Adventist Online

Should Seventh Day Adventist be participating in Sports or viewing Sports?? This has now become a trend of the church to engage in sporting activities at competitive levels. What does Ellen White have to say about competition and do we know where Sports originate from.

Views: 4524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good guide for me is that any sport that doesn't allow all ages to participate at the same time is more likely to foster sinful pride through excessive competitive focus. Volleyball is a good choice. Spectator sports or any other entertainment for that matter is not a good idea because there's no physical, mental, spiritual benefit watching these things sitting in a chair and actually stressing the mind with excessive exitement.

But in the long run, in consideration of our spiritual calling and election, if the competitive aspect of a physical activity can be eliminated altogether, so much the better.

I agree with closure on this matter, our all wise God, will give wisdom to those who ask and if we hunger and thirst for righteous we will be filled, the Bible says we are not to fear man...but rather fear God. let

us study to show ourselves approved to God. May God richly bless you and your loved ones.

Michele Cuke
Nothing wrong as long as its in balance and it doesn't become an idol

I would like to apply Paul's principles from Romans 14 to this.

1. V. 20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. 21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.

Or for the competition in sports. Don't let it get in the way of God's work. On a side note, maybe this why Ellen White was so specific in her comments on sports in the church's schools and seminaries.

2. V. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.

Paul speaks of foods but also mentions drinks and holidays. So I feel it is safe to apply this to other lifestyle issues.

3. V. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.

All of us come from a different place. A lifestyle issue that you feel might drag you back into your old life of sin is something you should abstain from and I will not judge you on it, rather praise God for drawing you to Him. Do not judge me on "competing for fun" - it might be a way to connect with friends, strangers and God that you do not know.

Hello all!  I have posted something on this subject before when this came up in the Main Room chat.  So, since we are dealing with it in more detail, I will again submit this link to a sermon I heard regarding competitive sports.  You may or may not agree with all that is presented, but if simply to just add to what has been said already, check it out.  Go to:

http://www.ktfministry.org/en/sermons/72/satans-banquet-like-the-id...

Pat

I must say thanks for that sermon it was very informative and all I have to say is Lord have Mercy on your people!!

Its very important to reach out to others any way possible without falling into aspects that can  tear u away from the FATHER

in university towns and schools where communities are built into sports

local parks of tennis and basket ball

bowling leagues

reaching out to win them to the KINGDOM

not just handing out tracks and knocking on strangers doors

- getting involved with people outside your circle

God is Good!

Delete

in many exgay ministries they encouraged the gay men to play sports

to tackle and to throw and to beat things

and the women to have their hair done , make up classes and to dust

a step towards  SANCTIFICATION?

# o my what will the SDA Ex Gay ministries do without matte make up or football?

With all the butt slapping I see in the NFL I'm surprised that would be the choice of ex-gay ministries.

lol u funny

i never got that

why the butt slapping?

a playful mock punch in the arm will surfice

i have had my share of straight men (thru the years) squeeze my arm to  test if my brawniness was muscle or big bones!

why are they testing also?

an arm wrestle

hey! lookin for  any reason to to touch me ,dude!

# prefer holy hugs and kisses

sports here 

What is the point of sports? To compete against another individual. 

What does the Bible say about Competition?

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: (Philippians 2:3-5)

How can God be glorified in these things, when they create strife and vainglory (self conceit)? 

Furthermore, we have the history of the disciples even up to the cross..Fighting for first spot in Heaven..

In addition, Where did competetion start? 

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
(Revelation 12:7)

Satan has devised a multitude of ways in which to keep men from serving God. He has invented sports and games, into which men enter with such intensity that one would suppose a crown of life was to reward the winner. At the horse races and football matches, which are attended by thousands and thousands of people, lives for which Christ shed His blood are thrown away. What will become of the souls of the men and boys whose lives are thus extinguished? Will they be counted worthy of the redemption which Christ died to secure for them?  {RH, September 10, 1901 par. 5}

Wouldnt it be reasonable that the one responsible for competition in heaven would be responsible for it on earth?

You have neglected these duties, and the result is that darkness has enshrouded you. You have been in a state of uncertainty and distrust, and have frequently chosen the society of those who are in darkness, those whom Satan uses to scatter from Christ. You could live among the most corrupt, and remain unstained, unsullied, if God in His providence thus directed you. But it is dangerous for those who wish to honor God to find their pleasure and entertainment with companions who fear Him not. Satan ever surrounds such with great darkness; and if those who profess Christ go unbidden into this darkness, they tempt the devil to tempt them. If, in order to do good and glorify His name, the Lord requires us to go among infernal spirits, where is the blackest darkness, He will encircle us with His angels and keep us unsullied. But if we seek the company of sinners, and are pleased with their coarse jests, and entertained and amused with their stories, sports, and ribaldry, the pure and holy angels remove their protection and leave us to the darkness we have chosen.  {2T 222.2} 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service