Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 2003

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing half truth about what the answer to the OP is. No doubt about it. I don't know about any amended question. I was answering the OP.

At times our church will hold evangelistic meetings in theaters. At times they will show movies there. Again ... I am confident that since our prophet went to theaters for this purpose ... I doubt she would be offended with what we are doing now.

"Get over the idea that you are not used right, that you are wronged, that somebody wants to crowd or harm you. You see through false eyes. Satan leads you to take these distorted views of things".--2T 424 {2MCP 589.1}

"Your dependence must be in God. You are not to let other men empty their minds into your mind. You are not to allow them by their persuasions to lead you into false paths. Put your trust wholly in Him who declares, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5).--Lt 92, 1903.
For all who are not aware of it or don't remember, the poster (Rosanna Pena) posted a clarification to her original question.

I will post it here and you can check for yourself.

Permalink Reply by Rosanna Pena on January 24, 2010 at 6:19pm
Hi guys, I left u for a while... I need to retype my question avoiding misunderstandings... IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS TO WATCH MOVIES? lol

That was Rosanna's post clarifying her question.

It may at times be necessary for the servant of God to vindicate his own character, and to defend his course, that the Lord's name may be glorified, and the truth be not reproached. {ST, July 27, 1882 par. 15}

Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words. (Proverbs 23:9)

Ellen White and others have used movie theaters and other buildings and facilities for evangelistic purposes but she did not endorse drama or the attendance at theaters for entertainment.

Thank you for allowing my reply.
So ... it's clearly what is presented in the theater that Sister White is concerned with. We just need to be wise about which movies we go to see. Obviously ... the movies shown at evangelistic meeting in theaters would be considered okay.
That's between him and God, but personnally, I do not agree with the topic of the movie, and the violence.

That would apear to be his view of The Word of God.

It's a relationship thing.

I will still show him love.

But I won't see the movie, by God's Grace.
no it is not proper for adventists
For the most part movies are a big waste of time. However there are some with educational value.

There's no law against watching a movie, or there would be a law against seeing a play in the Bible, for they had plays back then.

However, not all things that are lawful are things that edify, (1 Cor. 10:23). There are also warnings against wasting time, (Eph. 5:16).

My hope is that, one day Adventists will produce a series of movies that portray the Plan of Salvation, with high production value. I saw the Left Behind series, and I have to say, what a disgrace! How pitiful and sad are those who just want to cater to what they thing people want to hear.

The problem is what are you going to do at the movies. In every thing we do we should ask ourselves. these few and simple questions. Should brother JESUS be alive, would he do it. Now no that the wasn't been anything new under the sun. Just that things transform. In the olden days, a horse rider with a message for someone can be equated to a mobile phone in terms of its fastness in delivery. So likewise was there forms of entertainment during the days of Jesus Christ and the apostles. If we believe that Jesus went to a wedding in Cana, which means that if wedding existed in those day; forms of entertainments like movie theaters also existed. But of all these, brother JESUS never went to any of these although the Bible does not mention it. Can we really say that we could go to a movie and come back as pure in thoughts and action. If no then why go. Just take it that at the moment your records are been reviewed in Heaven. What do you think God will say. The other thing I can say is that, sometimes we might not necessarily go to the movies But the sort of movies and videos and music we play and watch in the comfort of our room can be equated to the movies. God bless you sister.
The problem is what are you going to do at the movies. In every thing we do we should ask ourselves. these few and simple questions. Should brother JESUS be alive, would he do it. Now no that the wasn't been anything new under the sun. Just that things transform. In the olden days, a horse rider with a message for someone can be equated to a mobile phone in terms of its fastness in delivery. So likewise was there forms of entertainment during the days of Jesus Christ and the apostles. If we believe that Jesus went to a wedding in Cana, which means that if wedding existed in those day; forms of entertainments like movie theaters also existed. But of all these, brother JESUS never went to any of these although the Bible does not mention it. Can we really say that we could go to a movie and come back as pure in thoughts and action. If no then why go. Just take it that at the moment your records are been reviewed in Heaven. What do you think God will say. The other thing I can say is that, sometimes we might not necessarily go to the movies But the sort of movies and videos and music we play and watch in the comfort of our room can be equated to the movies. God bless you sister.
Hi Rosanna.

In answer to your question - IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS TO WATCH MOVIES? which you posted on January 24, 2010 - I answer with this statement from the servant of the Lord.

The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers, or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind. To those who plead for these diversions, we answer, We cannot indulge in them in the name of Jesus of Nazareth. The blessing of God would not be invoked upon the hour spent at the theater or in the dance. No Christian would wish to meet death in such a place. No one would wish to be found there when Christ shall come. {RH, February 28, 1882 par. 6}

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; (1 Peter 1:13)

Thank you for allowing my reply
we all have movie theaters, right in our own homes. YOU decide what to watch, how much, when and why. Take it to God, ask Him to direct you. Peace.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service