Adventist Online

With the recent david Gates controversy. I was wondering if nonprofit lay ministries including evangelists should accept and use tithe for business expenses and salaries since the general conference does not always support them? What does the bible and  what does Sister White say regarding this?

Views: 2913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, I'll give you that one.

Still that matters not.. It was an ox in the ditch, God permitted it to save His anointed.

And since when has an ox in the ditch been limited only to prophets..

....my suggestion that it could be all right for a prophet to divert tithe from regular church channels, under the right circumstances, but not necessarily for the rest of us.

Based on what premise?  The Bible is clear that to everything there is a season and a time for every purpose (Ecclesiastes 3).  Yes, there is a time to use tithe differently as an exception and not a rule--but not just because someone is a prophet.  That would be like saying a pastor or healer can do things that you can't.  We are all HUMAN BEINGS.  The exception either applies for all or none at all.

Exactly! Just like the ox in the ditch.. it applies to everyone..

This is true Sarah. Thank you.

On diversion of tithe I would be less opposed to it if it would go to effective, needy ministers who are shut out of the current system like when Ellen White diverted.  Unfortunately I think a lot of diverted tithe will go to those independent ministries  (or whatever you want to call them) who are critical of the church instead.  The tithe will go to the loudest not the neediest.  

As much as I would like to see some of  those groups wither away I agree with Sarah that there does seem to be a strong precedence for diverting tithe.

Here is food for thought, does anyone tithe according to scripture anymore?
There are 5 points concerning the tithe

1. It is ten percent of your increase
  2. To be given to the Levi for their service of the tabernacle of the congregation Numbers 18:21
  3. Every third year it is to be used for the support of the Priesthood and the less fortunate (the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within your city and be satisfied Deut 26:10-13, Ne 13:12)
  4. To be brought and stored in a certain place, .If it is not used right away it is to be stored until a use is found  Ne 10:38
  5. The person tithing may borrow the tithe back with interest Lev 27:30-32

There is nothing wrong with supporting the work and one should, but is it wrong to pay or use tithes in a way other than the Lord set forth?  It appears that none of the elements of tithing is any longer accomplished as prescribed by the Lord

So Bill, Ellen White is a false prophet also?

If your reasoning is correct, which it is not, then we should not keep the Sabbath holy either for it as well is not re-enacted in the New Testament either as a law.

"Let each regularly examine his income, which is all a blessing from God, and set apart the tithe as a separate fund, to be sacredly the Lord's. This fund should not in any case be devoted to any other use; it is to be devoted solely to support the ministry of the gospel.  {FLB 244.4}  
     A tithe of our income is "holy unto the Lord." The New Testament does not re-enact the law of the tithe, as it does not that of the Sabbath; for the validity of both is assumed."  {FLB 244.5} 

Is the following not true for today and if it is what should we do with His claim to it?

"And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD."

One last question Bill, are you a member of an SDA Conference church?

I don't know what bible your reading but maybe you need a different one, for it was as you put it "re-enacted in the New Testament"

THE LAW
Exodus 31:16-
"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed."

THE KEEPING OF THE LAW IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
Acts 13: 14-16
"But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down. And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on. Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience."
Verse 42 "And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath."
Verse 44 "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God."

Acts 18:4 "And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks."

Even Jesus kept the Sabbath Luke 4:16 "And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read."

THE RE-CONFERMING OF THE SABBATH LAW
Heb 4:8-11 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Did you get that? If the sabbath day of rest had been changed wouldn't Jesus have said so?

And yes the tithes are the Lord's, so it would make sense that he is the one who dictates how it is to be used, wouldn't you agree?

"And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD."

Bill F, where is the command in the new testament to stop tithing ? 

As you said:  If the sabbath day of rest had been changed wouldn't Jesus have said so?

In the same vein if tithing had been changed wouldn't Jesus have said so ? 

But what did He say: He said to continue tithing.. please know your bible

"What sorrow awaits you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things. Luke 11:42

I never said titheing was changed, for it has not, nor the way in which the Lord said to use it.

I'm glade you pointed out Luke 11:42, Justice and the love of God could not be better fulfilled than by using tithe money as the Lord commanded! Stop using human reasoning and follow God's outline. I can't think of anything the scriptures fail to address concerning how to live a Godly life. Using tithe money was a way to insure his people would look after one another as well as taking care of the ministry. YES it has a dual purpose.

I agree with bill f, "The truth about tithing is the secret of Christian denomination churches which they never tell" until now it is hidden to mass majority of their members according to Jewish Church leaders. Christian Churches has no authority from God to transfer Levitical priesthood  to a Christian priesthood or pastor to collect tithe. To them tithe law was abolished due to the destruction of the 2nd Temple in 70 AD and levitical services also cease. According to them tithe law is only for the Jews(12 tribes of Israel) and in Israel area of jurisdiction and it is in-kind not money.But if they are far from the temple in Jerusalem they can sell it and when they reach Jerusalem they used the money to buy animals,fruit and vegetables etc. to share with levites,poor people,orphans and widows. Other professions outside farmers and animal husbandry are exempted, such as(doctors,engineers,teachers,driver,construction workers,nurses etc.) 

They are required by the law to give tithe of their farm produce and animal husbandry for the season(Lev.27:30), tithe for a year(Deut.14:22-27) and tithe for the 3rd year(Deut.14:28-29).That is why Malachi 3:10 required them to give "tithes" plural which is 30%. Any one of the Jews who give only 10% are curse by cheating God or robbing God.

If Christians really believe Malachi 3:10 w/c they quote always during divine service and just give "tithe(10%)" they don't know they are curse. Those christians who insist on keeping the law of Moses( Levitical laws or ceremonial laws in w/c was abolished by Christ in the cross) are under curse( Gal.3:10) and put curse on their congregations.

We should remember Mosaic law is still in effect at the time of Jesus, but after He died the "new covenant" takes effect(Hebrews 9:16-17), and Mosaic law is abolished.

ross bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse and that is what everyone should  be doing to bring the tenth of their blessings to god.  now once it is deposited there, it is no longer called tithe (i believe that is how it goes)  therefore it is again shared out  for the use of spreading the gospel.  including for the intern's salary BUT but (smaller but) not for building churches  i hope we got this down pack by now.  i myself am a recipient of tithe money (which is not anymore called tithe once it is dispense out again) for my survival.  any complaints? (leh smiles)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service