Adventist Online

Why is SDA church condemning eating meat?

Views: 2681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why is SDA church condemning eating meat? Ermmm..Jesus ate fish...

....Jesus came, took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish. This was now the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead. When they had finished eating...John 21:13-15 NIV
The SDA church does not condemning meat eating, however in Lev. 11 God told us what meat to eat and not to eat and there's not but about it. Under spiritual guidance the church had beem warn as we see the day of our Lord approching we must try to obstain from meat eating because of various reason in which I encourage you to look into. Check out www.whiteestate.org!
Maybe some... maybe... condemn eating meat. What I've seen is a lot of ppl assume SDAs condemn eating meat when one says it may not be the healthiest diet.. cuz simply put.. its not. So one might think their condemning when really they're just saying its not the best diet for our bodies for multiple reasons. So long as its not any of the unclean meats in the Bible found in Leviticus... then hey. Oh, it may also be a good idea to make sure the meat was prepared by the guidelines given in the Bible (draining blood etc).
I don't think that the church as a whole condemns meat eating on a whole. I do believe that we teach against the eating of unclean meats, which are those specifically referenced in the Bible by God (Leviticus 11). Of course, if God says not to eat something, then we shouldn't eat it. It's just called being obedient and we should want to obey Him because we love Him. Now, you may come across some church members that really promote the vegetarian diet because it's healthier and meat was never part of the original diet. And they may promote it because they may be vegetarian themselves (like myself).
Why is SDA church condemning eating meat?

John Omondi

Some ask with reference to why Jesus fed the disciples and the multitudes with fish. (Matt.14:17-20)

There is no doubt that the people were fed with fish as well as with bread. The question is, Does this prove that the Lord, in doing this, sanctioned the use of flesh, or that He approved of fish as being the most wholesome food? I think not; for we find, in 1 Cor.10:6, that the apostle, speaking of the experience of the children of Israel in the wilderness, says that they lusted after evil things. We turn to Numbers 11, and we find what the evil thing was. We find that it was flesh; and thus we know that flesh is an evil thing. There is no doubt about that. The Lord has told us, directly and distinctly, that flesh is an evil thing, and that the children of Israel, in lusting after flesh, lusted after an evil thing. And yet when we read the account of what the Lord did for them in the wilderness, we see that the Lord fed them with this very evil thing. The Lord said to them: 'Say thou unto the people, Sanctify yourselves against tomorrow, and ye shall eat flesh; for ye have wept in the ears of the Lord, saying, Who shall give us flesh to eat? for it was well with us in Egypt; therefore the Lord will give you flesh, and ye shall eat. Ye shall not eat one day, nor two days, nor five days, neither ten days nor twenty days, but even a whole month.'"

Now here you see that the Lord Himself not only gave the children of Israel one meal, but that He gave them flesh every day for a whole month. And yet the inspired apostle tells us that that very flesh that God gave the children of Israel by a miracle was an evil thing.

"And Moses said, The people among whom I am, are six hundred thousand footmen; and You have said, I will give them flesh, that they may eat a whole month."

It would take a tremendous amount of flesh-food to feed six hundred thousand people. There were many more than six hundred people; for there were that many footmen. What an amount of flesh-food would be required to feed all those people? Just think of it! Moses could not understand it; he said, "Shall the flocks and the herds be slain for them, to provide enough for them? And the Lord said unto Moses, Has the Lord's arm been shortened? You shall see now whether My word shall come to pass unto you or not. And Moses went out, and told the people the words of the Lord, and gathered the seventy men of the elders of the people, and set them round about the tabernacle."

A little farther down we read: "And Moses returned to the camp, both he and the elders of Israel. Now a wind went out from the Lord, and it brought quail from the sea and left them fluttering near the camp, about a day's journey on this side and about a day's journey on the other side, all around the camp, and about two cubits above the surface of the ground."

The point I want to call your special attention to here, is that God wrought a miracle, and yet, we read, "And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, before it was chewed, ... the Lord smote the people with a very great plague." Numbers 11: 33.

Now the Lord brought the quails for the people, and fed them quails; and yet He sent a plague upon them for eating the very thing He sent. He sent the quails because they wept for them.

So you see the fact that Christ wrought a miracle to make fish for the people who wanted fish, does not prove that fish was the best food for them. If it did, then certainly we would have to say that God was very unjust and very unreasonable to make the children of Israel sick in eating flesh that He Himself created right there. This flesh was not good for them. Why did God give it to them? Because they insisted upon having it. He told them that meat was not good for them. He wanted them to see that He was withholding flesh because it was not good for them. The plague was not an arbitrary measure. Certainly, the Lord never made anybody sick. The children of Israel ate flesh every day for a month. They ate so much that it came out of their nostrils. That means that they vomited it. That is the way plagues come upon us sometimes. The plagues were there in the wilderness. The germs which caused the plagues were there.

While the people lived upon manna, they were above the power of these plagues; but when they feasted upon flesh, they succombed to the plagues. While their blood was pure, they were safe; but just as soon as they brought their bodies into a condition of grossness, by eating flesh, the plagues broke out among them. This was simply the result of their own sin. The eating of flesh brought them into a diseased condition, where they could not resist the influence about them. The Lord knew what kind of pestilential germs where there in the wilderness. With three millions of people in a wilderness, how long will they remain healthy? Even our own modern sanitary appliances do not keep people healthy.

We are in the "wilderness" at the present time, and we are going through the worse part of it, and shall from this time to the end. We must come in contact with plagues and germs of all sorts. But God has given us bread from heaven; and that is what I want to talk about. What is the bread from heaven? Fruits, grains, nuts. God has promised to give us food that is convenient for us.

To be continued.

sky
Interesting.... sky. I continue to feel good about my decision to drop flesh foods about 2 years ago after reading material like this.
Right on Jose.

Those who persist im eating meat in these last days in spite of the light shining upon them, will be overcome by the plagues that are coming upon the earth.

sky
It seems we are putting a definite kind of ending to those who eat meat. "Those who persist in eating meat in these last days in spite of the light shining upon them, will be overcome by the plagues that are coming upon the earth." Is this quoted, or coming from your own point of view?
Back to the original question, I just want to correct it, SDA is not condemning meat eating, SDA educates its people on the dangers of meat eating in terms of physical health issue. Some think it is a salvation issue, some think its not. To take side in this issue is not a big deal for me. We are all free to take side. What I always believe is the fact that thinking we are better individual in terms of spirituality than those who do not belong to our side is dangerous matter.
Bro Sky it always amazes me how we try to twist the bibe in order to promote our own agenda. Truth is truth and we don't need to stretch error into truth. There is no doubt that a meat free diet is superior and a healthier option that a meat diet. I have up on meat and fish nearly 20 year ago ad have not looked back since.

Now to your comments, you imply that in numbers 11 the children of Israel were punished for eating or demanding meat. You are not telling the whole truth my friend, for when we read the whole text in context we realise that the punishment/ plauge was bigger that flesh/ meat.

We read in verse

4 And the mixt multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat?

5We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:
6But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes.

The truth is the COI were lusting and longing after their life back in Egypt, here the Lord had delivered them and these ungrateful people were longing to be back in Egypt. Please note they also longed for cucumbers, and melons, leek, garlic and onions. Now as far as I know melon, leek, cucumbers garlic and onions are not meat or flesh. The issue here was not a case of meat is wrong so eat manna instead, the issue was the Lord has provided manna fore them and they rebelled against the Lord's provision, the Lord delivered them out of Egypt and they were longing and crying to go back to Egypt. And it vwas not the first time they were homesick for Egypt. So let us not use that incident as a law to prohibit the eating of flesh. Jesus not only ate fish but he also ate lamb as did the disciples and most if not all Jews. They had to eat it for passover atleast.

While the people followed God they were healthy when the people followed their own device they were plagued.

Ex 23 25 “So you shall serve the LORD your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away from the midst of you. 26 No one shall suffer miscarriage or be barren in your land; I will fulfill the number of your days.

Deu 7: 11Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.

12Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:

13And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

Obedience is the key to health while the folks were obedient they were free from sickness and prospered but once they were disobedient sickness and plaugues befell them.
Thank you Charlie. Good Post.
brother I did not twist the Scriptures. There was nothing wrong with eating the onions and leeks and garlic and cucumbers but they were mixing flesh meat with that. That is what is meant by the "flesh pots" of Egypt just like most people eat today.

The Lord did not punish them for eating flesh pots. They asked for it. They knew it was not good for them. The Lord had already told them it was not good for them. The Lord did not cause them to be sick, eating flesh food which they asked for made them sick.

sky
So bro Sky did they also have melons in their flesh pot melon is a fruit not a vegetable to go into a pot. I still maintain that their sin was to long over Egypt and not the eating of flesh food perse.

Their sins were to seek the provision of Pharoah and not the provision of Jahovah, their sin was looking backward to bondage and not looking forward to Freedom and the promise land. Their sin was not to enter into God's rest.

verse 20 because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?"

Like I said a meatless diet is a better option than a meat diet no doubt, but to use numbers 11 to advocate you must not eat meat is stretching the verse to say things that I does not say. Never in the bible is eating clean meat forbidden, and Jesus himself ate meat.

Stop abusing the word

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by