Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 1990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi NHim.

Do you think it might be worthwhile to mention that Ellen White did not go to the theatre to watch movies but to evangelize ? This may be an important piece of information which you left out that someone needs. After all that was the question that opened this discussion.

We should not try to make it appear that she supported something that she did not. That would not be forthright.

Thank you for allowing my reply.
Hi John.

Ah but there is need for explanation my friend.

We are so prone to misunderstanding and miscommunication that we should do all we can to try to minimize this possibility. Your question is a very good example of what I mean and proves my point eloquently. Hence the need for explanation.

By the way - why are we so short with each other as if we don't have time to talk with one another. Is this how Christ intends for brothers and sisters to relate ? Just a thought.

Let's look at your statement and question.

John said: Do you believe it's a SIN for families to laugh, have fun? Let's just say you visited the Grand Canyon, but to your surprise, everyone there wasn't SDA or "saved", would you pack up and leave ?

Please forgive me if I don't seem to be "getting it". Are you serious about this question ?

Isn't this SDA 101 ? Come on brother, surely you know what sin is.

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4) and selfishness is the foundation of all sin. {ST, April 11, 1900 par. 7}

I believe that sin is exactly what God says it is. No different from the Savior's definition of sin - nothing more and nothing less. Since when was it given to us to say what is a sin and what is not a sin anyway ?

Have you found some Bible verse or statement in the Spirit of prophecy where God tells us that it is a sin to be happy ? Please share it with me so I can pray and get understanding.

John said: Let's just say you visited the Grand Canyon, but to your surprise, everyone there wasn't SDA or "saved", would you pack up and leave?

Please forgive me brother for my dullness. I must not be getting it. Are you serious about this question ?

First of all no one is "saved" if they are still here on this earth struggling against sin in his or her life.

Secondly, I have to ask again - Are you really serious about this question ?

Why would I pack up and leave from visiting the Grand Canyon because everyone is not a 7th Day Adventist or a Christian when these are the kind of people who I work with from day to day ? How could I go to work everyday and interact with these people and then pack up and leave the Grand Canyon just because these kind of people happen to be there ? These are the same kinds of people that the Lord has used me to bring to Christ and to share the 3 angel's messages with. .

Please forgive me brother, you are not making any sense to me.

Let me give you an answer that may help understand this issue of happiness.

It is only a sin to be happy if we are happy with the things that God says are sinful.

Hi John.

John said: Those who were brands plucked from the fire, are not saved, but still lost until Jesus comes ?

It would probably be best to define the terms we are using. So here's my question in response to yours. Saved from what ?

Thank you for allowing me a reply.
Hi John.

Yes, I am a student of Word who is still in school. I just wanted you to post your meaning clearly and the verses which you will use to support it.

For the record: here is what I propose the Bible teaches and the Spirit of prophecy affirms.

No one who is alive today and still struggling with sin in his or her life is already saved from the penalty, power or presence of sin until...

His or her probation closes
His or her sins have been blotted out in the judgment
He or she is resurrected or translated at the return of Jesus Christ. .

We are in the process of being saved from the power of sin.
By a living faith we trust in the blood of Christ that we are saved from the penalty of sin which is the second death
When Christ returns we will be saved from the presence of sin.

Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us; (2 Corinthians 1:10)

Now let's look at the verse in Zechariah that you are referring to - And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire ? (Zechariah 3:2)

Let's get right to it - John said: The Scriptures found in Zachariah 3:1-10, speaks with respect to brands or souls redeemed from the power of sin and satan.

I agree that this verse is speaking about God's people.

Question is this speaking about the experience of God's people in the present or is it speaking about an experience that they will have in the future ?

Zechariah 3:10 gives us the answer -

In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree. (Zechariah 3:10)

In that day refers to the future not the present. The rest of the verse proves it.

"ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree"

Is that happening now or is it one of our heavenly Father's wonderful promises of the life we shall enjoy in the future ? The answer is obvious.

No one is already saved unless his or her name has already come up in the judgment and they have been found faithful. Therefore Zechariah 3:1-10 is speaking of a future experience for most of God's people living today.

it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27)

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (Revelation 20:12)

Let's consult the Spirit of prophecy for additional commentary from an inspired source.

Joshua here represents the people of God; and Satan pointing to their filthy garments claims them as his property over which he has a right to exercise his cruel power. But these very ones have improved the hours of probation to confess their sins with contrition of soul and put them away, and Jesus has written pardon against their names. Those who have not ceased to sin and who have not repented and sought pardon for their transgressions are not represented in this company; for this company vex their souls over the corruptions and iniquity abounding around them, and God will recognize those who are sighing and crying because of the abominations done in the land. They were not mixed up in these abominations. --Letter 51, 1886, pp. 8, 9.

Since the dead are to be judged out of the things written in the books, it is impossible that the sins of men should be blotted out until after the Judgment at which their cases are to be investigated. GC 485

When sin has been repented of, confessed, and forsaken, then pardon is written against the sinner's name; but his sins are not blotted out until after the investigative judgment. (ST, May 16, 1895 par. 3)

Hi John.

John there is nothing to be cleared up. The truth of the sanctuary is what it is and that's where Christ is.

The Bible - Daniel 8:14, Hebrews 5:9, Revelation 14:6,7

Thank you for allowing me a reply.
Hi John

You said: If one isn't saved, then they're lost. There's no middle ground. I pray these texts will help your understanding!

John, I don't believe we have the power or wisdom or love to rightly decide whether someone is lost. That is why God has a judgment. It is the mercy of God that unbelievers still have an opportunity to not be lost as long as their probation has not closed. God does not decide that someone is lost until after the judgment.

But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right , he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Ezekiel 18:21)

Conversely, the Bible makes plain that a righteous person is not already saved and can be lost.

When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness , and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it. (Ezekiel 33:13)

If you cannot accept the Bible and Spirit of prophecy statements regarding this, then you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

The Bible and the Spirit of prophecy are clear enough for me. Thanks for the offer of help though.

Best not to swallow hook line and sinker the radical opinions of men. Study for yourself. And do resist the legalistic leanings our prophet so warned us about the last days.
As far as going to the movies, I don't think the problem is going to the Movie theathers but more so what movie one is choosing to go see when going to the theather. I'm not SDA, but I would like to read a lot of Ellen White's writings to see what she has to say about the matter. And the person who was talking about Ghoul movies and the crime tv shows I believe it was MsMs, I can agree it's getting ridiculous. Just last weekend I was at home watching a horror movie called Saw, and it was the most horrible demonic movie I have ever seen in a long time I regret watching it and had nightmares and lack of sleep all week. It's pretty slim pickings when selecting movies to watch, because even Disney movies project a lot of bad things with its wizardry and voo doo magic that is done in their movies even in their new one the Princess and the Frog. It's just feel it's personal conviction, and where a person is on their Christian walk.
Excellent points Mz Rae. I agree.
Mz. Rae, I am a SDA. I would sugest to you to go to: http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org

and put the word Theater in the FULL SEARCH box and enjoy.

Satan has had a long time to study how to get to the masses, and he is going very well with the media, all media.

There's nothing on TV but blood and gore.

Keep looking...and may God bless you.

It's not about being a SDA, it's about being a TRUE child of God.

Only 8 people got on the Ark.

Only 3 people left Sadom and Gamorrah

What a small number!

Strive to be part of that number when Jesus comes.

Matt. 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
24:41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

This is not a secret rapture. Jesus, in this parable says: WATCH THEREFORE.

It's all about your relationship with God.

7th Day Adventist simply means: Keeping the 7th day as the Sabbath (Saturday), and
waiting for the 2nd coming of the Lord. (He came once already and was rejected by His own people).

Be Bless as you get more info on this and other subjects.
www.anthony-manns.blogspot.com
Hi guys, I left u for a while... I need to retype my question avoiding misunderstandings... IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS TO WATCH MOVIES? lol
Hi John.

There is no other way to be saved except through Christ. However, it should be very clear that we are by no means already saved from the presence of sin. And if we were already saved from the power of sin then we would not need God's grace everyday. Hebrews 4:16 - Luke 9:23

I think I'm beginning to see why you and others won't refer to the Spirit of prophecy. That's because it would quickly clear up everything regarding any Scripture questions about salvation and it may not harmonize with your views and interpretations.

Thank you for allowing me a reply

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by