Adventist Online

President Barack Obama - Has won. He is now the 44th President of the United States.

We are now finally the UNITED States Of America. That says its all. This is just a symbol and a first step of an even longer journey.

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your very right, I guess I was just really overwhelmed with what was happening. When you just look at the world and watch the news, you could lose the real picture and get lost in the crowd of people. But I was also marveling at the fact that scripture is fulfilling right before our very own eyes. And no politician, or religious leader can prohibit or take away from what is to happen. Its like in Jesus time, he knew what was ahead of him and what was to come, he could have very well escaped that situation, but if he had the whole human race would never even get a chance for eternal life. And Jesus was always looking at the greater picture, at his Father, even on the cross, he saved the sinner that asked to go to paradise with him. He lived above the circumstances and situation. And we must do the same and like you said, be deep rooted in the word of God, keeping the commandments and the doctrine of Christ.
PEACE to all.
One cannot depend on this man...if it was a theocracy amen and praise the Lord. There is really in the real word no race for Jesus died not just for white folks or black folk...but for all humanity. We should get ready for the coming of the Lord. For when the Judgment will this defend you. NO! Jesus is Our Advocate. It is foolishness.. with all respect. Am not bitter nor do I care about who is the president...I do respect the laws of the land, but I got to get home, that is where Jesus is. If SDA meaning every one that is SDA, to check themselves with the Bible and SOP, you will be saying oh yeah we are good. Look again fellow SDAs, we are worst than the Jewish nation in the 1st advent...How come we neglect our OWN condition as the people of GOD? Well God be with you all. :)
I wish I could be happy... I wish I could say that the ceiling is broken... I wish I could say that black and white have finally united in the USA... But in all honesty I can't.

Before anyone can celebrate we have to at least get through the next 2 months. He is not yet the USA's first black president - a lot can happen in 2 months.

...and *if* (God forbid) he becomes yet another US president to be killed by his own people the resulting pandemonium would stop "Dubya" from stepping down in a time of National Emergency and might just herald draconian laws being brought into play. I don't believe any of his policy statements, most politicians either lie to get elected or really haven't seen the whole picture.

Both candidates were "church-driven" and now we have to see how much more faith/religion will impose on the governance of the country.

Realistically we are just one day closer...
You couldn't have said it better JoyousKim. I'd rather be glad for Obama than not, even if I disagree with him on some issues, that in my opinion are of little effect in influencing why I would have preferred voting for him rather than McCain.

SDAs more than ever should use this time of goodwill and unity to hasten the work that God has commissioned us to do. Like you said let us pray for our leaders and help to render support in whatever way we can. God has called us to be wise and prudent, and if there is no other denomination that should believe in pragmatic evangelism it should be us.

God bless you for your wise words Joy...
Thanks so much.. you have made my day with your comments.
I am happy for your excitement Nina. Some of the nicest persons I have known are Cubans. Despite the embargoes established by the myopic, and shortsighted Republicans, Cubans have produced some of the best doctors, and nurses the world over. Their education system is second to none.

Thank God for an Obama administration that will see beyond the silly politics, and finally act more favourably towards Cuba. Its long overdue.
Yes. Some people say he is Jesus. Some say he is the Messiah. But so far with his Cabinet choices he is showing that he is under the control of the Party establishment. Those who are of his ethnicity will rejoice for a short while. But not long. Most will have their ignorance changed very soon.

One thing I will go on record saying though is that he will not change the Cuba issue because he IS political.

Our hope should lie in Jesus ... not imposters. Our hope is not in politics ... it is in Christ.
Compared to the time of JFK and Martin Luther King the election of Obama is a major step forward in the history of segregation of the United States. No one has ever dreamed that a day would come where whites would vote for a president not because of the color of his skin but despite the color of his skin. It indeed says something about the unity of the United States.
I have never seen so many people of all racial backgrounds within and outside the United States been so thrilled and excited and filled with joy when they hear that Obama has won the election.

If people can act like this for an ordinary mortal as president, how will they act for an immortal King of Kings when Jesus comes.I pray that we all will be filled with joy and excitement when the trumphet shall sound and Jesus will return.

I can see Jerry that you admire Obama, me too
I am sure that he is a wonderful person,intelligent, educated, an excellent speaker, an example to many who really wants to change the United States. Who wants to be president both for whites and blacks.
However, the change he wants to bring can only come from Jesus.
I've listened to his election speech. He was sure that his diseased grandmother was watching him. That touched me. Eventhough he has attended church for years he doesn't even know the truths that are found in the bible.
Hopefully, someone will be bold enough to talk to him about his salvation and biblical truths. Only when this guy is saved, it was worth being the first black president living in the White House.

I hope that the election of Obama will make it easier for black adventist to reach secular whites or white adventist to reach secular blacks with the tree angels message. Let's use this opportunity to reach many even the new president of the USA.
I agree with you that the change that politicians seek, and even attempt to inspire in people can only come through Jesus. That realism is a given, but I figure human nature naturally takes its course and even more so under the extenuating circumstances when we blacks happen to be alive to see a great black leader prove to the world that despite hundreds of years of being seen as inferior, and incapable, that feats such as runnig for the highest office in the US is possible.

This in and of itself is enough a reason to be overly joyful. I honestly believe that God understands our joy right now. I know that God is rejoicing with us. In time we will settle again.

For now I am extremely pleased.
I must say what got to me the most was seeing the faces of the people in the crowd. There was some healing happening last night. :)

"This election had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations. But one that's on my mind tonight's about a woman who cast her ballot in Atlanta. She's a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to make their voice heard in this election except for one thing: Ann Nixon Cooper is 106 years old."
She was born just a generation past slavery; a time when there were no cars on the road or planes in the sky; when someone like her couldn't vote for two reasons -- because she was a woman and because of the color of her skin. And tonight, I think about all that she's seen throughout her century in America -- the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we can't, and the people who pressed on with that American creed: Yes we can.
She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that "We Shall Overcome." Yes we can.
And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change."

That being said, now look at Obama's record. Most of the time he voted "present" in the senate. That tells me nothing.
The times he does vote, he is controversial, such as voting for abortion. HOW MANY MORE CHILDREN will be slaughtered under his rule? If one tries to gauge Obama from his voting record since taking office it's not easy as he seems to have voted 'present' more than he has 'yea' or 'nay'.Perhaps his record as chairman of the committee on European affairs might give an insight?Sadly not - it hasn't met since he became chairman. Either he has difficulty reaching decisions or has avoided them - both are troubling.
I voted for Bob Barr. My little vote didn't help either majority; but I voted my conscience and I can sleep at night, knowing I did not contribute to the masses' delusions of grandeur.
The Irony of it all, a black mas becomes President of America and everyone wants to scrutinizes all his views and ideology. Millions have died in Irag and Afghanistan during the Bush administration and millions were killed, tortured, enslaved and bitten under the other 44 former US presidents. So let's just give it a rest we would not be having this debate if he was WHITE now would we?

So is it now time for us to have the First Black General Conference President? Hell will freeze over first
Sad to see that you are suggesting that people are only scrutinising his voting record because he is black. I thought that it was a standard thing that helps the voter to decide whether to vote for a candidate or not?

If you don't scrutinise his voting record then how do you know what he stands for? I certainly wouldn't depend on the usual emotion-filled rhetoric that comes from all politicians when they want your vote. I see no reason to believe that Obama will be any different from from Bush, Clinton, Bush, et al. Say one thing, do another, put lots of spin on it and when all else fails look the nation directly in the eye and lie.

Right now, because of his voting record, Obama is a blank canvas - albeit one with a target painted on it.

Prophecy will fullfil no matter what. Perhaps it will be a black president that passes the Sunday Laws?

Too much emphasis on skin colour. I'm more interested in what lies under the skin, not what colour it is.

As far as GC president goes... I fail to see what difference it makes. Our local Conference president has been black for as long as I can remember, Union president also happens to be black. Doesn't mean they're any better or any worse than white, yellow, brown or red presidents.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service