Adventist Online

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

Views: 1990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No he sugessted that YOU do the research.

Here this might help:

MR No. 534 - Ellen White's Rides in Automobiles

Brother Crocker of Los Angeles brought Sara and Minnie Hawkins and myself out in his automobile. The camp-meeting has been extended for another week.--Letter 240, 1908, p. 2. (To S. N. Haskell, August 16, 1908.) {8MR 19.1}

I understand that you have an automobile that you desire to place where it will be of service in the Lord's work. I know of no place where it could render greater service than at the Paradise Valley Sanitarium. This institution is situated six miles from the city, and an automobile would furnish a convenient and pleasant means of transportation for our workers and for the patients. {8MR 19.2}

If an automobile were owned by the Sanitarium, it should be cared for and operated by men who are capable and trustworthy. Otherwise it might be unsafe, and might involve large expense to the institution. But if proper caution is observed, an automobile would be a blessing to the Paradise Valley Sanitarium, and if you feel impressed to present your machine to the institution, it would be greatly appreciated by the managers, and also by the patients.--Letter 118, 1909, p. 1. (To James Morrow, June 24, 1909.) {8MR 19.3}

A week ago yesterday I spoke in the church in Los Angeles, and the house was crowded to its utmost capacity. I wish a picture could have been drawn of the crowd. That crowded congregation was the most agreeable sight I have ever looked upon, and everything was in order. Every receptacle for flowers was removed. Every seat that could be crowded in was occupied. There was not one crying voice of a child, and the pleasant, happy faces were a sight that brought joy to my heart and did my soul good. The sisters, as far as I could see, removed their hats, and what a pleasure it was to view their countenances. I had good freedom in speaking. {8MR 19.4}

At the close of the service, a brother brought us back to the Glendale Sanitarium in his automobile. Out of the kindness of his heart, this brother had thus accommodated us. I could but think that a blessing would rest upon him for the kindness he showed to us. We had the utmost confidence in his skill in managing his machine. {8MR 20.1}

BTW everyone worship God's differently.

In the end, those who are saved will worship the same. So why not start now, here on earth?

Rev.4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard [was] as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter.
4:2 And immediately I was in the spirit; and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and [one] sat on the throne.
4:3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and [there was] a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
4:4 And round about the throne [were] four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
4:5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and [there were] seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
4:6 And before the throne [there was] a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, [were] four beasts full of eyes before and behind.
4:7 And the first beast [was] like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast [was] like a flying eagle.
4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about [him]; and [they were] full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 4:9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Chap. Sixty - Knowledge of and Obedience to the Laws of Life

Wonders of the Human Body
We are God's workmanship, and His Word declares that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made."
He has prepared this living habitation for the mind; it is "curiously wrought," a temple which the Lord Himself has fitted up for the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.
The mind controls the whole man.
All our actions, good or bad, have their source in the mind.
It is the mind that worships God and allies us to heavenly beings.
Yet many spend all their lives without becoming intelligent in regard to the casket [the human body] that contains this treasure. {CG 360.1}

Like a computer, put junk in....get junk out:>)
I agree, Gab. lots of people out there are preaching for the good news but not doing it. too sad.
Hi Gabriel

Happy Sabbath!

I just want say something in regards to your "I don't see the big problem with movie theater's because I'm all about having fun and living life to the fullest" comment.

If you truly live life to the fullest, why are you spending it at the movies? God made us and the earth. He made all nature. There are so many adventures that can be had in God's Nature. Maybe living life to the fullest, can actually be done by spending it, in a place made by God. Not in a place made by man, where we spend at least 2 hours a day, in trance, watching some entertainment made by other humans, which portray violence, sex, adultery, profanity and the list goes on....

I am not judging you. I am merely expressing an opinion. I also like going to the movies. Its just a question I am asking myself.

However I think you should actually answer the questions other people are asking in this forum. You seem to be "beating around the bush".. just answering other people questions with your own. like you are avoiding the subject.

God Bless
All i think i have just got to say concerning this is this; anything you are engaged in that does not help focus your mind more on God will indirectly,focus your whole being to the devil and if it does focus your mind the more to God then you are on the right track!!!
I think that we as SDAs can follow the example of our prophet who went to theaters. So I would have to say it is okay.
i'm not into going out to the MOVIE theater to watch movies but i do watch movies at home, what's the difference? is there anyone here who never watch movies at all?
Hi Gabriel.

Thank you for posting a reference. I apologize for being so dull. Can you show me where in this reference does Ellen G. White say bicycles and automobiles are bad. I did not see it when I read the reference that you gave me. I will post the reference here so that you can show me. I have put in bold the instances where the word bicycle(s) appears.

(Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, pp. 51, 52)

In view of the terrible crisis before us what are those doing who profess to believe the truth? I was called by my Guide,who said, "Follow Me," and I was shown things among our people that were not in accordance with their faith. There seemed to be a bicycle craze. Money was spent to gratify an enthusiasm in this direction that might better, far better, have been invested in building houses of worship where they are greatly needed. There were presented before me some very strange things in Battle Creek. A bewitching influence seemed to be passing as a wave over our people there, and I saw that this would be followed by other temptations. Satan works with intensity of purpose to induce our people to invest their time and money in gratifying supposed wants. This is a species of idolatry. The example will be followed, and while hundreds are starving for bread, while famine and pestilence are seen and felt, because God cannot, according to His own name's glory, protect those who are working contrary to His will, shall those who profess to love and serve God act as did the people in the days of Noah, following the imagination of their hearts? {8T 50,51}

I was told by my Guide: "Look ye, and behold the idolatry of My people, to whom I have been speaking, rising up early, and presenting to them their dangers. I looked that they should bring forth fruit." There were some who were striving for the mastery, each trying to excel the other in the swift running of their bicycles. There was a spirit of strife and contention among them as to which should be the greatest. The spirit was similar to that manifested in the baseball games on the college ground. Said my Guide: "These things are an offense to God. Both near and afar off souls are perishing for the bread of life and the water of salvation." When Satan is defeated in one line, he will be all ready with other schemes and plans which will appear attractive and needful, and which will absorb money and thought, and encourage selfishness, so that he can overcome those who are so easily led into a false and selfish indulgence. {8T 52.1}

Is this investment of means and this spinning of bicycles through the streets of Battle Creek giving evidence of the genuineness of your faith in the last solemn warning to be given to human beings standing on the very verge of the eternal world? {8T 52.2}

Once again I apologize for being so dull. Can you show me in these statements where Ellen G. White says that bicycles and automobiles is bad. I still don't see it.

Thank you brother.
Hi John. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you that we should stay with the word of God.

However, brother Gabriel was making reference to a statement in the writings of Ellen G. White. He was not referring to a Bible verse. Fairness and Christian love suggest that we should allow for investigation of all our positions to see if we indeed stand upon the platform of truth.

How does one know when he or she has reached an intimate level with the Lord ? Are you suggesting that we have another test of experience other than the word of God or the Spirit of prophecy ?

Do you have a Bible verse or statement from the writings of Ellen G. White that says we are not supposed to test everything by the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy.

Please help me to understand why we should trust our conscience or our heart when trying to ascertain whether or not something is right or wrong.

Here are some words from the testimony of Jesus which has helped me and continues to help me.

Even the work of the Holy Spirit upon the heart is to be tested by the Word of God.
--General Conference Daily Bulletin, April 13, 1891.

The Holy Spirit always leads to the written word. --Ms 20, 1906.

--The Bible must be your counselor. Study it and the testimonies God has given; for they never contradict His Word.--Letter 106, 1907

The Holy Ghost is the author of the Scriptures and of the Spirit of Prophecy.--Letter 92, 1900.

Thank you brother for allowing me to take up some of your listening time.
Thank you John for replying with an explanation.

Perhaps I need to be corrected for having made a false assumption.

I thought that I was having a discussion with 7th Day Adventists.

We don't settle questions with people's experiences or seek a consensus of opinions to discover truth. Nor are we seeking a deep, abiding relationship which isn't validated by the word of God.

The Lord desires us to test our experiences and opinions by the Scriptures and the Spirit of prophecy. Even the work of the Holy Spirit on the heart is to be tested by the Bible.

We need not be naive in accepting every idea and opinion offered to us. We have reason for concern whenever investigations to discover the truth are derailed and human opinions are exalted.

By what means do we propose to know whether or not it is actually the Holy Spirit speaking, guiding and directing one's life as you speak of ? How will you get to the place of that experience without the word of God to guide you and protect you from self-deception ?

We would not know that Moses experience with God was genuine if it were not for the word of God. It is not possible to know your relationship with the Lord is deep and abiding or that He is leading, guiding and directing without subjecting your experience to the test of the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy.

Unless your words harmonize with the word of God, you are simply voicing your opinion and expressing your feelings which you have every right to do.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me brother.
Yes..John but you have spoken at least twice about a deep abiding relationship/experience with the Lord that settles questions posted in threads or matters of right and wrong.

John said: When we reach "intimate levels" with the Lord and are fully surrendered, does it take an eternity for the Holy Ghost to tell you and me what's right and wrong?

John said: I'm talking about a deep abiding relationship with the Lord such as the experience of Moses with God in the mountain.(space) It is this type experience with God that settles questions posted in threads throughout this site.

On the other hand I am suggesting that the answers to the questions in this thread and many others is settled by the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy.That's where Gabriel and I were headed when you began making your comments.

I am trying to understand what this experience is that you are referring to if it is not the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy which is to be used to settle questions regarding right and wrong. It sounds as if you are suggesting a deep abiding relationship with God as a means for distinguishing right from wrong which is superior to the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy.

Are you suggesting that a deep abiding relationship is a superior way of knowing right from wrong ? It cannot be. That deep abiding relationship itself must be tested by the word of God and the Spirit of prophecy.

Thank you for your patience brother.
Good morning John.

Thank you for sharing those thoughts with me.

I agree that deep prayer life, study and sharing one's faith will settle concerns about attending movies and wearing jewelry and other things as well. A real experience with Christ fortifies the mind against worldliness.

These practices will settle it for anyone in a personal sense. I am in total agreement with you in these things and would recommend them to Gabriel as sound counsel.

However, Gabriel did comment that there was no Bible references given for any of the replies about the original question that got this discussion going.

Here's the original question...

IS IT OK FOR SDA´S TO GO TO MOVIE THEATHERS?

and here's the comment that Gabriel made which I was replying to..

Gabriel said: Wow not a single biblical reference to support on this issue.

The answer you are suggesting and which I agree with does not answer the question directly nor does it address Gabriel's concern that no Biblical reference was given. In addition, Gabriel made a statement regarding the Lord's servant which was questionable and for which he gave no good reason.

While I agree with what you are saying John, I was more interested in directly addressing the question and Gabriel's concern and the questionable statement which he made regarding the Lord's messenger.

We all need a deeper experience in the things of God and this is no time to be trusting our salvation to impressions, feelings and opinions.

Thank you for allowing me to reply brother.
To all this I would say," where is your relationship with God at"?

Matt. 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

When that "still small voice" says don't go, listen. It's the Holy Spirit who speaketh.

Amen

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by