Adventist Online

I had been hearing sermons from good speakers and even from pastors. One of their tactics to awaken the minds, body and spirit of those who are listening to the sermons is to throw jokes or share some funny stories. This oftentimes happens during the divine service. I believe the whole Sabbath day is a holy day for God...

Is it proper to use jokes just by the purpose of getting the attention or focus of the listeners? What are those proper Christ-like attitude as our ethics to consider when speaking during the divine service or at any part of the program?

Views: 484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Jocelyn. Please, to those that said Jesus joke: I want know where in the Bible He joke? Every day of Jesus' life was about doing His father's business. Although He was social but did He really Joke? What is JOKE by the way?
Jose what do you make of this account in Matt 15

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."

23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

Either one of two things is happening here, either Jesus is being very rude, offensive and racist or He is exchanging a little humour/banter/tongue in cheek, sarcatsic wit, with the Caananite woman.
Charlie,

I dont see either of those 2 things. Sorry.

The time for the Gentiles had not yet come. She knew this, and notice her reply. Did you see the faith she had though? Pretty amazing huh... :)

Jesus, sarcastic (wit)? I don't understand how any Christian can put those 2 words in the same sentence together.
God bless you Jose

The time for the Gentiles had not come so Jesus calling one of his human creation a DOG was kind and thoughtful.

Well well well
Did the gospel of not come to them after the stoning of Stephen? Jesus did help her, did He not? Though primarily, who was it Jesus was preaching to? ... during His days here.

No one called her a dog. He was making an illustration, giving an example.
That's right Jose....He was not calling her a dog! Simply doing what only He can do best and that's teach, lovingly and full of compassion! The bible says that spiritual things are spiritually discerned and it takes the Holy Spirit to reveal His truths and His plans in all things!!
Thank you for clarifing this passage of scripture!!

Matt. 15:28 Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

"Clearly Jesus was only testing the woman's faith, not joking nor being rude."

Telling jokes about the Bible and the sacred work of God I think is not good. A friend said to me that even though your joke appears to be non-religous, by participating in this evil you show endorsement and support. Message was quoted from Ellen White's writing about this joking.

So, what about what EGW white told us in her writings about this?:

Those who profess to believe the third angel's message often wound the cause of God by lightness, joking , and trifling. I was shown that this evil was all through our ranks. I saw that there should be a humbling before the Lord. The Israel of God should rend the heart, and not the garment. Childlike simplicity is rarely seen; the approbation of man is more thought of than the displeasure of God. {MYP 129.2}

Said the angel, "Set your heart in order, lest He visit you in judgment, and the brittle thread of life be cut, and you lie down in the grave unsheltered, unprepared for the judgment. Or if ye do not make your bed in the grave, unless ye soon make

your peace with God, and tear yourselves from the world, your hearts will grow harder, and ye will lean upon a false prop, a supposed preparation, and find out your mistake too late to secure a well-grounded hope."--"Testimonies for the Church," Vol. 1, pp. 127-134.

The work of God is NOT the place for irreverent joking and jesting
Irreverent joking, I agree. It has no place.

But I can think of places in Scripture where joking or sarcasm were used to make a point.

One is the prophet Micaiah (1 King 22) and the other is the prophet Elijah (1 King 18:26-27). Paul said he wishes his enemies would castrate themselves (Galatians 5:12). So joking can have its place when spoken under the influence of the Spirit. It is a rhetorical advice given to make the truth clearer.
Thank you very much Bro. Derek for sharing your views..

Yes, I agree with you. It should have its proper when spoken. However, I think it is improper to throw or hear jokes when the congregation is laughing outloud because of the joke when it is Sabbath day, especially during the divine service...", It is no longer under the influence of the Holy Spirit...",

When we say "Holy Spirit", it is God at work—creating, speaking, transforming us, living within us, working in us. Although the Holy Spirit can do this work without our knowledge, it is helpful for us to know more.

When the Holy Spirit does something, God is doing it. When the Holy Spirit speaks, God is speaking. In one passage, Paul says that Christians are a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19); in another he says that we are God’s temple (1 Corinthians 3:16). A temple is for the worship of a divine being, not an impersonal power. When Paul writes "temple of the Holy Spirit," he implies that the Holy Spirit is God.

So, using jokes directly putting God's name in vain is irreverent. How much more using jokes or humor that is irreverent inside the church?

Yes, there are certain places in Scripture where joking or sarcasm were used to make a point. But then again, can we use it inside the church to make a point?
Thanks for this source of info Bro. Hammer...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service