Adventist Online

Why is SDA church condemning eating meat?

Views: 2616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carlos & Mandy,

www.mykoshermarket.com

www.kosher.com

You can try these.
The SDA church does not condemn meat eating, there is no official position of the SDA which remotely attacks or condemns meat eating. The churches position on healthy eating is “Seventh-day Adventists present a health message that recommends vegetarianism and condones abstinence from pork, shellfish, and other foods proscribed as "unclean" in Leviticus. Alcohol and tobacco are also prohibited. “The condemnation of meat is made by the legalist and fanatical fringe of the Church, who believe that being a vegetarian grants them special favor with God and guarantees a place for them in heaven. They even claim that if you eat meat on earth you will have the same craving in heaven, I would ask since some married persons love sex , would they want to have sex in heaven, they ignore the fact that God will change his people and not them selves. Often they have no proof to support their outlandish claims. Food production in the US is use as the norm for the world. For them a man who raises his cattle in Italy with no hormones and antibiotics has the same meat as the farmer in the US. The copious use of chemicals in crop production and people divergent dietary needs and food allergies are deliberately overlooked. These individuals make people feel so guilty for eating meat that, persons have to respond Jesus eat fish, not only did he eat fish, as a Jew he eat all clean meats. To the self righteous we must all fellow them and eat from the new tree of life, the soya bean. I have been a vegan, vegetarian and meat eater and not one of these diets made me more righteous than my fellow members. I thank God its just a new self righteous ones Who are condemning meat.They claim to follow Sister White while ignoreing her suggestions. One said you should not eat egss because Ellen White said it and yet will not show the areas where she said eat eggs.6. That same year (1869) she also wrote a letter to a “Brother and Sister E.” In a simple sentence she stated flatly: “ Eggs should not be placed upon your table.” Why? “ They are an injury to your children” 2 Testimonies 400
7. “ In some cases the use of eggs is beneficial” 7 Testimonies 135 “ In some cases of persons whose blood- making organs are feeble...milk and eggs should not be wholly discarded.” Ministry of Healing 320
8. “ While warnings have been given...yet we should not consider it a violation of principle to use eggs from hens that are well cared for and suitably fed. Eggs contain properties that are remedial agencies in counteracting certain poisons” in the body. 9 Testimonies 162
9. One example of extremism happened in the life of Dr. Daniel Kress who became anemic from his abstinence of all animal products without a proper wholesome diet in replacement. Ellen White recommended that he change his eating habits and eat a raw egg in a glass of grape juice two or three times a day in order to receive “the nourishment that he greatly needed.” Letter 37, 1904.
10. Second Rule The time, place, and circumstances of the giving of the message should be considered.
Let God and conscience be your reasons for eating meat not the fanatics. God bless
Amen!
IJ Charles

Frankly, I feel sorry for you. Those arguments are as threadbare as an old coat. However, there is only one point that I want to address. You said:

"The SDA church does not condemn meat eating, there is no official position of the SDA which remotely attacks or condemns meat eating."

Since when did the directives of any church supercede the instructions found in the Bible? I have a hunch that if the church did condemn the eating of flesh, you would just come up with another, equally faulty response.

See, I do not refrain from eating dead animals because of that the church says. I seek to know what God's plan is for my life as revealed in the Bible and choose to allow God to instill that in my life.

This I write with great saddness, but there are a few things that pressure groups have gotten in or out of the church policies, that are contary to the plainest statements of God's word. However, I am accountable to what God says, not culture, popular opinion, or any other human influence. Remember this passage?

"For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions," 2 Tim. 4:3 (ESV)

The NAD is filled with such teachers. They are not safe to follow.

Maranatha :)
Ray
Adventists do not condemn meat eating, however they are just advising their church members to live healthier lives. This issue of meat has been overblown for no good reason. If meat is your diet, please go ahead and eat, no one will condemn you but for the sake of your health, avoid anything that may harm you.
Olei

Your counsel is opposite to that which is given in inspiration. Who do you suggest that we listen to?

Ray
how do u get clean meat
Susie,

the biblical issue is about ritual cleanliness and goes much deeper than the average SDA has studied. Not only does the lists in Leviticus 11 apply, other laws including and especially those found in Deuteronomy 12 and 14 also apply. The food was not ritually clean if it was not eaten in the proper place either. Distinction was made between the domesticated animals (used for sacrifice so could only be eaten in a holy place and became defiled if they were not) and wild animals which if clean could be eaten anywhere.

There has also been arguments here as to whether this cleanliness applied to everyone or just the Hebrews and whether they apply today. The laws in Deuteronomy speak to this and so does the apostle Paul, both in ways that no one here has thought to apply, but which are very clearly applicable. Because the blood had already coagulated in animals found dead it could neither be properly drained out, nor ministered at the temple since it was unlawful to sprinkle the blood on the altars and veils after it had coagulated. Domesticated animals could not be eaten until their blood was ministered in the temple, and they had to be eaten in the presence of God (Jerusalem or earlier in Shiloh). The wild animals could be eaten anywhere but the blood had to be properly drained from it because the "nephesh" (soul-- not life as it is usually translated in the three or four verses that state this) is in the blood. Strangely enough, God then says that these animals found dead can be given to the aliens (foreigners/unbelievers) living among the Israelites, and they could eat them. Thus the laws concerning ritual cleanliness were specific to the Hebrew people (symbolic of all believers.)

Paul spends a great deal of space in his letters teaching how to apply the law under the New Covenant. Since the New Covenant states very clearly, "I will write my law upon your hearts," it is clear that the law is not done away with. Jesus spent the majority of the Sermon on the Mount showing how the law is supposed to be properly interpreted, especially with spiritual eyes. Paul says in Romans 7:14 the law is spiritual, in part meaning that it is a type of the true heavenly law. In Galatians 3 he shows us that while the law must still be kept it must be kept by faith because it is that saves us, not the law. If we keep it by the efforts of the flesh we are not saved. This is a difficult passage to understand because we do not define faith well and have little real understanding of it. But that is not important to this discussion.

In this passage Paul says, "10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." He continues on in a deeper discussion of the Old and New Covenants and then says in chapter 5, "3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law." If a person chooses to follow the Old Covenant form of a single law, he obligates himself under the Old Covenant to keep the entire law in that form. This is one of many areas where a great number of Adventists have obligated themselves to the Old Covenant law and don't even keep that one portion correctly, much less attempt to keep it all.

As I said, Paul tells us that the Mosaic law itself is a type of the true law in Heaven, however this is not stated explicitly in so many words in his writings. Ellen White states it much more clearly in Prophets and Kings, Desire of Ages and many lesser writings when she says the entire Hebrew economy (or system of laws) is a prophecy of the Plan of Salvation. That includes these dietary laws; and under the New Covenant they are to be applied to our spiritual food, not flesh and blood animals or plants growing out of the soil. God has slowly revealed to me over the last 6 years the outline of how these are to be applied as we feed (study and meditate on) every word that proceeds from the mouth of God which is our true spiritual food. Every word is not limited to the bread of the written word, but includes ALL of the creation which he spoke into existence. These laws also define what is acceptable in our method of study which is one of the primary factors in determining whether the food we eat is clean or not.

The proper use of types is to observe from the physical (the things seen) the nature of the spiritual things (the things unseen or only seen through a glass darkly) For this reason it is often helpful to observe the Old Covenant forms of the law for a time in order to better discern the spiritual things, but during those times of observance it must be emphasized that you are doing this specifically to gain that understanding and not as a means to salvation.

The New Covenant understanding of the law is the more important but that does not mean the Old Covenant form is completely invalidated and useless. It is by observing the effects of adultery between husbands and wives on earth that we begin to gain an understanding of our adultery against God when we pursue the gods/idols of the various false doctrines that plague the Church and/or individual Christians. Hopefully we learn these lessons by observing the mistakes of others, but there will always be those who must experience these mistakes for themselves before they learn anything. As important as a good, clean physical diet is, its greatest purpose is to teach you how to have a clean spiritual diet and learn and grow in God's grace and understanding.
Did I see where God gave them manna to PROVE THEM?
Diet Reform to Be Progressive

(1902) 7T 132-136
793. From the beginning of the health reform work, we have found it necessary to educate, educate, educate. God desires us to continue this work of educating the people. . . . {CD 460.2}
In teaching health reform, as in all other gospel work, we are to meet the people where they are. Until we can teach them how to prepare health reform foods that are palatable, nourishing, and yet inexpensive, we are not at liberty to present the most advanced propositions regarding health reform diet. {CD 460.3}
Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men. The time is near when, because of the iniquity of the fallen race, the whole animal creation will groan under the diseases that curse our earth. {CD 460.4}
God will give His people ability and tact to prepare wholesome food without these things. Let our people discard all unwholesome recipes. Let them learn how to live healthfully, teaching to others what they have learned. Let them impart this knowledge as they would Bible instruction. Let them teach the people to preserve the health and increase the strength by avoiding the large amount of cooking that has filled the world with chronic invalids. By precept and example make it plain that the food which God gave Adam in his sinless state is the best for man's use as he seeks to regain that sinless state.
{CD 460.5}
Those who teach the principles of health reform should be intelligent in regard to disease and its causes, understanding that every action of the human agent should be in perfect harmony with the laws of life. The light God has given on health reform is for our salvation and the salvation of the world. Men and women should be informed in regard to the human habitation, fitted up by our Creator as His dwelling place and over which He desires us to be faithful stewards. "For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people." 2 Corinthians 6:16. {CD 461.1}
Hold up the principles of health reform, and let the Lord lead the honest in heart. Present the principles of temperance in their most attractive form. Circulate the books that give instruction in regard to healthful living. {CD 461.2}

ALL GOD'S COUNSELS GIVEN THROUGH HIS PROPHETS ARE FOR OUR OWN GOOD IF FAITHFULLY FOLLOWED AND WILL CERTAINLY BLESS HIS PEOPLE BUT IF NEGLECTED THEN WE SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF OUR ACTIONS.
A Wrong Method of Working

(1890) C.T.B.H. 119, 120
798. Do not catch hold of isolated ideas and make them a test, criticizing others whose practice may not agree with your opinion; but study the subject broadly and deeply, and seek to bring your own ideas and practices into perfect harmony with the principles of true Christian temperance. {CD 464.1}
There are many who try to correct the lives of others by attacking what they regard as wrong habits. They go to those whom they think in error, and point out their defects, but do not seek to direct the mind to true principles. Such a course often comes far short of securing the desired results. When we make it evident that we are trying to correct others, we too often arouse their combativeness, and do more harm than good. And there is the danger to the reprover also. He who takes it upon himself to correct others, is likely to cultivate a habit of faultfinding, and soon his whole interest will be in picking flaws and finding defects. Do not watch others, to pick at their faults, or expose their errors. Educate them to better habits by the power of your own example. {CD 464.2}
Let it ever be kept before the mind that the great object of hygienic reform is to secure the highest possible development of mind and soul and body. All the laws of nature--which are the laws of God--are designed for our good. Obedience to them will promote our happiness in this life, and will aid us in a preparation for the life to come. {CD 464.3}
There's some EGW phrase where she told missionaries in a poor country to eat flesh foods, because there was not enough of a variety of food available there to sustain a vegetarian diet. The woman refused to follow this counsel and ended up dying of a disease, which could have been prevented if she had proper nutrition.

There is also counsel about fish that are caught in polluted waters, where sewage runs off from a city.

There is also counsel about dairy and eggs being unsafe in the future, then, which is the present, now. Most eggs and milk, consumed, are commercialized. The chickens live their whole lives packed together in cages, pooping on each other, and they get regular doses of antibiotics. That's not good. If you have to get eggs, they should be from ranging hens, from a private farm. Commercialized milk I would say is unsafe. If you have to get milk, get it from a private dairy, like Braums. They take very good care of their cows. But that's in only in Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I don't know about other parts of the land, or of the world.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service