Adventist Online

Samoa's Seventh Day Adventist Church has chosen Sunday as the official day of worship, ending months of confusion.

Views: 10230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brother Ronald,

I shared the above information with others.

I have a question, perhaps it has already been answered and I just did not see so please excuse me:

We know that Saturday always comes before Sunday -this is pointed out with the the texts from Scripture which make reference to the Preparation Day, Sabbath and then First day of the week...

So, how is it that Sunday keepers have not moved their worship to Monday (the "new Sunday" or first day of the week) but still keep Sunday?

Or have I got this all wrong??

Another question: Are they any Jewish Synagogues in these affected regions?

Many Thanks
Meta

Thank you Brother Ronald,

I believe I am a little clearer on the issue - man removed one day from the weekly cycle (December 29th) but in actual fact the "missing" day still exists... Hmm, so how does the Sunday Law enforcment happen?

Many Thanks
Meta

Hi Brother Ronald,

I see from below what you speak of:

The Constitution of Tonga is the supreme law under which the Government of Tonga operates. It was enacted by King George Tupou I on 4 November 1875. It stipulates the makeup of the Tongan Government and the balance between its executive, legislature, and judiciary. The anniversary of its passage is celebrated annually as Tonga's Constitution Day.

The constitution is separated into three parts. Part one is a declaration of rights of the Tongan people. Part two addresses the form of government. Part three provides laws for land ownership, succession, and sale.

The Declaration of Rights provides for the basic human rights of the people of Tonga. It firstly established Tonga as a free nation. It prohibits slavery except as a form of punishment for great crime, and establishes Tonga as a safe haven for those who have escaped slavery in a foreign nation. It establishes equal law for all citizens of Tonga despite their class or ethnicity. The constitution provides the freedoms of worship, press, speech, petition, and assembly as well. It establishes a Sabbath day on Sunday during which no trade or professional or commercial undertakings are to be pursued. It applies the writ of Habeas Corpus to its people and provides for basic rights of the accused, such as protection from double jeopardy. It establishes a national tax in return for protection of life, liberty, and property. It holds soldiers equally accountable to civil law. It establishes the qualifications to be selected as a juror and establishes an age of maturity for the inheritance of title or land. Finally, it states that any foreigner who has lived in Tonga for at least 5 years may take an oath of allegiance and become a naturalized citizen, granted all the same rights and privileges of natural born Tongans except for the right of hereditary tax allotments.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Tonga

Brother Ronald

Thank you for this information. I  will pass this along to others. I have sent out a prayer request concerning the situation, I believe that this issue is moving into the spotlight of examination by His Grace.

These are interesting times we find ourselves in.........

I was mulling over these texts this morning

2 Corinthians 13:5-8

[5]
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
[6] But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
[7] Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.
[8] For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.

Many thanks

Meta

I Just think they still have a day called saturday over there...the 7th day..prior to the Sunday where all others go to church. Whether they took a day out for that immediate change to the dateline or however they did it....they still have Saturday and Sunday..and every other day...So they still have a 7 day week...Saturday is still the Sabbath...Saturday starts at a different time all over the world..what matters is that we keep whatever time our Saturday falls on...not what it was or might have been...

Samoa is 3 hours ahead of me and it is Saturday there now..SDA's in Samoa should be keeping today as the Sabbath.

American Samoa is keeping another time and date zone and it is Friday afternoon there..

To me it seems simple...for one week they may have removed a day..to do catchup or something with another time and date zone...but that has not removed permanently a 7th day.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com

There was no dateline in Messiah's time.  They had a different way way of handling time. 

Sorry to bust the bubble but, datelines and  Constantine and Gregorian Roman Catholic calendars were not in existence in Messiah's day.  The Romans had an eight day week based on the sun and the Hebrew people used the moon and sun to mark time. 

Love the term "(from a global perspective)",must be correct.

How can you say datelines were not in existence? There was a change from one day to the next each revolution of the globe so there must have been a dateline. Maybe not where it is today but a dateline nevertheless.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7RUh42w1_KXa0VoNEJhal85NUk/edit?us...

Check out this video of Dr Paul Petersen telling a group the philosophy of the SPD in keeping Sunday.

I don't think even he s convinced!

"....the country changed days to be on the same working week as Australia and New Zealand."

So, which day is the Sabbath in Samoa?  The same as in Australia.  Why all the fuss?  You have to abide the laws of the land.  It's not like they'll be changing it back again any time soon.

They are right on the International Date Line.  Things will be tricky there.  They should have known what they were getting into.  It's like living in north Alaska where there are 30 days of night, in mid winter.  In that case, Sabbath starts at the same time it starts strait south of you, and it lasts for 24 hours.

Is it really so hard to keep God's commandments?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service