Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 2003

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

N Him's points was that theatres are not bad in and of themselves.
Guns are not bad of themselves either. It is what you do with them
Looks like some are graping at straws to justify a position. Our church that I go to had to at one point rent a room in the same building as a bar with a bowling alley, Did that mean the church endosed the bar? I never heard of any one going over after church for a cold one.
You guys are funny.....What was she doing in this place....watching a movie?

Let's keep thing in context please. She spoke of a place where God used her to speak, not to watch. In that same letter, she write in a little more detail of that following Sunday.

A letter to Mr. Harmon Lindsay, Battle Creek, Mich.
In that letter Sister White spoke: "I was strengthened to speak seventeen times, once in the Theatre Royal, and had a good hearing, and this removed a great deal of prejudice, and we had a good attendance from outside. After the tent was taken down, I spoke twice in the Adventist church, a neat commodious building. The Sunday after the camp-meeting we had an appointment for Hastings, a town fourteen miles from Napier. Hastings, a small town, is situated in one of the best farming districts of New Zealand. Hastings is a little inland, and is more sheltered from the sea breezes than Napier is. When camp-meeting was first proposed for New Zealand, they thought Hastings the place, but finally decided to have it as Napier because more of our people live there. The ride from Napier to Hastings was very pleasant, the road was as level as the floor, so to speak, and several miles of it near the sea side. I spoke in the theatre to a good congregation who listened with deepest interest. This discourse was well received. There are but very few Sabbath-keepers there, four I believe."

"Napier is a beautiful place, the resident portion of the town being built on a series of high hills overlooking the sea. {BEcho, June 1, 1893 par. 3}
Sunday evening I spoke on "The Love of God" to an attentive audience in the Theatre Royal."

"For several days we laboured earnestly for the Auckland church. Evening meetings were held as often as the brethren could attend, and each Sabbath and Sunday was fully occupied. Twice I spoke in the theatre to attentive audiences". BEcho, May 15, 1893

August 1, 1902 A Call to Service.
"Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together." John 4:35-36

"True indeed are these words. Everywhere there are hearts crying out for the living God. The Lord has His representatives in all the churches. These persons have not had the special testing truths for the last days presented to them under circumstances that brought conviction to the heart and mind; therefore they have not, by rejecting light, severed their connection with God. There are those that have faithfully walked in all the light that has shone upon their pathway. They hunger to know more of the ways and works of God. All over the world men and women are looking wistfully to heaven. Prayers and tears and inquiries go up from souls longing for light, for grace, for the Holy Spirit. Many are on the very verge of the kingdom, waiting to be gathered in. These demand the service of those to whom God has entrusted His truth.

And those also who are dead in trespasses and sins demand our service. The man who is wholly absorbed in his counting room, the man who finds pleasure at the gaming table, the man who loves to indulge perverted appetite, the frequenter of the theatre and ball-room, put eternity out of their reckoning. The whole burden of their life is, What shall we eat? what shall we drink? and wherewithal shall we be clothed? They are not in the procession that is moving heavenward. They are led by the great apostate, and with him will be destroyed. All around us are souls perishing in their sins. Every year thousands upon thousands are dying without God and without hope of eternal life. The plagues and judgments of God are in the land, and souls are going to ruin because the light of truth has not been flashed upon their pathway".
AUCR, August 1, 1902

"Sunday evening I spoke on "The Love of God" to an attentive audience in the Theatre Royal." BEcho, June 1, 1893

In Christian homes a bulwark should be built against temptation. Satan is using every means to make crime and degrading vice popular. We cannot walk the streets of our cities without encountering flaring notices of crime presented in some novel, or to be acted at some theatre. The mind is educated to familiarity with sin. The course pursued by the base and vile is kept before the people in the periodicals of the day, and everything that can arouse passion is brought before them in exciting stories.

There is need of relaxation; but temperance should be exercised in amusements, as in every other pursuit. The character of these amusements should be carefully and thoroughly considered. He who seeks pleasure among those that know not God, is placing himself on Satan's ground, and inviting his temptations. Every youth should ask himself seriously, What influence will these amusements have on physical, mental, and moral health? Will my mind become so infatuated as to forget God? shall I cease to have His glory before me?

Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card-table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle, and open the doors to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul.
" {BEcho, October 15, 1894 par. 6}

Oh, I forgot to give a bible verse.

Phil. 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Good follow up. Brother Manns. It's pitiful to see how some poor souls are using flimsy and hollow arguments against the Spirit of prophecy to gratify the desires of the carnal heart. Let's keep up the good work and continue to pray earnestly for ourselves and deceived souls.
Thanks all ... I think it has proved the point rather niecely. As most here are in agreement with it. All this was started by one member questioning if EGW had ever gone to a theater. I provided the proof of when and where. I think that should satisfy most here.
Amen Brother
Yes John. Good Points. When we go to the theater ... we need to use good judgment. I think that is what we can learn.
If one is grounded in Him ... when we see things from the Devil ... they will be obvious.
Then we need to get grounded so we can get out and enjoy those good movies. There's been a lot of good Christmas movies on lately ... expecially on the Hope Channel
Both the internet and television ... are one of the greatest tools for the Gospel to be spread.
I beg to differ with my friend. But the original post is asking if it is OKAY to go to theaters. THE BUILDING ... not what is IN the building. These are two distinct issues. And it has clearly been show that the building is not the problem. Mrs. White went to the building. So, if we wanted a side bar as to what is good to see and what is not good to see ... that would be another thread.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service