Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 1999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm is it ok to wonder after the world for (joy)? If we were doing everything the world was doing in the day of Noah would we be on that boat? Or would we be laughing at the people warning us to change our ways and not wonder after the world?
Pleasure lovers are still crowding to theaters, horse races, gambling hells. The highest excitement prevails, yet probation's hour is fast closing, and every case is about to be eternally decided. Satan sees that his time is short. He has set all his agencies at work that men may be deceived, deluded, occupied, and entranced until the day of probation shall be ended, and the door of mercy forever shut.--Southern Watchman, Oct. 3, 1905.

Christian Service (1925), page 51, paragraph 2
Shows and Theaters.--Satan's ruling passion is to pervert the intellect and cause men to long for shows and theatrical performances. The experience and

character of all who engage in this work will be in accordance with the food given to the mind.

Evangelism (1946), page 266, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: Preaching the Distinctive Truths
These poor souls are engaged in a wild chase after worldly pleasure and earthly riches. They have no knowledge of anything more desirable. But games, theaters, horse races, will not satisfy the soul. Human beings were not created to be satisfied in this way, to spend their money for that which is not bread. Show them how infinitely superior to the fleeting joys and pleasures of the world is the imperishable glory of heaven. Seek to convince them of the freedom and

hope and rest and peace there is in the gospel. "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst," Christ declared.--Manuscript 12, 1901.

Evangelism (1946), page 267, paragraph 4
I can see that there are alot of Pleasure seeking Adventists that are proud of their ability to run to a movie theater. Sad.
Very well put with Bible and SOP.

I found out that my job is to pray for those that are in the dark, and pray for strength, from God, to overcome those things.

Keep your eyes on Jesus, and pray.
The thrill of the defiance eh? Nothing wrong with enjoying your self at a social engagement. The problem comes in as to what is the real fun.
Yes. Well ... as an SDA ... I believe that Ellen White was a prophet.

She went to the theaters ... so .....
When did she go, and,
can you show me the text that said she did?
" I spoke to the Sabbath keepers on the Sabbath and tried to comfort the little flock, I spoke words to the children, a few not of our faith were present. I felt the blessing of the Lord while I was trying to bless others. Sunday I spoke in the Theatre Royal to a good audience, and they appeared to be interested. The Lord strengthened and blessed me. " Ellen White in 1888 p.1173

Thus we can see that it is not the building that is evil. It is what is in the building that makes it good or bad. So, we need to make sure that whatever movie we go to see ... that it is worth our while. God gave us a brain to decern that. Not all movies are evil. There are many that would be worth our time going to the theaters to see. I think this is what is represented here.
And the year as you asked for ... was 1893.
Hi N Him.

I read the quote that you have posted and these are the words that came to my mind after reading them.

This is shameful and embarrassing. Is this the best we can do when seeking to justify going to the movies ? We are verily weaker than water.

This quotation does not endorse going to the movies. It does not even speak about viewing anything in the theater. What is happening to us ? Because Sister White spoke to some people in a building that happened to be a theater we are now to assume that this is proof that we can go to the movies ?

Sunday I spoke in the Theatre Royal to a good audience, and they appeared to be interested.

How do we equate speaking in a theatre with watching a movie ? This is sad indeed.

Even the Bible proves that just because people are in a theatre or go into a theatre does not mean they are there watching a movie.

And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul's companions in travel, they rushed with one accord into the theatre. (Acts 19:29)

Brother, if you have another quotation that shows that Sister White went to the theater to watch movies please post it. Otherwise, this looks pretty bad; seizing upon anything to sanction our preferences for recreation or amusement.

Thank you for allowing my reply.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by