Adventist Online

The Health Message is apart of the 3 Angels Messages. It is the "right arm" of the 3 Angels Message, which is the Everlasting Gospel. The Health Message is particularly connected to the 1st Angels Message, which tells us to "GIVE GLORY TO GOD". We give glory to God by reflecting His character and following His ways.

*Revelation 14:6,7---"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

7Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."

...We give "GLORY TO GOD" by reflecting His character and following His ways. We also give "GLORY TO GOD" in how we look, dress, eat, and drink. 1 Corinthians 10:31 makes this more clear.

*1 Corinthians 10:31---"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

...This is how the Health Message is connected to the 3 Angels Message, through the announcement of the 1st Angel, which is to GIVE GOD GLORY. We give God glory in ALL that we do, including "eating & drinking". This is why God gave His last day church the HEALTH MESSAGE. We are told that meat eating should be done away with and that we (SDA's) should NOT eat cheese or other dairy products. Most of us agree on meat-eating. But many of us have not seen the light on eating dairy products (cheese, eggs, milk, butter, cream).

The SOP says,

"

• Pure Vegetarianism/Veganism

1868 "Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach." 2T 68

1883 "All the elements of nutrition are contained in the fruits, vegetables, and grains." HL 96

1889 "Years ago I had a testimony of reproof for the managers in our campmeetings bringing upon the ground and selling to our people cheese and other hurtful things." CD 329

1890 "The effect of cheese is deleterious." CH 114

1896 "The simple grains, fruits of the trees, and vegetables have all the nutritive properties necessary to make good blood." HL 98

1898 "In a short time the milk of the cows will also be excluded from the diet of God's commandment-keeping people in a short time it will not be safe to use anything that comes from the animal creation." CD 411

1899 "The light given me is that it will not be very long before we shall have to give up using any animal food. Even milk will have to be discarded." CD 384

1901 "The time may come when it will not be safe to use milk.... The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs.... The time will come when milk cannot be used as freely as it is now used.... But I wish to say that when the time comes that it is no longer safe to use milk, cream, butter, and eggs, God will reveal this.... We see that cattle are becoming greatly diseased, the earth itself is corrupted, and we know that the time will come when it will not be best to use milk and eggs." CD 357-9

1902 "Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men." 7T135

1903 "Vegetables, fruits, and grains should compose our diet. Not an ounce of flesh meat should enter our stomachs." CD 380

1905 "Cheese is... objectionable; it is wholly unfit for food." MH 302

1905 "Grains, fruits, nuts, and vegetables constitute the diet chosen for us by our Creator.... The grains, with fruits, nuts, and vegetables, contain ALL the nutritive properties necessary to make good blood.... The diet reform should be progressive. As disease in animals increases, the use of milk and eggs will become more and more unsafe... The people everywhere should be taught how to cook without milk and eggs, so far as possible, and yet have their food wholesome and palatable." MH 296, 316, 320-1

1906 "In grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are to be found ALL the food elements that we need." CDF 92, 310, 313

1909 "The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs..." 9T162

"Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men. The time is near when, because of the iniquity of the fallen race, the whole animal creation will groan under the diseases that curse our earth. God will give His people ability and tact to prepare wholesome food without these things. Let our people discard all unwholesome recipes. Let them learn how to live healthfully, teaching to others what they have learned. Let them impart this knowledge as they would Bible instruction. Let them teach the people to preserve the health and increase the strength by avoiding the large amount of cooking that has filled the world with chronic invalids. By precept and example make it plain that the food which God gave Adam in his sinless state is the best for man's use as he seeks to regain that sinless state{CD 460.5}"

...The last few words in the Counsels of Diet and Foods appendix, are those of James White regarding the counsels on health given to his wife: "...all changes in diet should be made carefully, one at a time. And while she [his wife, Ellen White] would say this to those who are in danger of making changes too rapidly, she would also say to the tardy, Be sure and not forget to change."

*Scripture says that you are to “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).

It is my hope and prayer that you will do just that.

QUESTION: Should SDA's Eat/Drink Dairy Products (Cheese, Eggs, Milk, Butter, Cream)???

ANSWER: NO!

Views: 6555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’m glad you live healthily. I believe my relationship with Jesus Christ is where my focus should be. I believe that fruits of the Spirit ARE loving kindness, gentleness, patience, self control, etc.

If I don’t eat dairy but eat sugar and salt, how can I say which is more important? I believe greens are very important but my friend gets terrible kidney stones from oxalic acid in greens, and must avoid them like the plague. I believe in drinking alkaline water but my friend must drink distilled water to avoid painful kidney stones. Each body is uniquely created by God. Some people who are allergic to soy, nuts and beans may have to eat dairy or things I don’t choose to eat. Are they less of a Christian or not saved?

Can you give us a verse in the Holy Scriptures that says not to eat dairy? Deuteronomy 14:21, “Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns, and HE MAY EAT IT, or you may SELL it to a foreigner. But you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Do not COOK a young goat in its own mother's MILK.” What God required of Israelites did not apply to everybody. Leviticus 17:15, “And if any native-born Israelites or foreigners eat the meat of an animal that died naturally or was torn up by wild animals, they must wash their clothes and BATHE themselves in water. They will remain ceremonially unclean until evening, but then they will be CLEAN.” It doesn’t make us unclean for eternity.

1Timothy 4:8, For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life AND the life to come. Bible Commentary: "Bodily exercise" here refers to mortifications of the body by abstinence and penance which the ancient devotees, and particularly the Essenes, made so important as part of their religion. The apostle does not mean to say that bodily exercise is in itself improper, or that no advantage can be derived from it in the preservation of health, but he refers to it solely as a means of religion as thought to promote holiness of heart and of life. By these bodily austerities it was supposed that the corrupt passions would be subdued, the wanderings of an unholy fancy lettered down, and the soul brought into conformity to God. In opposition to this supposition, the apostle has here stated a great principle which experience has shown to be universally correct, that such austerities do little to promote holiness, but much to promote superstition. There must be a deeper work on the soul than any which can be accomplished by the mere mortification of the body.

Godliness is profitable unto all things - In every respect. There is not an interest of man, in reference to this life, or to the life to come, which it would not promote. Godliness injures no one. It does not destroy health; it does not enfeeble the intellect; it does not disturb the conscience; it does not pander to raging and consuming passions; it does not diminish the honor of a good name; it furnishes no subject of bitter reflection on a bed of death.

On my deathbed, will my focus be if I ate milk or cheese? Or is my focus on my Savior? Do I want my legacy for my family and loved ones to be that I didn’t eat dairy or that Jesus is the only Savior? I used to think I was closer to God or saved compared to others because I didn’t do this and I didn’t do that. Jesus comes and we cry out, “But I did this in Your name and I did that, I gave up this in Your name,” and He says with tears in His eyes, “I never knew you, because you and I never had a relationship. It was all about what you do and what you don’t do, not about what I have done, so you wouldn’t come to Me.”

2 Corinthians 4: 4, The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. I would not teach others that dairy blinds them to the gospel, or their sugar, or their meat. Acts 26:17-18, “And I will rescue you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am sending you to the Gentiles to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified BY FAITH IN ME.” We are sanctified the same way we are saved, by faith in Christ, by the grace of God. I would not imply to others that dairy is the power of Satan. I know you don't mean to do that, so I just clarified. God bless you in your relationship with each other and with God.

Thanks B.Misek, well said....

Romans 14:15-23

New International Version (NIV)

15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[a]

how wonderful the Body of Christ can function and spread the Gospel if we can take this wonderful boundary principle to heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ty Timbertwo! we forget that scripture too much

You have presented this issue incorrectly:

"The Lord desires every minister, every physician, every church member, to be careful not to urge those who are ignorant of our faith to make sudden changes in diet, thus bringing them to a premature test. Hold up the principles of health reform, and let the Lord lead the honest in heart. They will hear and believe. The Lord does not require His messengers to present the beautiful truths of health reform in a way that will prejudice the minds of others. Let no one place stumbling blocks before those who are walking in the dark paths of ignorance. Even in praising a good thing, it is well not to be too enthusiastic, lest you turn out of the way those who come to hear. Present the principles of temperance in their most attractive form. TSDF 105.1

We must not move presumptuously. The laborers who enter new territory to raise up churches must not create difficulties by attempting to make prominent the question of diet. They should be careful not to draw the lines too closely. Impediments would thus be thrown on the pathway of others. Do not drive the people. Lead them. Preach the word as it is in Christ Jesus. Workers must put forth resolute, persevering effort, remembering that everything can not be learned at once. They must have a fixed determination patiently to teach the people. TSDF 105.2

Wherever the truth is carried, the people should be given instruction in regard to the preparation of healthful foods. God desires that in every place the people should be taught by skillful teachers how to utilize wisely the products that they can raise or readily obtain in their section of the country. Thus the poor, as well as those in better circumstances, can be taught to live healthfully. TSDF 105.3

All the way along from the beginning, we have found it necessary to educate, educate, educate. God desires us to continue to educate the people. We are not to neglect this work because of the effect we may fear it may have on the sale of goods manufactured in our health food factories. This is not the most important matter. Our work is to show the people how they can obtain and prepare wholesome food, how they can co-operate with God in restoring in themselves His image. TSDF 105.4

Testimonies for the Church 7:135-136

Milk, eggs, and butter should not be classed with flesh-meat. In some cases the use of eggs is beneficial. The time has not come to say that the use of milk and eggs should be wholly discarded. There are poor families whose diet consists largely of bread and milk. They have little fruit, and can not afford to purchase the nut foods. In teaching health reform, as in all other gospel work, we are to meet the people where they are. Until we can teach them how to prepare health-reform foods that are palatable, nourishing, and yet inexpensive, we are not at liberty to present the most advanced propositions regarding health-reform diet. TSDF 105.5

Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men. The time is near when, because of iniquity of the fallen race, the whole animal creation will groan under the diseases that curse our earth. TSDF 105.6

God will give His people ability and tact to prepare wholesome food without these things. Let our people discard all unwholesome recipes. Let them learn how to live healthfully, teaching to others what they have learned. Let them impart this knowledge as they would Bible instruction. Let them teach the people to preserve the health and increase the strength by avoiding the large amount of cooking that has filled the world with chronic invalids. By precept and example make it plain that the food which God gave Adam in his sinless state is the best for man’s use as he seeks to regain that sinless state. TSDF 105.7

Those who teach the principles of health reform should be intelligent in regard to disease and its causes, understanding that every action of the human agent should be in perfect harmony with the laws of life. The light God has given on health reform is for our salvation and the salvation of the world. Men and women should be informed in regard to the human habitation, fitted up by our Creator as His dwelling-place, and over which He desires us to be faithful stewards. “For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” 2 Corinthians 6:16. TSDF 105.8

Hold up the principles of health reform, and let the Lord lead the honest in heart. Present the principles of temperance in their most attractive form. Circulate the books that give instruction in regard to healthful living. TSDF 105.9

***** TSDF 105

Testimonies for the Church 1:514

Let several families living in a city or village unite and leave the occupations which have taxed them physically and mentally, and make an excursion into the country, to the side of a fine lake, or to a nice grove, where the scenery of nature is beautiful. They should provide themselves with plain, hygienic food, the very best fruits and grains, and spread their table under the shade of some tree or under the canopy of heaven. The ride, the exercise, and the scenery will quicken the appetite, and they can enjoy a repast which kings might envy. TSDF 105.10"

http://egwtext.whiteestate.org/publication.php?pubtype=Book&boo...

Again, this harshness only brings into repute the message and the Messenger. 

"

Did Ellen White eat meat after 1863? Yes, but not as a regular part of her diet. She practiced the general principles she taught others, such as that one must use the best food available under the circumstances. When away from home, either while traveling or camping in austere conditions, decades before frozen foods were invented, finding an adequate diet was often difficult. Not always able to obtain the best, for whatever reason, she at times settled for the good—the best under the circumstances.

In 1873 while on a working vacation high in the Rocky Mountains, the White party had no choice but to hunt and fish for food. She wrote in her diary: “Our provisions have been very low for some days. Many of our supplies have gone. . . . We expected supplies three days ago certainly, but none have come. Willie went to the lake for water. We heard his gun and found he had shot two ducks. This is really a blessing, for we need something to live upon.”26

A few weeks later, after arriving in California, she reported that they no longer ate meat, although they “bought meat once for May Walling while she was sick, but not a penny have we expended for meat since.”27

During the rainy, foggy January of 1884, Ellen White spent some time at the St. Helena Health Retreat where there was more sunshine and warmth. But the physician, manager, and cook did not favor a vegetarian cuisine. She wrote of her experience: “When I came to the Retreat, I determined not to taste meat, but I could get scarcely anything else to eat, and therefore ate a little meat. It caused unnatural action of the heart. It was not the right kind of food. . . .

“The use of meat while at the Retreat awakened the old appetite, and after I returned home, it clamored for indulgence. Then I resolved to change entirely, and not under any circumstances eat meat, and thus encourage this appetite. Not a morsel of meat or butter has been on my table since I returned. We have milk, fruit, grains, and vegetables.

“For a time I lost all desire for food. Like the children of Israel, I hankered after flesh meats. But I firmly refused to have meat bought or cooked. I was weak and trembling, as everyone who subsists on meat will be when deprived of the stimulus. But now my appetite has returned. I enjoy bread and fruit, my head is generally clear, and my strength firmer. I have none of the goneness so common with meat eaters. I have had my lesson, and, I hope, learned it well.”28

In 1888 Mrs. White wrote that she had not bought “a penny’s worth of tea for years.” However, she would use some tea “as a medicine” for “severe vomiting.”29

In 1890, after two years of traveling in Europe, she observed: “Where plenty of good milk and fruit can be obtained there is rarely any excuse for eating animal food. . . . In certain cases of illness or exhaustion it may be thought best to use some meat, but great care should be taken to secure the flesh of healthy animals. . . . When I could not obtain the food I needed, I have sometimes eaten a little meat; but I am becoming more and more afraid of it.”30

Ellen White, with her heavy writing program and frequent public appearances, needed the help of a cook to care for her extended family. She was not always able to secure the services of a cook trained in health reform principles. In Australia during the 1890s, where fruit, vegetables, grains, and nuts were not easy to obtain or affordable, meat was the standby for most people. Two weeks after arriving in Australia, she penned her plea: “I am suffering more now for want of someone who is experienced in the cooking line, to prepare things I can eat. The cooking in this country is in every way deficient. Take out the meat, which we seldom use—and I dare not use it here at all—and sit at their tables, and if you can sustain your strength, you have an excellent constitution. . . . I would pay a higher price for a cook than for any other part of my work.”31

For this reason Ellen White counseled church members “to avoid meat eating, not because it is regarded as a sin to eat meat, [that is, not a principle] but because it is not healthful [but a good policy].”61

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/chapt27.html

You contradict scripture and SOP.

THE HEALTH MESSAGE IS GOOD, BUT NOT A MEANS OF SALVATION.  THIS IS CLOSE TO FALSE DOCTRINE AS STATED IN THE BIBLE.  USE THE BIBLE AND ONLY THE BIBLE AS OUR GUIDE.

Exactly, Read Numbers 11.   Same thing will happen in these last days.

And watch this video also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLov4n9v6OA&t=0s&list=PL9j5...

You will also say it's not a salvation issue.  If you reject the Spirit of Prophecy you will end up rejecting the Bible and Jesus.  Those who rejected John The Baptist rejected Jesus.

Peace 

Brother Rick and Derrick, your views are respected, but it holds no weight... First, it's not a SDA teaching that the Health message is a Salvational issue... That's a Fib! 

second, put EGW to the side for the moment, before the medical field understood, you know the time they prescribed cigarettes to improve your health, EGW knew better... and without reading her writings in regards to health, most of the medical field today agrees a plant base diet increases health, and prolongs life. I'm sure GOD wants us to eat healthy, plant base diet was given at creation. 

But again, the foundation of your beef with the SOP is false, nowhere, does EGW teach it's a Salvational issue. Salvation is by Jesus Christ alone, nothing we do can bring us Salvation. 

Blessings! :) 

It is interesting to note that what God's Word said about milk products and chicken products are coming true:

http://www.naturalnews.com/032048_radiation_milk.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/032659_arsenic_chicken.html

However, what many Adventists are not realizing is the danger of GMO soy... the companies that I have used such as Loma Linda, Worthington, and Morningstar Farms all contain GMO soy and they are not doing anything about it.  So I have also quit soy products (at least from those companies)

About the spiritual part. Yes I agree that our diet affects our brain (I listen to Dr. Neil Nedley sermons... excellent!) and there is a reason why God's Word says we must keep a simple diet.  However....

Why is it that most people I've met who are vegan and are strongly promoting a diet change (remember I said most not all) have not allowed God to give them a true change of heart.  I say this not trying to be judgemental but just from my own personal experience.  For example, a few years back we met some people from a family pentecostal church... approximately about 15 in number, who were all taking Bible Studies and welcomed us into their little home church and began coming to ours.  We have potluck every Sabbath and they decided to bring chicken salad sandwiches one Sabbath to contribute to potluck... (they had not been given the health message yet).  That very Sabbath we also had a gentleman who was sharing the vegan message and giving lessons on how to cook, etc.... when he saw the sandwiches, instead of quietly inquiring about them, he made a big stink.  Because this gentleman did not allow the Spirit of the Lord in his heart, diet and all, those people's feelings were hurt.  They stopped coming to our church (there were other personal reasons as well but that was the last Sabbath they came to our church).  I understand there are a few of them attending another church that is closer to where they live, however, what happened did impact them. 

Also, in my experience, those who strongly preach a vegan message have a tendency to think of themselves better than others.  My example:  A gentleman and his wife and little girl visited our church and he gave the sermon.  When it came time for potluck, they would not stay to fellowship with us.  When I went to ask, they stated that their diet would not permit them.  They did not even give us a chance.  Tell me, is this showing a character from God? 

So in conclusion:

Yes, our diets are important for a change of character however, it will NOT be of any help unless we have a true living connection with the Holy Spirit and allow Him to live through us. 

Blessings,

Michelle

Hi Vincent, GMO stands for "genetically modified organism"

Blessings,

Michelle
You're welcome... Theres a lot of info online...its pretty scary what they do to food these days!

Blessings,

Michelle

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com