Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 2005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If something offends God, does it matter where we watch it?!!!
Home is even worse to watch movies than the theater. You are more off guard in a supposed safe place.
Ahhh. That's why it's so good.
MsMS wrote,
Just like 95% of the movies shown in a movie theatre, the popcorn sold there is as unhealthy a food that can be found.

That was my point, not sure if you were agreeing with me or if you didn't understand the point I was making.
Hi

Remember, or get in touch with the reason that you are here.

EGW has much counsel on this if you would have it.

We are used to wasting a lot of time, but God has work for us to do, and if we would do it many of the questions of this type would not be considered. We'd be busy you see.

We are only here for a short time. We are to have our characters improved and to share to all the knownledge of who God is.

Yes, we need time to relax etc, but how?

Time is short.

Take Care
to tell the truth i am havin a BIG problem with this also and no one can give me a definate answer
Praise God Atul. Thanks for your personal testimony. How precious.
Hi Darnell. Sorry if we are neglecting your problems. Can you tell us more specifically what your issues/problems are?
Brother Darnell, It's all about your relationship with God.

Where are you with that?

Do you love God enough to give up the worldly things of life?

Mark 4:18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,
4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
4:20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive [it], and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

What's that song: Turn your eyes upon Jesus...Behold His wonderful face...And the things of this world will go strangely dim...In the Light of His Glory and Grace.

It's up to you. If Jesus was here, and He is, by faith, and you are following Him, will He, Jesus, go to the movies. I don't think so. He would be going after His lost sheep, and returning them to the fold.

Oh that brings us to this point....The Prodicle Son...He was out there....But thank God, when he regained his mind, he went back home.

It's your choice.

Keep the faith Brother.
Hi Darnell.

I believe our heavenly Father can give you a definite answer about whether it is okay to go the theatre to watch movies. He reveals His will for our lives in the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy. Look there to find out what God wants us to do with our minds and your time because you can't go to movie theaters to watch movies without either of these. The Spirit of prophecy has lots to say about recreation and amusement. I'll give you a few principles to help start with your research. Don't trust in your own feelings or desires about what is right to do. To each his own could prove to be deadly advice to follow in this case as with many others.

He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered. (Proverbs 28:26)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.(Proverbs 3:5)

Don't do what is right in your own eyes. - The way of a fool is right in his own eyes : but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. (Proverbs 12:15)

Primary principle in the Bible for guarding the mind -

LET THIS MIND BE IN YOU WHICH WAS ALSO IN CHRIST JESUS - (Philippians 2:5)

The natural mind leans toward pleasure and self-gratification. It is Satan's policy to manufacture an abundance of this. He seeks to fill the minds of men with a desire for worldly amusement, that they may have no time to ask themselves the question. How is it with my soul? The love of pleasure is infectious. Given up to this, the mind hurries from one point to another, ever seeking for some amusement. Obedience to the law of God counteracts this inclination, and builds barriers against ungodliness.-- Review and Herald, Vol. 63, No. 21, 1886.

Can we mingle in entertainments, amusements, parties and suppers with those who have no thought of God or heaven, without slighting God? Is not His Spirit grieved by the worldly, frivolous entertainments to which Christ cannot be invited, to which He would not go unless it were to seek and save the lost? {18MR 265.1}

The eternal God has drawn the line of distinction between the saints and the sinners, the converted and the unconverted. The two classes do not blend into each other imperceptibly, like the colors of the rainbow. They are as distinct as midday and midnight. {PH145 15.1}

Among the most dangerous resorts for pleasure is the theater. Instead of being a school for morality and virtue, as is so often claimed, it is the very hotbed of immorality. Vicious habits and sinful propensities are strengthened and confirmed by these entertainments. {MYP 380.2}

There is no influence in our land more powerful to poison the imagination, to destroy religious impressions, and to blunt the relish for the tranquil pleasures and sober realities of life than theatrical amusements. The love for these scenes increases with every indulgence, as the desire for intoxicating drink strengthens with its use. The only safe course is to shun the theater, the circus, and every other questionable place of amusement. {CE 35.1}

The only safe amusements are such as will not banish serious and religious thoughts; the only safe places of resort are those to which we can take Jesus with us. {OHC 284. 5}

Any amusement in which they can engage asking the blessing of God upon it in faith, will not be dangerous; but any amusement which disqualifies them for secret prayer, for devotion at the altar of prayer, or for taking part in the prayer-meeting, is not safe, but dangerous. {PH145 33. 1} .

If we walk contrary to God, He will walk contrary to us. Our only safe course is to render obedience to all His requirements, at whatever cost. All are founded in infinite love and wisdom. --"Testimonies for the Church," Vol. 5, pp. 361-365.

See also Philippians 4:8, Romans 12:2, 2 Corinthians 10:5

Thank you Darnell for allowing my reply.
Hi John.

No I do not attend the movies. I used to go a lot before becoming a Christian. Lots of different movies. That was years ago. When I was in the world, I enjoyed being worldly. Still have not obtained total victory over everything that Christ wants me to but definitely do not enjoy being worldly any more. It grieves me to repentance when I fall.

I recognize that many people are movie and television minded so by the grace of God, I ask God for wisdom and His love as to the best way to reach them for Christ with the 3rd angel's message on their level. Brother Darnell said that he was having a big problem with this and could not get a definite answer. The best way that I have been able to help people who want answers is to not give them what I think but what God says.

I can find a movie poster (just with a google search) to help illustrate most of the important principles involved in the great controversy even though I have not seen the movies. I don't have to go to the movies to know what's out there. I just came from out there before I was converted. We're in the last days - what does God say is out there ?

But can I take a moment to point something out ?

Even if I did go to the movies, (which I don't), the principles would still be valid. My words and actions don't change the truth into a lie. It would just make me a hypocrite at the least. God works through imperfect human beings to reach other imperfect human beings with a message about a perfect plan for their salvation.

Principles are not right because you or I follow or obey them, right principles are right no matter what.

Thank you for allowing me a reply.
Excellent question posed John Parker. :)

I will give Tyrone credit. For him the choice of going to movies is not a good one. This may well be valid. But it does not mean that this is the case for all. Even Ellen White our prophet went to theaters. There is nothing evil in doing so. But one does need to have the power of discernment. And if you are weak and unable to make good choices ... then it is best you just decide not to go period.

So, in this case ... I think that the poster are both correct.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service