Adventist Online

Why is SDA church condemning eating meat?

Views: 2754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Charliebwoyo: Show me where in the Bible that the Lord ate meat. I think that you will find in all cases it was fish. Of course, you can argue that that he ate the "meat" of the fish. 'nuff sed
Nuff Sed my process of deduction and logic I can prove that Jesus ate meat either lamb or goat. The passover celebration included killing and eating a lamb or goat and we know that Jesus observed the passover, below is an account and therer are many other examples in the New T.

Mar 14:12 And on the first day of the Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover, His disciples said to Him, Where do You desire that going we may prepare that You may eat the Passover?

Luk 22:7 And the day of the Unleavened Bread came, on which the Passover must be killed.
Luk 22:8 And He sent Peter and John, saying, Having gone, prepare for us the Passover, that we may eat.
Luk 22:9 And they said to Him, Where do You desire that we prepare?
Luk 22:10 And He said to them, Behold, you going into the city, you will meet a man carrying a pitcher of water. Follow him into the house where he goes in.
Luk 22:11 And you will say to the housemaster of that house, The Teacher says to you, Where is the guest room where I may eat the Passover with My disciples?
Luk 22:12 And that one will show you a large upper room which he has spread. Prepare there.
Luk 22:13 And having gone, they found as He had told them, and they prepared the Passover.
Luk 22:14 And when the hour came, He reclined, and the twelve apostles with Him.
All good Jewish boys ate meat, it was part of the festivities and culture, Jesus was a good Jewish boy.
Good point Denny. SDAs have followed suit .... only 4% of North American SDAs are vegan.
Charlie, you are acting very childish looking for a argument or trying to be smart!!! Did u not ever eat melons for desert after you ate your favorite flesh pot?

sky
The point is brother sky the COI was longing for life in Egypt, the mention the meat they also mention the herbs and they also mention the fruit. You argued that they were seeking after meat when the text indicates thatthey were longing for life in Egypt rather than life in wilderness. You implied ot was all about eating meat when it was deeper that just eating meat. It was them rejecting God's rulership and longn to go back to Egypt.

I also thought that we were not suppose to get personal and name calling and hurling insults. I forgive you my brother but please again dont make a doctrine of no meat eating from Numbers 11.
God has promised to give us food which is convenient for us. What food is most convenient? In the first place, what is food? In a certain sense, air and water are food. Bread is food. Anything that supplies the material needs of the body is food. We have three kinds of food, solid, liquid, and gazeous. Solid food is to the body the same as coal or fuel are to the engine. We need energy all the time, because we are wasting. We are continually losing energy in the form of heat and in the work that we do.

God has provided, in the order of nature, that the vegetable kingdom should be the means of storing up the energy that is passed down to the earth from the sun. "It is His life that we receive in the sunshine." Education,197. That is God's method of storing energy. Otherwise the sun would strike the earth and glance off. There is nothing on the moon to store up energy, no vegetation there, and so the sunlight goes off without doing any good.

Now the very first lesson that God gave man in the beginning, the very first word that He said to him, so far as we have any record, is on the subject of diet. That was His first lesson. He began by telling him what to eat. "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree, yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

So you see there is such a thing as vegetable meat, seeds, nuts, and fruits, and that was the food that God gave to man. That is vegetable meat, that is heavenly meat. Now the seeds, nuts, and fruits have energy stored up in them; and they are the natural diet of man.

We do not have to go into any discussion over this. We do not have to study a man's physiology and anatomy, or anything else about him, to find out what he should eat. We find it right here in the Bible.

sky
Sky we are going to go around in circle again because you are quoting the edenic diet as God's ideal diet, so why do we eat cook food if this is the case. Why dont we survive on a diet of fruits and nuts as instructed in the gaden of eden.

The fact of the matter is? it is not a sin to eat meat regardless of what you may think. Just like ideally we should 40 minutes of exercise a day, but if we dont we are not sinning. It is ideal that we drink 8 oints of water a day but if we dont we are not sinning, it is ideal that we cut out meat flesh from our diet but we partake we are not sinning. And contrary to your implication nit is not sa soul salvation issue, because Jesus clearly ate meat and he is our example, not you and not your brigade of only non flesh eaters will be translated either.
We really don't need personal attacks Sky. You won't qualify as an end time perfect person. Better work harder.

If vegetables were so important .... why didn't Ellen White eat them?

BTW ... Have you become a Seventh day Adventist? I noticed that you are "using" Ellen White quotes.
how do u get clean meat
33 But while the meat was still between their teeth and before it could be consumed, the anger of the LORD burned against the people, and he struck them with a severe plague.

So Sky, which one are you accusing of being a liar? God who told Moses what to write or Moses himself? Or maybe some scribe somewhere along the way rewrote this verse and sinned by changing God's word and everyone else just kept that sin going?

The text clearly says this plague was caused by God. Furthermore it makes it clear the matter was not natural because the plague struck while they were still chewing but had not consumed the flesh. Presumably that means before they swallowed but that is only an assumption. Having struck that quickly also makes it unlikely to be a natural occurrence. There are exotic fast acting food poisons, but it is not common to find them in fresh killed meat without the animal itself appearing to be very sick.

If you aren't twisting the scriptures you are at the very least subtracting from them by saying God did not send the plague. That also is a sin.

Something else that must be considered though is the symbolism of these events. Even though these are actual events they do illustrate certain spiritual principles and the desires of the flesh are a problem for us all. The other foods are included in this story precisely because they show the broad desires of the flesh. Christians too often try to narrow their definitions of things specifically so they can remain blind to the deeper spiritual applications of the laws and stories such as hate being murder because it reduces the vitality of the life one lives. The Pharisees were excellent at this kind of thing and modern Christians seem to do it rather well too.

One thing I am curious about though. I learned long ago that when things are specifically named like the quail and the list of vegetables it is not by accident. They are always included in the story for some symbolic reason. I've never studied the spiritual representation of these vegetables but it could add significant understanding to the specific lusts of the flesh God is addressing here. It is also quite significant that the flesh provided was birds. Birds represent spirits in biblical symbolism; doves are of course the Holy Spirit and other birds represent other spirits. I've never tried to determine what a quail is, but in this story God must be addressing both a spiritual and a fleshly matter with these particular birds.
This is blasphemy.

Why would God command Noah that he could eat meat?

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything (Genesis 9:3).

I acknowledge that man's diet before this was vegetables, but the atmospheric conditions were MUCH different then. God sent the flood to lower man's lifespan (Genesis 6:3). How could a flood lower man's lifespan?

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened (Genesis 7:11).

Kent Hovind, a creation scientist, says that the long lifespans could account for an extra layer of atmospheric water around the earth. There would have been giants (Genesis 6:4) and creatures would have lived longer (in fact, Dr. Hovind argues, that the dinosaurs were nothing more than giant lizards!). When this layer was removed, lifespans shrunk and the "dinosaurs" inexplicably went "extinct".

God would have had man eat animals because, even though he originally sustained them on a vegetable diet (the veggies pre-Flood would have been nutrient rich!), they also would have needed the extra energy that can be found only in meat. I'm no health expert, but I'm fairly certain you have to consume a lot of veggies to make up for the calories, protein, etc. which are freely available and replete in meat, right?

As for why this is blasphemous, it credits God for doing evil. Scripture teaches in James 1:13:

Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one (James 1:13).

Likewise in 1 Timothy 4:1-5:

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

As for the testing in the wilderness, God punished Israel because they ignored His provision for them. It was a test for showing lack of faith. He didn't just somehow curse meat.

I applaud Adventists for trying to eat healthier and I think its definitely something more people should emulate, but neither should people pretend like its a lesser law to eat meat . Sure, it wasn't God's original intent, but the conditions of the world were different then.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service