Adventist Online

God's people are His chosen instrumentalities for the enlargement of His church in the earth. They are to seek the counsel of God. Worldly amusements and entertainments are to have no place in the life of the Christian. In following the way of the Lord is to be the strength of His people. Their faith in the gift of God's only-begotten Son is to be manifest. This will make its impression on the mind of the worldling. He who takes his position as separate from the world, and strives to become one with Christ, will be successful in drawing souls to God. The grace of Christ will be so apparent in his life that the world will take knowledge of him that he has been with Jesus, and has learned of Him.  {FE 514.2}

There are other quotes where she states that there are places that angels will not go. Please let me know your thought based on the SOP and not your opinions. Thanks!!!!!

Views: 2901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are always telling our young people where they shouldn't go,well let them know where they should go.What kind of entertainment do you recommend for our young people?I need some answers.

I don't condone sports, but I don't see anything wrong with riding a roller coaster.. They are apples and oranges.. One raises a competitive spirit up in a man that can lead down a bad road.. The other leaves everyone in agreement, usually saying "That was AWESOME let's go again!" Amusment parks are nothing like going to a movie or something, because there is nothing about a feris wheel, or roller coaster that can corupt the mind.....
There is nothing more to say you have answered already using SOP. so why ask the question unless you want someone to compromise the truth to say yes you can go? No you cannot and should not because not even Jesus went and there were places of amusement in His days.

He went to a weeding feast and in those times a feast was the height of amusement...

So where are you getting that form?

well it was a wedding feast and it was evident that He went into "bars" and such places hence the pharisees called him a wine bibber Matt 11:19. Even though He did not drink strong drinks they accused Him because of his visit to the places. To get back at amusement remember that Romans were ruling at the time and they used to have Colosseum and arena where fights were held for fun they were called theatre because that is where you gather to enjoy the fun among other persons. Check the history.

Where feasts for amusement or not, just answer the question....?

Just for the record we are not adressing sick, twisted adn preverse forms of amusment like bars, adn coluseums where you get giggles out of seeing an incocent man torn to shreds by wild animals...

We are addressing amusement.. Period... One can hardly compare murder (coliseums) to an amusement park ride...

You could however if looking for a reasonable comparison to Biblical times compare am amusement park ride to a vigorous horseback riding with a friend.. Are you going to say that just because we don't have it recorded that Christ never rode a horse for fun?

Lets just get things straight just as how you find riding a roller coaster to get an high is the same way persons back in the day went to a colloseum to see men get torn to shred they get an high too just like you. Did you really think attending amusement parks to get rides etc originated in our time? ( the prophet Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun). Coloseum was an amusement park, they had theatres where they watched people act and they had other places that they went to do all forms of "fun" CHRIST DIDNT WENT TO ANY OF THOSE PLACES!!!!!!!!!!

Which part of Psalms 1 do you not understand about walking in the place of the ungodly or the text that said dnt become unequally yoked with unbelievers or bad association spoils useful habits. Do you really think you can rub shoulders with persons that do not believe what you do and the devil does not use them to tempt you into some act of sin? please stop compromising Bible truth with self.

1.) So you are saying that riding a roller coaster is the same as murder? Seriously?....

2.) "the prophet Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun" If you are going to quote scripture please use it in it's proper context. He was talking about ways for man to sin..

3.) "Which part of Psalms 1 do you not understand about walking in the place of the ungodly or the text that said dnt become unequally yoked with unbelievers or bad association spoils useful habits. Do you really think you can rub shoulders with persons that do not believe what you do and the devil does not use them to tempt you into some act of sin? please stop compromising Bible truth with self."

I have so much to say on this I have to address it subheadings..

1.) "walking in the place of the ungodly" Christ went in to the house of Matthew, and broke bread among harlots..

2.) "dnt become unequally yoked with unbelievers" Again you are taking scripture out of context. This is talking about friendships, and marriages.

3.) "bad association spoils useful habits" So my children are bad company???

4.) "Do you really think you can rub shoulders with persons that do not believe what you do and the devil does not use them to tempt you into some act of sin?"

So you are saying that I should not go to the grocery store, work...ect....? Because I have less contact with people at a fair ground than I do in those situations.. By your estimation we should all be hermits to avoid those dirty heathens, who by the way it is our responsibility to preach to... Exactly how are we supposed to do that if we are never around them? We are called to be in the world but not of the world, there is a big difference.

A few years ago my husband was at the state fair geting spit on as he tried to pass out religious tracts... Are you saying he should not have been there at all because it was an amusement park?

In short sister to address your last remark "please stop compromising Bible truth with self." It would appear that I am not the one doing that, because I refuse to twist scripture and try and say it implies something other than it's intended meaning to make a point.

As it appears you have done with the above quotes.

It seems that you have a problem hope you solve that. Did you know about making your word your word well pardon me if i didnt quote that right you got the meaning didnt you?

You want to go to amusement parks then go. But dnt expect anyone especially my self to compromise truth with error so that you can feel satisfied with your self. The text is talking about association with persons that do not believe in God ( Ps 1) Christ went to Mathew's house and the harlot to teach them about the word and the prophecy YOU WILL NOT BE GOING TO THE AMUSEMENT PARK TO HAVE FUN AND TOTALLY DISREGARD AND COMPLETELY FORGET THE LAWS OF GOD> YOU ARE NOT GOING THERE TO SHARE THE MESSAGE WITH ANYONE IF IT HAPPENS THAT YOU DO IT WOULD JUST BE A LAST THOUGHT IN YOUR HEAD.

2.YOU will be going to the amusement park and forming friendship that either will totally change your mind from God or instill in you some belief against God. Did you know that everything that you hear and do affects you? And if that person went out about a minor truth incident most likely you will brush it aside and say oh its a little thing.

3.No but you are bringing your children under the influence of bad company. Its different when you have to send them to public school and there are bad influences but it is worst when you carry them under it.

As for your husband giving out tract I applaud him but it seems as if he was the only one there to give the tracts out. You must have been elsewhere enjoying the fair or whatever else. Were the kids there? Where they of age? did you not encourage them to hand out tracts so that they realize they have a greater responsibility than eating cotton candy to make them sick or riding roller coaster to get a rush of adrenaline?

You need help you need a time to yourself and meditate upon God's word and hopefully the Holy Ghost still communicate with you to help to see the will of God. Thats all I have to say.

1.) "As for your husband giving out tract I applaud him but it seems as if he was the only one there to give the tracts out. You must have been elsewhere enjoying the fair or whatever else. Were the kids there? Where they of age? did you not encourage them to hand out tracts"

Actually I was working the booth the church had payed for to share the health message thanks for asking.. And yes my kids got to see that, and be a part of it at their will...

2.) "YOU will be going to the amusement park and forming friendship that either will totally change your mind from God or instill in you some belief against God."

You sure seem to be afraid of being contaminated by those uncircumcised Romans... Actually let me make this abundantly clear for the second time..

No one goes to an amusement park and converses with anyone who did not come with them unless they happen to run in to someone who is already a friend.. It is not a meet and greet... We buy from vendors and if we are not passing our tracts then we are not talking to others...

3.) "No but you are bringing your children under the influence of bad company. Its different when you have to send them to public school"

So leaving them under the care of those uncircumcised Romans to be taught evolution and other abominable doctrines is much safer than an environment I have full control over???? How does that make any sense at all?????

4.) "so that they realize they have a greater responsibility than eating cotton candy to make them sick or riding roller coaster to get a rush of adrenaline?"

Actually I don't let my kids eat junk food. The closest they ever get to that is kettle corn... Also my kids don't go on the adrenaline pumping rides, they prefer stuff like the tea cups, and farris wheel..

And lastly it is pretty ignorant and insulting of you to assume that I don't teach my kids that their first responsibility is to God and His service just because I let them play and be kids while they are still young...

I have seen women who have grown up in SDA homes as strict as what you dipict as the ideal and everyone of them leaves, and sadly detests the name Ellen White, because they feel they wee beaten over the head with it and robbed of a childhood.. Most of those cases are the ones who never come back to the church.... I know one in particular that at 60 years old is still scared by it and battles every day with her self to cling to God despite her childhood scars... The poor woman can barely handle a Bible study without getting upset on some level and often depressed... You have to be careful of how hard you push your children.. They are fragile and they will break under too much pressure.

Somehow I am guessing you don't have any kids and if you do they are no older than 6?

You see am not going to argue with you  this is it if you want to accept it or not. Go to amusement park if your conscience bear you witness, attend theatre if you like but remember that our Prophetess had warn about attending theatres etc.
Hope you kids are nurtured well under the law and guidance of God.

Have a good day.

@Barbee

Actually sister white said we shouldn't be going to movie theaters, or playing sports, but nothing about amusement parks.. So as my final word I will ask you one last time to stop using scripture /sister Whites writings out of context to fit your paradigm..

Ty for the well wishes for my boys though.. I know given their current zeal that they are and will remain strong in the faith.. My 9 year old reads his Bible several times a day out of his own thirst for Gods word, and my 11 year old is already wanting to get into the meet of the word by confronting the many deep questions we ask..

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service