Adventist Online

Romans 8V29-30 and Ephesians 1V4,5,11 speaks about predestination. Did God set each person's destiny?

Romans 8V29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Ephesians 1V4,5,11 - (V4)According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:(V5) Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will..... (V11) In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

Views: 2102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As it may be time saving for many here, this issue, including a “Universalist” (i.e., ‘God will make/force everyone to be saved’) view, has been discussed in some length in this forum.

The Biblical View that I have seen the Bible teaches, and which, not surprisingly best resolves all issues, is the “Foreplanning View”, (see here), where the future is not “known by God” as many falsely assume, but, as Isa 46:9-11 pointedly states, is merely planned, and then declared by God, and when that time comes for what had been declared to occur, God variously acts, even supernaturally and, if absolutely necessary, sovereignly, to accomplish what He had said would happen.

And, as many examples in the Bible shows, Biblical predestination is merely having been placed on a course where a specific destination can be reached, but the actual reaching of that destination is not pre-determined. The subject of that “pre-destination” is responsible for doing what is required in order to reach/achieve that destination. This is all like parent doing all that they can to have their child attend a top-rated university so that they can get a highly respected degree. However it is then entirely up to the student to do the work and have the proper conduct to graduate and get that favorable degree.

By the way, the "time-saving" linking I had made to another SDA Forum where the issues mentioned in my post have been removed. So when I say "this forum" above or "here", I am not referring to the present Adventist Online Forum. Manifestly it is a capitalistic principle of SDA's to waste time rehashing the same issues instead of "collectively" seeking to get to the truth! Don't be fool, you will have to give an account for such waste of time on what equates in such pointless redundancies in 'vain genealogy discussion' (1 Tim 1:4; Tit 3:9)

Eddie

Point taken God is really a loving and merciful, long suffering God i agree with you here.

New light will ever be revealed on the word of God to him who is in living connection with the Sun of Righteousness. Let no one come to the conclusion that there is no more truth to be revealed. The diligent, prayerful seeker for truth will find precious rays of light yet to shine forth from the word of God. Many gems are yet scattered that are to be gathered together to become the property of the remnant people of God. But light is not given simply to be a strength to the church, but to be shed upon those who are in darkness. The people of God are to show forth the praises of Him who hath called them out of darkness into His marvelous light. Christ has said of His people, “Ye are the light of the world,” and it is the mission of the light to shine out and illuminate the darkness. {CSW 34.1}

Leslie,

I hope you read the post carefully. No new light will contradict the old. This does not mean that new light will not be shown.

The two views - Calvinism and Arminianism - are polar opposites. No new light will change one into the other.

It's like me saying that killing is wrong, but maybe someday new light will be shed on the matter - are you following me?

well gabriel i was referring to the Bible. 

"In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" Eph 1:11

Scripture is very clear on this topic. But yet, there remains a lot of bluster on this thread claiming that the scriptures quoted do not mean anything.

"Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." Ephesians 1:5, 6.

I will stick with scripture and the words of Sister White:

" In the council of heaven, provision was made that men, though transgressors, should not perish in their disobedience, but, through faith in Christ as their substitute and surety, might become the elect of God, predestinated unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself according to the good pleasure of His will. God wills that all men should be saved; for ample provision has been made, in giving His only-begotten Son to pay man's ransom. Those who perish will perish because they refuse to be adopted as children of God through Christ Jesus...."     {FLB 157.2}

The above is what I believe. You all are free to believe something else. That is your right. But please please - don't twist my beliefs into something other than the above.

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world"

Everyone ever born was supposed to be saved, the lake of fire was made for Satan and was never meant to be for humans. However, that does not mean that God has picked out who will live and who will die ahead of time. According to the sop we have the choice to refuse that gift, so you are misquoting sister White. Refusal means choice......

I am not misquoting EGW. You are misstating my beliefs. I totally agree with what you have said and that is what my beliefs and statements are all about.

You have well stated Truth. Perhaps I am not as elequent as you. But I like the way you have stated it.

Eddie

Yes i follow you.

Read what Ellen G White had to say about predestination 

4, 5, 11 (Romans 8:29, 301 Peter 1:2). God’s Predestination—The Father sets His love upon His elect people who live in the midst of men. These are the people whom Christ has redeemed by the price of His own blood; and because they respond to the drawing of Christ, through the sovereign mercy of God, they are elected to be saved as His obedient children. Upon them is manifested the free grace of God, the love wherewith He hath loved them. Everyone who will humble himself as a little child, who will receive and obey the Word of God with a child’s simplicity, will be among the elect of God.... {6BC 1114.3}

Wonderful possibilities are provided for every one who has faith in Christ. No walls are built to keep any living soul from salvation. The predestination, or election, of which God speaks, includes all who will accept Christ as a personal Saviour, who will return to their loyalty, to perfect obedience to all God’s commandments. This is the effectual salvation of a peculiar people, chosen by God from among men. All who are willing to be saved by Christ are the elect of God. It is the obedient who are predestinated from the foundation of the world. “To as many as received him, to them he gave power to become the sons of God, even to as many as believed on him.” {GH June 11, 

[Ephesians 1:1-8 quoted in full.] {6MR 388.1}
These promises are not made to a few, but to all who will come to the heavenly banquet that God has prepared by sending His Son to our world to die in our behalf, that through faith in Him, we should become one with God. The praise and glory of His grace, power, and wisdom is the effectual salvation of a peculiar people. Wonderful possibilities are provided for every one who has faith in Christ. No walls are built to keep any living soul from salvation. The predestination of which God speaks includes all who will accept Christ as a personal Saviour, who will return to their loyalty, to perfect obedience to all God’s commandments. This is the effectual salvation of a peculiar people, chosen by God from among men. All who are willing to be saved by Christ are the elect of God. It is the obedient who are predestinated from the foundation of the world. {6MR 388.2}
There is a serious, solemn work to be done at this time. In all places the standard is to be lifted.—Letter 126, 1898, pp. 1, 2. (To J. H. Kellogg, December 18, 1898.) {6MR 388.3}
Released March 11, 1975.

"All who are willing to be saved by Christ are the elect of God."

Amen brother  and  Amen.

And for a more comprehensive look at what Sister White said - see my post above.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service