- the HOLY ALMIGHTY GOD choosing some to be destroyed ?

Read this weeks's Adult Lesson- Lesson 9 (March 2, 2012) 

From reviewing this thread - it is clear as a number of people have pointed out -

That to not believe in predestination is to not believe in scriptures nor the Great Controversy.

Mind Bender

True very true

once saved always saved ? So you agree with John Calvin ?

According to John Calvin,

"Predestination we call the eternal decree of God, by which He has determined in Himself, what He would have to become of every individual of mankind. For they are not all created with a similar destiny; but eternal life is foreordained for some and eternal death for others. Every man, therefore, being created for one or the other of these ends, we say he is predestinated either to life or to death."

Jason

Well I do not know much about John Calvin but I do know about the bible and yes i agree that the bible says a sheep will always hear God's voice and follow him. He may go astray and fall now and again but eventually the shepherd will put him back up and he will follow.

I prefer the Biblical account regarding predestination. But you can bring whatever you like onto this forum I suppose.

Wow.

Jason

I will give you a little bible example of predestination.

Jacob love Rachael and wanted her to wife but Laban tricked him and give him Leah instead.

Now Jacob did not a choice in this matter because he did not even know until after the fact.

Eventually he got rachael whom he loved very much.

Leah had four sons for Jacob while rachael whom he loved only had two

Jesus came through the lineage of Leah through her son juda and Leah was not even the one he loved and wanted to marry but  it was supposed to happen so.

Predestination and Prophesy goes hand in hand and the whole bible is based on predestination.

I can give other examples as well.

You cannot tell God what to do nor even think that he is not a fear God because he is not human he is God who created you and everyone else he is within his rights to create for himself vessels of honour and also vessels of dishonour.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service