Adventist Online

...and the men NOT wash the feet of women?

I have mentioned this a number of times in this Forum with usually snide and self-righteous remarks from women.

Yet, I have shown my biblical support from John 12:3 when Mary washed Jesus' feet with her tears, and 1 Timothy 5:10 where women are respected for washing the feet of the saints.

Yet, this is what I usually get; 

"In the church, all women are to submit to all men! Right?

This is why women should wash the feet of men in the church. This principle would be well established if this practice had been maintained.

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!   |0|  Happy Sabbath! "

God Bless.

Views: 3025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But you have not provided any evidence showing that women washed men feet...

So, Jesus was irrelevant?

..."but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little." 

The above account was not a feet washing ceremony, but the one below is...and i am sure that women disciples were present there 

John 13 

He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

And began to wash the disciples feet. This custom of washing the feet was not used by the Jews at their passover, nor at their private entertainments, or common meals, but at the reception of strangers or travellers, which were just come off of a journey, whereby they had contracted dirt and filth, and was a servile work, never performed by superiors to their inferiors, but by inferiors to superiors; as by the wife to the husband, by the son to the father, and by the servant to his master; and was an instance of great humility in any others, as in Abigail, who said to David, "let thine handmaid be a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my Lord", 1 Samuel 25:41, upon which place some Jewish Rabbins (u) have this note: 

"this she said, , "by way of humility", to show, that it would have been sufficient to her, if she became a wife to one of the servants of David, and washed his feet, as was the custom of a wife to her husband.'' 

and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded; as he began he went through with his work; and having washed their feet, he wipes them clean; which may design the purity of the lives and conversations of the saints in general, and of the ministers of the Gospel in particular, whose feet are beautiful when shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace, and their conversations are as become the Gospel they preach; both which they have from Christ. 

Again, I understand the Last Supper.  However, this woman, presumably Mary Magdalene, already understood what the disciples had not yet grasped, and could not attend.  I realize that only the disciples were present, but if we say that, then we should also say that women should no participate at all?

John 12:1-8, "Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.[b] He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

So, she could not attend the Passover in the upper room, so she did it in remembrance of Him early.

The excited man kneeling before Ellen said, “The Lord tells me, Sister White, that I must wash your feet.”
“The Lord tells me,” Ellen retorted quickly, “that you have no business with my feet at all. When my feet are washed, it will be by a sister, not by any man.”—Interview with E. G. White in Document File 733c, p. 4. (Portion of narrative related by Mrs. E. G. White.)
At first women and men washed [each other’s] feet, and we felt that was not the right thing to do. I never could do it.—Interview with E. G. White in Document File 733c.
Released July 20, 1972.

God identifies Himself as He.

The excited man kneeling before Ellen said, “The Lord tells me, Sister White, that I must wash your feet.”
“The Lord tells me,” Ellen retorted quickly, “that you have no business with my feet at all. When my feet are washed, it will be by a sister, not by any man.”—Interview with E. G. White in Document File 733c, p. 4. (Portion of narrative related by Mrs. E. G. White.)
At first women and men washed [each other’s] feet, and we felt that was not the right thing to do. I never could do it.—Interview with E. G. White in Document File 733c.
Released July 20, 1972.

You realize at the time a strange man touching a married woman's feet was extremely taboo.  I have been, and still am, discussing a husband and wife participating together.  A husband and wife do far more intimate things than that.

Amen Heisenberg
You must be humble to wash a nasty feet. Men should wash men feet and women wash only women feet. Even if someone feet is smelling and offensive like a dead mouse...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a man washing a woman's feet or vice-versa. BUT due to  temptation and other issues that could arise because of sin in our members and the fact that Satan will surely  try to use such situations to provoke sin, I strongly believe it is  safer and better for men to only wash the feet of men and women to only wash the feet of women, unless they are family members or married.

I think doing so also builds fellowship  among men in the church  as well as fellowship between women in the church. Group fellowship of the same gender is also needed as well as community fellowship within a church.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service