Adventist Online

Spiritual Revival Still Needed

One day at noon I was writing of the work that might have been done at the last [1901] General Conference if the men in positions of trust had followed the will and way of God. Those who have had great light have not walked in the light. The meeting was closed, and the break was not made. Men did not humble themselves before the Lord as they should have done, and the Holy Spirit was not imparted. {LDE 57.1}

I had written thus far when I lost consciousness, and I seemed to be witnessing a scene in Battle Creek. {LDE 57.2}

We were assembled in the auditorium of the Tabernacle. Prayer was offered, a hymn was sung, and prayer was again offered. Most earnest supplication was made to God. The meeting was marked by the presence of the Holy Spirit. . . . {LDE 57.3}

No one seemed to be too proud to make heartfelt confession, and those who led in this work were the ones who had influence, but had not before had courage to confess their sins. {LDE 57.4}

There was rejoicing such as never before had been heard in the Tabernacle. {LDE 57.5}

Then I aroused from my unconsciousness, and for a while could not think where I was. My pen was still in my hand. The words were spoken to me: "This
might have been. All this the Lord was waiting to do for His people. All heaven was waiting to be gracious." I thought of where we might have been had thorough work been done at the last General Conference.--8T 104-106 (Jan. 5, 1903). {LDE 57.6}

I have been deeply impressed by scenes that have recently passed before me in the night season. There seemed to be a great movement--a work of revival--going forward in many places. Our people were moving into line, responding to God's call.--TM 515 (1913). [FROM ELLEN WHITE'S FIRST MESSAGE TO THE GENERAL CONFERENCE SESSION OF 1913.] {LDE 58.1}

The Patience of God With His People

The church has failed, sadly failed, to meet the expectations of her Redeemer, and yet the Lord does not withdraw Himself from His people. He bears with them still, not because of any goodness found in them, but that His name may not be dishonored before the enemies of truth and righteousness, that the satanic agencies may not triumph in the destruction of God's people. He has borne long with their waywardness, unbelief and folly. With wonderful forbearance and compassion He has disciplined them. If they will heed His instruction He will cleanse away their perverse tendencies, saving them with an everlasting salvation and making them eternal monuments of the power of His grace.--ST Nov. 13, 1901. {LDE 58.2}

We should remember that the church, enfeebled and defective though it be, is the only object on earth
on which Christ bestows His supreme regard. He is constantly watching it with solicitude, and is strengthening it by His Holy Spirit.--2SM 396 (1902). {LDE 58.3}

-What do you think of these?...Because I noticed that when a person strives to adhere/follow the will of God, they are called extremist,fanatics,etc. Should we listen to the opinions of men or steadfastly follow God's precepts?

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Call For Reformation

Unless the church, which is now being leavened with her own backsliding, shall repent and be converted, she will eat of the fruit of her own doing, until she shall abhor herself. When she resists the evil and chooses the good, when she seeks God with all humility and reaches her high calling in Christ, standing on the platform of eternal truth and by faith laying hold upon the attainments prepared for her, she will be healed. She will appear in her God-given simplicity and
purity, separate from earthly entanglements, showing that the truth has made her free indeed. Then her members will indeed be the chosen of God, His representatives. {8T 250.3}

The time has come for a thorough reformation to take place. When this reformation begins, the spirit of prayer will actuate every believer and will banish from the church the spirit of discord and strife. Those who have not been living in Christian fellowship will draw close to one another. One member working in right lines will lead other members to unite with him in making intercession for the revelation of the Holy Spirit. There will be no confusion, because all will be in harmony with the mind of the Spirit. The barriers separating believer from believer will be broken down, and God's servants will speak the same things. The Lord will co-operate with His servants. All will pray understandingly the prayer that Christ taught His servants: "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." Matthew 6:10.

The coming of Christ is nearer than when we first believed. The great controversy is nearing its end. The judgments of God are in the land. They speak in solemn warning, saying: "Be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh." Matthew 24:44. {8T 252.2}

But there are many, many in our churches who know little of the real meaning of the truth for this time. I appeal to them not to disregard the fulfilling of the signs of the times, which says so plainly that the end is near. Oh, how many who have not sought their souls' salvation will soon make the bitter lamentation: "The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved"! {8T 252.3}

We are living in the closing scenes of this earth's history. Prophecy is fast fulfilling. The hours of probation are fast passing. We have no time--not a moment--to lose. Let us not be found sleeping on guard. Let no one say in his heart or by his works: "My Lord delayeth His coming." Let the message of Christ's soon return sound forth in earnest words of warning. Let us persuade men and women everywhere to repent and flee from the wrath to come. Let us arouse them

(253)

to immediate preparation, for we little know what is before us. Let ministers and lay members go forth into the ripening fields to tell the unconcerned and indifferent to seek the Lord while He may be found. The workers will find their harvest wherever they proclaim the forgotten truths of the Bible. They will find those who will accept the truth and will devote their lives to winning souls to Christ. {8T 252.4}

The Lord is soon to come, and we must be prepared to meet Him in peace. Let us be determined to do all in our power to impart light to those around us.

In the great closing work we shall meet with perplexities that we know not how to deal with; but let us not forget that the three great powers of heaven are working, that a divine hand is on the wheel, and that God will bring His promises to pass. He will gather from the world a people who will serve Him in righteousness.

-
{8T 254.1}
Many thanks for your nice and inspiring comment just now. Happy Sabbath brother Atul. Praise the Lord!
Ladyeve | These are good quotes. I noticed that when a person strives to follow the will of God they get called names too. I was never really one to care of what others think. Looking at these examples above in the original post, I see that it is possible some did care, and look, the work did not get done. What a mess.

About revival, from listening to some sermons and reading some too on this, it is important that we also see reform and shake away the ways and practices of this world. Some may get all emotional and think they were filled with the spirit while they may only be deceived and excited for the wrong reason. Without reform, there is no true revival. Your 3rd and 4th quote is what I mean :)

If any is being called such names, it must only be because they are doing something right. After all, think of the prophets of past, how they were rejected and told to prophesy not. How they were killed. Same o same o.
You really love assuming, don't you.

I do not "self inflict" wounds. Thanks, no thanks.

"Shady Adventist Videos". You can tell all this without watching them, can't you. How do you attain such a psychic like ability? John? Either that or your very judgmental. Either way, something to be careful of.

Misinformed? Nah... I'm good :) Thanks for your... concern? Not exactly sure what your purpose was. Don't you have anything better to do with your time other than criticize? Jus curious.

Happy Sabbath a little in advance. May God bless you and yours.
True, your missing the facts though, so the only choice I have left to pick out from is criticism. The kind that doesn't even verify, or is willing to listen. Oh well, thats on you, not me.

Back to the point of this post, I think they were good quotes. Hope the topic presented here can help all who come across it. :)
Thank you John. I appreciate what you are bringing out here. Do we place our faith on shady SDA videos or do we get into God's Holy Word?. I pray that our people will turn to His Word.

Thank you for speaking out John. God bless.
"Shady SDA video".... Prove it. You two love feeding fires :/

You're assuming I listen to music with drums in it. How easy it is to "make points" when you're painting both sides of the picture.

Actually, what I listen to in the car is some talk radio, sometimes.. jus to see whats going on in the political world and events n news n stuff like that, and also I have several CDs with sermons from like Stephen Bohr, Mark Finley etc. Thats really what I listen to actually. So that point you tried can be thrown out.

You know, as for the drums, this topic has to do with revival :) You're not going to listen to anything I say anyway, just do your usual assuming and whatever else you want to do. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of arguing, its not edifying. You will agree to this, right?

You don't know why I believe the way I do about instruments or drums or what have you, so please, stop :) You may think you do, but you do not.

God bless.
Hurt? Of course not. It won't hurt to share my perspective. Lets look at the pattern though.

I'll say this, and that is assumed or added instead.

I'll share something, and the strongest opposers (which I'm used to and don't mind) will unleash everything except for words having to do with the content of the material. Assumptions take place, again.

.... you know, already I think I've written too much. This won't really be paid attention to anyway, and I'll just see the same pattern over and over and over.

Anyway, my perspective for this topic, in staying as brief as I can, is that for a true revival, so that a "strange fire" does not come upon us leading us to believe it is the real Holy Spirit when its not, I believe there should be a genuine reform and confessing of sins and putting away of such. Not a time of shouting and this and that, but more of a time of... well the examples around the day of atonement. Quotes have been shared here by the original poster and by Tyrone that is pretty informative. :)
Cannot tell you how thankful I am that your voice is heard on here, Pastor John! Thank you, thank you.
Hi Ladyeve.

Thank you for sharing these thoughts from the Spirit of prophecy. These are sobering words for contemplation. It is apparent that the straight testimony of Jesus arouses the spirit of the dragon and cannot be tolerated those not controlled by the Spirit of God. True revival will definitely be opposed by the enemy.

I want to share some words of help for us before I speak to the questions you posted.

The volumes of Spirit of Prophecy, and also the Testimonies, should be introduced into every Sabbathkeeping family, and the brethren should know their value and be urged to read them...They should be in the library of every family and read again and again. Let them be kept where they can be read by many, and let them be worn out in being read by all the neighbors. {4T 390.3}

I put this quote here because I notice that you are not afraid to quote the testimony of Jesus and I wish to encourage you to continue doing so especially when speaking to those who claim to be 7th Day Adventists as you have been doing. Do not be intimidated by men who seek to exert authority over your conscience. We are at liberty to receive a revelation of God's will from wherever our heavenly Father has authorized us to receive it. that would include the writings of Ellen G. White. No man has any place trying to persuade us otherwise.

We have no counsel that the writings of Ellen G. White should absolutely not be shared with unbelievers or those not of our faith. This is an opinion held by some. However, we are counseled that the writings of Ellen G. White should not be used to prove our doctrines. There are also some "matters" in the testimonies that are specifically for the people of God and not to be shared with the world.

I stated that some had taken an unwise course; when they had talked their faith to unbelievers, and the proof had been asked for, they had read from my writings instead of going to the Bible for proof. It was shown me that this course was inconsistent and would prejudice unbelievers against the truth. The Testimonies can have no weight with those who know nothing of their spirit. They should not be referred to in such cases. {5T 669.2}

There are matters in the Testimonies that are written, not for the world at large, but for the believing children of God, and it is not appropriate to make instruction, warning, reproof, or counsel of this character public to the world. {TM 34.1}

Ladyeve said:Because I noticed that when a person strives to adhere/follow the will of God, they are called extremist,fanatics,etc

Yes. When we try to follow God's will we are called names. The oddest thing to me is that the name callers I have encountered are mainly people claiming to be 7th Day Adventists. Pray for the name callers. These poor souls are deceived.

Here's an interesting thought about being called extremist and fanatics -

When we reach the standard that the Lord would have us reach, worldlings will regard Seventh-day Adventists as odd, singular, straight -laced extremists. " {RH, January 9, 1894 par. 10}

Again I say, Do not be discouraged. Think on these words.

Who is he that condemneth ? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ ? shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword ? Romans 8:34,35

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:37-39)

It has been my personal experience that some of the greatest opposition to obedience to God, the Spirit of prophecy and other present truth issues, has come from those who claim to be 7th Day Adventists.

Hence, the spiritual revival that is much needed can only be expected in response to deep, genuine repentance for the underlying principle of sin which is selfishness and earnest prayer. Right on this website our heavenly Father has been allowing us to see things about ourselves that should be repented of.

I pray you have a happy Sabbath and a victorious weekend in Christ my friend.

Thank you for allowing my reply.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by