Adventist Online

Should Seventh Day Adventist be participating in Sports or viewing Sports?? This has now become a trend of the church to engage in sporting activities at competitive levels. What does Ellen White have to say about competition and do we know where Sports originate from.

Views: 4513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Useful Place of the Gymnasium.--Gymnastic exercises fill a useful place in many schools, but without careful supervision they are often carried to excess. In the gymnasium many youth, by their attempted feats of strength, have done themselves lifelong injury. {AH 499.2}

Exercise in a gymnasium, however well conducted, cannot supply the place of recreation in the open air, and for this our schools should afford better opportunity. {AH 499.3}

Games With a Ball--Basic Guiding Principles.--I do not condemn the simple exercise of playing ball; but this, even in its simplicity, may be overdone. {AH 499.4}

I shrink always from the almost sure result which follows in the wake of these amusements. It leads to an outlay of means that should be expended in bringing the light of truth to souls that are perishing out of Christ. The amusements and expenditures of means for self-pleasing, which lead on step by step to self-glorifying, and the educating in these games for pleasure produce a love and passion for such things that is not favorable to the perfection of Christian character. {AH 499.5}

The way that they have been conducted at the college does not bear the impress of heaven. It does not strengthen the intellect. It does not refine and purify the character. There are threads leading out through the habits and customs and worldly practices, and the actors become so engrossed and infatuated that they are pronounced in heaven lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. In the place of the intellect becoming strengthened
to do better work as students, to be better qualified as Christians to perform the Christian duties, the exercise in these games is filling their brains with thoughts that distract the mind from their studies. . . . {AH 499.6}

Is the eye single to the glory of God in these games? I know that this is not so. There is a losing sight of God's way and His purpose. The employment of intelligent beings, in probationary time, is superseding God's revealed will and substituting for it the speculations and inventions of the human agent, with Satan by his side to imbue with his spirit. . . . The Lord God of heaven protests against the burning passion cultivated for supremacy in the games that are so engrossing. {AH 500.1}

The Problem of Many Athletic Sports.--Vigorous exercise the pupils must have. Few evils are more to be dreaded than indolence and aimlessness. Yet the tendency of most athletic sports is a subject of anxious thought to those who have at heart the well-being of the youth. Teachers are troubled as they consider the influence of these sports both on the student's progress in school and on his success in afterlife. The games that occupy so much of his time are diverting the mind from study. They are not helping to prepare the youth for practical, earnest work in life. Their influence does not tend toward refinement, generosity, or real manliness. {AH 500.2}

Some of the most popular amusements, such as football and boxing, have become schools of brutality. They are developing the same characteristics as did the games of ancient Rome. The love of domination, the pride in mere brute force, the reckless disregard of life, are exerting upon the youth a power to demoralize that is appalling. {AH 500.3}

Other athletic games, though not so brutalizing, are scarcely less objectionable because of the excess to which
they are carried. They stimulate the love of pleasure and excitement, thus fostering a distaste for useful labor, a disposition to shun practical duties and responsibilities. They tend to destroy a relish for life's sober realities and its tranquil enjoyments. Thus the door is opened to dissipation and lawlessness with their terrible results. {AH 500.4}
I apologize for the lengthy amount of text I am about to provide but I believe it should be a blessing to you and possibly help you in finding the answer to your question.

The Avondale school opened its fourth year on Thursday, February 1, 1900, with more students than any previous year. Ellen White addressed faculty and students with appropriate remarks for the occasion, based on the character of Daniel, a man who had a well-defined purpose in his heart that he would not dishonor God by even the slightest deviation from the principles of righteousness. The noticeable change in the faculty was in the Bible teacher; A. T. Robinson had been appointed to that post. The prospects were good for a profitable school year. But there is an enemy who is constantly alert to divert that which is planned as a benefit into a drawback, and 

this showed up on April 11, the day set aside as the first anniversary of the completion of College Hall. {4BIO 441.5}

E. R. Palmer and C. B. Hughes, principal and business manager, respectively, planned for the day what they thought to be appropriate--a morning service at which Ellen White was invited to address students and faculty, and in the afternoon various recreational games, including cricket for the boys and tennis for the girls. Faculty members and students joined in raising money with which to purchase the equipment (DF 249e, C. B. Hughes to WCW, July 22, 1912). Other games, as remembered by Ella White Robinson included three-legged races; eating apples suspended from a string, with the players' arms tied behind them; carrying eggs in a teaspoon in a knee race, et cetera (ibid., E. M. Robinson to David Lee, Nov. 9, 1967). Wrote Professor Hughes in his July 22 letter to W. C. White: {4BIO 442.1}

The students enjoyed the day very much, and at the close of it 
     felt very grateful toward me, especially, for planning such a 
     pleasant time. You know the Australians very much enjoy 
     holidays and sports. When Mark Twain visited Australia, he 
     found this such a characteristic of the people that he exclaimed, 
     "Restful Australia, where every day is a holiday, and when there 
     is not a holiday, there is a horse race." {4BIO 442.2}

After giving her morning address, Ellen White returned to her Sunnyside home and her work. But "during the following night," as she was to write later, "I seemed to be witnessing the performances of the afternoon." {4BIO 442.3}

The scene was clearly laid out before me, and I was given a 
     message for the manager and teachers of the school. I was shown 
     that in the amusements carried on, on the school grounds that 
     afternoon, the enemy gained a victory, and teachers were 
     weighed in the balances and found wanting.--MS 73, 1912 (see 
     also CT, p. 348). {4BIO 442.4}

In her diary she noted, "The whole transaction was presented to me as if I was present, which I did write out."--MS 92, 1900. She later declared: {4BIO 442.5}

The Avondale school was established, not to be like the 
     schools of the world, but, as the Lord revealed, to be a pattern 

school. And since it was to be a pattern school, those in charge of 
     it should have perfected everything after God's plan, discarding 
     all that was not in harmony with His will. Had their eyes been 
     anointed with the heavenly eyesalve, they would have realized 
     that they could not permit the exhibition that took place that 
     afternoon, without dishonoring God.--MS 73, 1912 (see also 
     CT, p. 349). {4BIO 442.6}

Apparently there was much involved, in a country given to holidays and sports, in allowing any beginning toward what could easily become an infatuation. {4BIO 443.1}

The next morning, as Hughes was leaving his house for the school, Ellen White's carriage drove up, and he was informed that she wished to speak to him. As he wrote of this in 1912, Hughes bared his soul: {4BIO 443.2}

I went out to her carriage, and she leaned out toward me and 
     said in very earnest tones, "I have come over to talk to you and 
     your teachers and your students about the way you spent 
     yesterday. Get your teachers together. I want to speak to them 
     before I go in to speak to the students." {4BIO 443.3}

If Sister White had struck a blow full in my face, I do not think 
     I would have felt so hurt as I did at her words. What she said 
     sounded so unreasonable to me. I believed that what I had done 
     the day before was for the best interests of the students. . . . {4BIO 443.4}

I was very much troubled, knowing as I did the attitude of the 
     Australians toward holidays and games. I felt that Sister White 
     was acting rashly. . . . I was very much tempted to advise her not 
     to talk to the students that morning. {4BIO 443.5}

We went into the chapel and she delivered her talk, but it did 
     not produce the commotion that I had expected. In fact, the 
     students generally seemed to receive it quite well, but not so 
     with myself.--DF 249e, C. B. Hughes to WCW, July 22, 1912. {4BIO 443.6}

We cannot here trace in detail the personal struggle Professor Hughes experienced. When, through Miss Peck, he inquired of Ellen White why, in the light of her counsel that teachers should play with their students, he should be reproved for what they had done, the answer came that the students at Avondale were not children but young men and young women preparing to be laborers 

for God. Then, with his concordance, he searched his Bible. One of the first references he turned to related to the children of Israel, when they "sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play." Nor were other texts any more helpful. When he came to recognize that winning in games meant others must fail, he was led to conclude that the spirit of most games and sports was not the right spirit of the adult Christian. "These thoughts," he declared, "brought me out of darkness into light, and I left behind me an experience which was a very trying one."--Ibid. {4BIO 443.7}

Personally, I see nothing positive in competitive sports.  It's a waste of time and money.  Nuff sed

Agree nuff sed. Why would i waste money while there is many poor children are in need of it?.

Lets say this, you go to work as a telephone operator for 8 hours, and my job is athletics and I get paid for what I do?  How is this a waste of money?  It can be someones job as it was for me for a decade.  People have abilities and they need expression, so if you can go to a good concert and hear someone use their vocal cords, why can't I go to a track meet and see someone use their legs or arms.

competition is every where; so it is okay for you to strive and use your mind to get a 'A' and I can't strive to use my legs to get a first.

Its okay for you to write a essay to get into Harvard and submit your high grades and SAT scores, but I can't go to the olympic trials and try to make an olympic team, especially if I am good at it.

so it okay for you to use your skillful hands to fix my teeth or heart and make 200,000 a year, and I can't use my body to make money in sports. 

Why?  God does not prohibit it.  My athletic scholarship was great, I travel all over the world, I was compensated well and I upheld the principles of The Word.  The Bible does not condemn competition, in fact it says strive like an athlete, it says to be the head and not the tail, it talks about the mighty men of David naming the top 3.  The writing of EGW does not say competition is bad, she talks about the dangers of sports, but no where does she say we should not strive to be the best we can be 

It reminds me to the time of World Cup competition, i had seen many gamble and off course that there will be a loser and winner person. But i had experienced it among the people of our churches. Having a man that will be engage in doing or watching sports, that will drive me to hell. There are many things to do instead of it. Exercise is excellent way to keep your body healthy, good blood circulation and healthy mind as well.

Competion is of the devil.

We as Seventh Day Adventist should not be engaging in competitive sports or spending time viewing sports. Sports originated with the Greeks when they used to have humans fighting with animals and animals with each other. There are a lot of hidden things behind sports and sports athletes. Imagine Tiger Woods gets 900 million a year just to play games. If you all are interested in learning more about sports and the history behind it then check out this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Cge8ZK0O0&feature=related

Mark Bruce

Thank you for your comment it is very much appreciated and I agree with you totally.

God Bless

I do not see any thing wrong, its a time where our young people can come together from different churches to meet and enjoy the day, i love going to sports day

Joan

Thats the problem with Seventh Day Adventist they love to say those exact words "I don't see anything wrong" with this or that. How many actually try to study the subject before they make that assumption. I once learned that not because someone don't see anything wrong with something means that it is right. Check out the link i posted then re evaluate your opinion.

Blessed Day

life is 2 short.you all need 2 chill out, have a day off and take a few runs around the tracts

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service