Adventist Online

Is it o.k. to pray facing the east?

Views: 495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Model Prayer

And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. -Matthew 6:5-6

And pray in what direction in your room? ;-)... Also, how about Daniel? Did he not follow that model prayer? Just wondering....

Daniel prayed publicly from his bedroom window because he was being forced to pray to the king of Babylon. However, he wanted to disobey the king direct order because he didn't want to violate God's Commandments. His life was on the line but he remained true to God. 

I prefer up.  God isn't East.

As the temple was an example of Christ to worship the sun was to turn ones back literally to God. 

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers(16) Between the porch and the altar.—Ezekiel now returns to the court of the priests, and there sees—not about, but as it were (referring to the nature of the vision)—“twenty-five men.” These are probably the high priest and the heads of the twenty-four courses, representing the whole body of the priests, as the elders represented the whole body of the people. They were standing between the altar and the Temple, therefore in the most sacred part of the court, and there, turning their backs upon the Temple of the Lord, worshipped the sun. The adoration of the sun, probably the earliest form of false religion, was the especial worship of Persia, but had been long since practised by the kings and people of Judah (2Kings 23:5;2Kings 23:11). Thus all classes of the nation are seen to be involved in common sin; and the priests particularly, the especial guardians of true religion, are found practising this sin under circumstances of peculiar insult to God. That the “chief priests” did pollute the sanctuary at this time is expressly asserted in the history at2Chronicles 36:14.

8:13-18 The yearly lamenting for Tammuz was attended with infamous practices; and the worshippers of the sun here described, are supposed to have been priests. The Lord appeals to the prophet concerning the heinousness of the crime; and lo, they put the branch to their nose, denoting some custom used by idolaters in honour of the idols they served. The more we examine human nature and our own hearts, the more abominations we shall discover; and the longer the believer searches himself, the more he will humble himself before God, and the more will he value the fountain open for sin, and seek to wash therein.

The inner court - The court of the priests.

About five and twenty men - Rather, as it were five etc. This was the number of the heads of the 24 courses (shifts) with the high priest presiding over them. These then were the representatives of the priests, as the seventy were of the people. In the temple the seat of the Divine Majesty was at the west, perhaps appointed for this very purpose, to guard against the idolatrous adoration of the rising sun. Therefore the idolatrous priests must in worshipping the false sun-god turn their backs upon the True. The worship of the heavenly bodies was one of the earliest forms of idolatry Job 31:26-27 and was expressly forbidden in the LawDeuteronomy 17:3. In its earliest form, it was conducted without the intervention of images, the adoration being addressed to the heavenly bodies themselves: this form, continued among the Persians, seems to have been introduced afresh into Jerusalem at the time of Ezekiel. Compare, also, 2 Kings 23:11-12. The images (compare Ezekiel 6:4Ezekiel 6:6) were probably columns set up in honor of the sun, not images in human form. This simpler mode of sunworship was soon changed. The sun, or the god supposed to preside over it, was represented as a person, whose image was set up and adored.

My question is simply this, if the temple was given compass bearings for its building, this automatically affects the compass bearing people had during services in the temple and their directions of prayer....

Here is the ancient site of Shiloh, the capital temple for Israel....now in which direction did those inside the temple pray ? West.... today we Christians are allowed to enter our temples on earth, and enter the holy of holies for prayer...so which direction should our churches face ? West....

My question is why do we so easily neglect torah scripture guidelines for even the building orientation of our churches...?

I am glad JohnB corrected me that the NT speaks so much detail about tithe giving....that is great...I thought much of the details for worship actually come originally from the OT, and these we should not neglect....both the OT and NT should have harmony with each other...my God does not change....

Shalom

Having Jewish ancestors myself, doesn't mean I have to go beat my head against the wailing wall.  God is no longer in that place.  The veil was ripped in two.  He is on this throne above the Third Heaven.  That is where I direct my prayers.

I see your point, so does that mean most of the torah which spell out the directions of life we should walk, is no longer applicable ?

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Whose commandments of Jesus do we follow ? Where are they located ? Only in NT torah, or OT torah or both OT and NT torah, or do we just pick and choose at our own doing ?

Pr 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp;

and the law is light;

and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Some might see this as poetry parallel, thus Father's laws are a simile of torah light

What I see is Jesus torah light is a simile of the Father's ten commandments in action....

Thus the entire torah was a witness to how the Father's ten love rules should be followed

That includes the direction we pray...however if you do only rules with love, that legalism is no better than the Baal human power of worship called legalism..... a common trap of religions....

John 15 tells me to guard Jesus torah directions of salvation....the important points as well as the minor points of His love....but as He said to SImon, he who is forgiven little loves little, and he forgiven much loves much.... our love response drives our devotion to Him, not doing behavioural rules....

Hope this helps

Shalom

The 10 Commandments has existed before the Torah and before sin came to the world. So the 10 Commandments are not Jewish whatsoever. 

Yes true, and so did Jesus solution to the sinning problem, eternal years before Lucifer even began sinning.... in fact both the law and the solution to breaking the law have both existed since time ever began....

Pr 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp;

and the law is light;

and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

This verse tells us this....

A lamp is a source of light

A light is a witness of the lamp's power,

Both have existed from eternity.....

Jesus was always a witness of His Father, and that witnessing changed when the sinning came into the universe....

Today we see a difference angle of love, not a brand new invented love because we have sinned, but that love is broad enough for all things, even missing before GOD....

Shalom

I learned something of note.  I want your opinion on this. The Washington Monument has a capstone made of aluminum with an inscription that says: "Laus deo" meaning "Praise be to God."  The inscription faces east. 

An obelisk, a pagan phallus object erected by masons who knew very well what these objects represent have the words "Laus Deo" facing the rising sun.  How appropriate for the nation of the false prophet. 

On the aluminum cap atop the Washington Monument in Washington DC are two words: Laus Deo. No one can see these words. In fact, most visitors to the monument have no idea they are even there and for that matter, probably couldn't care less! But there they are 555 feet and 5.125 inches high, perched atop the monument to the father of our nation, overlooking the 69 square miles which comprise the District of Columbia, capital of the United States of America.

To complete the obelisk, the aluminum capstone weighing 100 ounces, the largest single piece of aluminum cast to that time, was placed atop the pyramidion on Saturday, December 6, 1884. Colonel Casey was elated at meeting his deadline for completion of the Washington Monument.

Prior to delivery of the capstone in Washington, it was placed on exhibit at Tiffany's in New York City where it was placed on the floor and persons could have the dubious prestige of "jumping over the top of the Washington Monument." Engraved on the four sides of th e capstone was the official record of the construction of the monument.

http://theroadtoemmaus.org/RdLb/21PbAr/Hst/US/WashMonCap.htm

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by