Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 1991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MsMS. The snippets are Present Truth from the Bible and SOP. But from my experience on the Forum ... I've found that people don't read long quotes. So, I present Truth in snippets and expect true seekers to look up the rest rather than me hand feeding them. We are all grown ups here after all.

N Him

You stated, in regards to Ellen White, that "she often attended drama." 

Few Popular Amusements Are Safe.--Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle and open the door to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul.  {AH 515.3} 

"Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle and open the door to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul.  {ML 87.3}  
     "Our only safety is to be shielded by the grace of God every moment, and not put out our own spiritual eyesight so that we will call evil, good, and good, evil. Without hesitation or argument, we must close and guard the avenues of the soul against evil."  {ML 87.4}

"Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle and open the door to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul. " {PP 459.3} 

Yet, according to "N Him,"

"Our prophet was not opposed to drama."

So, who do we beleive?

Maranatha :)
Ray

Rosanna

Yes, Please go to the theater, when they are holding an evangalistic camplaign there. 

Or as someone said: "Why?"  Virtually everything you can see there, you can see at home on your TV or Video, or on the Internet.  Why waste the money on the theater?

Where we go and what we enjoy tells the Universe which power we have chosen to serve.  See Roman 6:16.  We become a slave of the silver screen, if we choose to spend our God given funds to see the Devil's lies. 

It is a law of the mind that we become like what we dwell on, just like it is a law of the body that we become what we eat.  Remember this law fo the mind:

"Everything that we pay attention to, is permenantly stored in our minds and will affect every choice we will ever make the rest of our lives."  Also see Christian Education, page 119.1 etc.

This is a physically documented fact as well as a spiritual one.  So, guard well the avenues of your mind.

So, inspiration says:

The apostle sought to teach the believers how important it is to keep the mind from wandering to forbidden themes or from spending its energies on trifling subjects. Those who would not fall a prey to Satan's devices, must guard well the avenues of the soul; they must avoid reading, seeing, or hearing that which will suggest impure thoughts. The mind must not be left to dwell at random upon every subject that the enemy of souls may suggest. The heart must be faithfully sentineled, or evils without will awaken evils within, and the soul will wander in darkness. "Gird up the loins of your mind," Peter wrote, "be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; . . . not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: but as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."  {AA 518.2} 

Yes, I have attended the theater, when a travelogue was playing, or a historical documentary film was being shown.  See, it is not the location as much as it is what is happening there.  Likewise, TV is not in itself bad, but what we watch can be.  Likewise for video's etc.  I have the TV playing most of the Sabbath hours, with the programing of 3ABN playing.  The music, sermons and other fare keeps the mind on Jesus.

What you enjoy, tells who you love.  So, if you desire to attend the theater or watch questionable shows on TV, then this can be a warning that God does not have your heart.  That is the real problem with the theater.

Ray

Good Comments Ray
i have one question, does it make you any less of a person wether you watch movies or not? 

Daniel

You asked:

"i have one question, does it make you any less of a person wether you watch movies or not?"

Yes!

Ray

Jesus came to save, not put others down for what there doing. dont take what i say as jusifying sin. sin is wrong. and the enemy has brainwashed many. maybe he has done that to me in the past. you have those who are stern in there walk with God and those who will say laid back in there walk with God. i am not encouraging others to watch movies. but to those who have opened up a door that they cannot seem to close, just dont give up the faith

I would not. I would also not encourage anyone else to either. I also have now stayed away from movies at my own home. They are not innocent. I do not know why we sometimes want to get as close to the edge as we can w/o trying to fall off. Its a risk that often ends in failure. Here are some of my reasons. 

Movie directors: Many of them have a pagan/atheistic  background and we give them hours of our time. If I have someone coming repeatedly back to me, I'm going to teach them what I believe, even if its subtle or slowly. These people do not miss a chance. Be careful. 

Actors: Why are they so good? Well, quite a number of the most famous actors have admitted to allow themselves to be possessed. Yes, possessed. I'm sure some won't believe me, until they dig and see the facts for themselves. So now we have many anti-Chrisitan directors teaching us garbage, and we also have demon possessed actors being lead by well, there u have it. And we pretend everything is ok. False. 

Subliminal messages: Its everywhere, and movies are def not an exception. I've seen some amazing results come about through subliminal messages. Its amazing how one can be manipulated without them even knowing. Truly sad. 

Now, with these shorts I've shared, I'm sure I'll raise doubt and skepticism. Some may think God will guard them against this but truth is, God's promises are CONDITIONAL. We break our end, why should He hold on to His? Of course God wants to be by our side, and will draw near to us. We cannot make unwise choices and pretend we'll always be protected though :( 

So, for whoever is up for research and deep study, I recommend watching BATTLEFIELD HOLLYWOOD on vimeo. It is 4 parts, and I promise that whoever watches the entire thing will not think the same as b4 watching it. Truth. 

Jose, I agree!  Little Light Ministries have done a great service in exposing the evils of Hollywood in their Battlefield Hollywood series.  This is a great recommendation!

I had my convictions before seeing their presentations, but there were tons more that I learned from those guys.  God bless their ministry and I look forward to their upcoming documentary on NEW START.

They did an above average as of late job in shattering through the darkness provided by watching movies. I also had a few thoughts on them as I was doing my own studies, trying to draw closer to God. I used to watch so many movies, so many, all the time. The last few years, 4 or so, I've seen like 3. I think its just about over though :) I learned so much form Battlefield Hollywood. 

Do they have a site to go more directly to? I've tried to go to their ministry page but hasn't really worked for me. Also, what is their new documentary about? I haven't heard about it or New Start. Curious :) 

Hey Jose,

Along with music, I loved movies too; so I can relate.  My husband and I purged our movies, music, and video games collection as well long before I had heard about Pastor Ivor Myers who was also very inspirational to the guys over at Little Light.

Here is their website: http://littlelightstudios.tv/

Their new documentary is called Pulse and is based on the NEW START program which was introduced to many in our SS Quarterly entitled Health and Healing (you may find it in the archive at ssnet.org).  NEW START is an acronym for Nutrition Exercise Water Sunlight Temperance Air Rest and Trust in God.

http://amazingdiscoveries.tv/ frequently airs their presentations as well.  And, you can also find them on facebook.

Jose

This is a topic that I have spent a number of years researching from serveral angles, as some other topics I researched also dealt with it.  What you say is correct.  However, it only clips the top of a few high points.  As you know, if you dig deeper, it gets even worse.

Ray

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com