Adventist Online

With the recent devastation in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, and some areas of the United States, I was wondering what fellow church members thought about the "Prepping" movement, and whether or not they engage in it.

It is obvious that no preparations of supplies and food are particularly indicated for the actual Last Day events. But prior to that time, in nearly every country there have been disruptions, wars, natural disasters that have lasted for days or weeks or years, and those who had something laid by often did better than those who did not. The US government advises that all citizens prepare enough to last a week or so. The Mormon Church strongly desires its members to have a year's food stored. I have heard fellow Adventists ridicule this, and even state that their Mormon neighbors would take care of them or the government would take care of them. So what do you think about it?

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a generic sense, yes, we are in the "End Times" (and have been since 1798), but don't seem to be in the Time of Trouble as of yet. Probation doesn't seem to have closed yet (it will, soon enough, and we won't realize it except in retrospect). All I am asking is whether, since evil times have come upon various countries and locations since time began, we should be in favor of individual "prepping" for routine disasters. Many people in my own home church seem to think that it is an evidence of a lack of faith, if one does. I have made some preparations, and some Adventist friends have laughingly said to me, "well, if something happens, I'm coming over to your house!" Or "my Mormon neighbors will make sure that I won't starve", or some such silly reasoning.

It is obvious that no preparations of supplies and food are particularly indicated for the actual Last Day events.

This is so true!

Corrie Ten Boom in her book "The Hiding Place" talks about the bag she had prepared for her and her sister in case Nazi's would take them to prison.  This bag with things became her idol, something she thought about more than how God would take care of her.  Jesus of course helped her and her sister.  Corrie survived but her sister did not. 

When Ellen White talks about not laying up stores I think she is talking of the same thing.  Putting our trust in God and not what we store up or the things we have that may help us through troubled times.   

I live in one of the coldest places in the lower 48 of the USA.  In my truck a 4 wheel drive, even in the summer time I carry a bag and tools that will help me get home or survive or help someone else out if the road is impassable or I have any kind of trouble on the road.  This is just common sense for where I live. Does this mean I am a prepper?  Does this mean I trust in my stuff or preparations more than God?  

I spend about two months out of the year and quite a chunk of money getting prepared for the winter,  Storing up wood, fuel and wood pellets and some types of food because I could get snowed in.  Does this mean I am a prepper? 

When I was in my early thirties before I even knew what an Adventist was I had a good job, had a nice apartment in one of the most densely populated cities in the world. I loved it there and my hope was to retire there and read books and listen to music in a pub until my time was up.   God did not allow this.  He brought me back home against my will to my rural roots where I live on a farm by large forest.  Does this make me a prepper?

If I do the things that my Grandparents and even my parents did, like can and store garden veggies, pay cash, avoid debt, other such things that were just common sense things on how to live. Does this make me a prepper.

I am going to guess that many people who use Ellen White to remain unprepared do so for one simple reason and that is because they do not want to leave their comfortable lives and leave urban areas. 

To have extra food and supplies stored in case of any event is fine.  Many who live in the country or outback as we call it in Australia have been flooded in and they routinely make sure all the pantry is stocked before such an event.  

The time of trouble does not just happen after probation closes.  The time of trouble is happening now for some people in parts of the world and escalates until probation closes.  Then the great time of trouble (Daniel 12:1) will start and this is when we will rely on God for all our needs.

Preparation can reduce the stress levels when events occur.

we should always be prepared. I support storing water and canned foods and dried foods and stuff. our neighbours are truly our neighbours when they help us out of crisis.

I don't think it's wise to rely too much on the system/Govt. But IMO here on the mainland US we are blessed when it comes to the prepping needed for natural disasters. I watched the news about Puerto Rico and saw a reporter commenting about how the people were acting regardless of the devastation.  He seemed shocked how they took it in stride compared to how some people in Florida, Texas and Louisiana acted.  I'm grateful the the US looks out for it's own, it just sucks sometimes how political things become on the mainland by people that want government to manage every aspect of their life. Even their ability to survive a few days after a disaster situation some of them could have easily avoided unlike people on islands like Puerto Rico and the Caribbeans/Virgin Islands.

I'm not a big preper, I just have bug-out bags with some of the basics.  Water filtration, enough food for 1-2 weeks, portable solar panel/batteries, hunting/cooking/camping supplies etc.  

I'd like to move someplace rural but with the way taxes and prices work in the US now days I just can't afford to do it.  My family has some land overseas that is rich and fertile. in the future I'd like to develop it although it is in an extremely secluded area that is somewhat difficult to get to and would require more investment than I can do right now.   

Growing up I had a Mormon neighbor who kept a respectable stockpile/arsenal.   It's nice to imagine myself being that prepared, but in my current situation I don't find it very prudent.

I wonder if you all would call Ellen White and her family "preppers" when in her day they grew most of their own food and spent considerable time canning and preparing for the many months of winter season? She speaks often about this labor in her personal letters. There were no Walmart and convenience stores in her day that we have become so accustomed and dependent upon. Same goes for doctors and medical care. I believe living out of the cities and learning to be more self sufficient is only not only wise and prudent but also God's intended plan for His people. Seems like common sense to me.

Me too. As a pathologist, I have to live near a city large enough to have a pathology lab, do I can't right now. But it is where my heart is.

Then it would seem to be wise to have a location out in the country to relocate in a hurry ("bug out") when the situation in the city goes south for whatever reason? My family moved out into the country five years ago and haven't missed one convenience of the urban world. Probably about 45 min to the nearly small city (50K) that would have a pathology lab.

Then it would seem to be wise to have a location out in the country to relocate in a hurry ("bug out") when the situation in the city goes south for whatever reason? My family moved out into the country five years ago and haven't missed one convenience of the urban world compared to the peace and quite we enjoy every day. Probably about 45 min to the nearest small city (50-60K) that would have a pathology lab.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service