Adventist Online

..or those who question why God doesn't save everyone.

The wrong premise that comes with Universalism, is that the wicked will die is not true because it would then be a limitation in God, it holds that if all are not saved, it limits God and His ability to heal all sin. It really is failure on their part to realize that God cannot create character. God can create sinless beings, but the character must be developed by the freewill choices of the person. While God does possess the power to overwrite the individuality of a person and instill His perfection without their consent, to do so would destroy that person and create a basically a robot, where that person used to be. This action would violate God’s own character of love, which never compels, never coerces, and never forces. Love only exists in an atmosphere of freedom. So the Universalist idea, that God’s love will one day be so compelling that all will be overwhelmed and become godly, actually presents a God who is not love, but rather a dictator who forces everyone to be like Him. Genuine love, as painful as it is, allows the rejection of love.

The next idea that is problem in Universalism, is that forgiveness solves the sin problem. If sin is the breaking of rules and requires punishment, but Jesus paid the punishment, then wouldn’t God forgive everyone? And if God forgives everyone, won’t all be saved?

The argument is that there is no limit to God’s forgiveness; therefore, all are forgiven and so all will be saved. While it is true that God’s forgiveness is limitless and that He forgives everyone, forgiveness does not equal salvation.  For Universalists, if a person is pardoned, he or she is freed from the punishment of the law and since God forgives everyone, then everyone must be saved. But the reality we find is that while you can forgive a person for overdosing on drugs, the forgiveness doesn’t prevent the damage done and the user still dies.

Jesus forgave those who crucified Him, but the evidence shows that many were not changed by that forgiveness. They remained selfish, and full of iniquity and within their hearts still hated truth and love. Thus, if God would take them to heaven anyway, it would be a place of torture to them, as they by their choices, have rejected love and truth and developed selfish characters that will not find God’s unveiled infinite love and truth enjoyable, they rather flee from God, begging to have the mountains crush them to hide them from Him.

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting this article as you say Jesus did forgive a lot the only one who he did not forgive was Judas Iscariot. Although Jesus did say: 

Mat 7:13  Go in through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many there are who go in through it. 14  Because narrow is the gate and constricted is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. 

The universalism would have a problem with what Jesus did say here.

Elijah said, “…Jesus did forgive a lot the only one who he did not forgive was Judas Iscariot.”

That sound like something you would do. The bible says (and you may try reading it sometime)

He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Gene, do you mean that we will see Judas walking on the streets of Gold? Because that is not my understanding 

Act 1:15  During this time, when about 120 believers were together in one place, Peter stood up and addressed them. 16  “Brothers,” he said, “the Scriptures had to be fulfilled concerning Judas, who guided those who arrested Jesus. This was predicted long ago by the Holy Spirit, speaking through King David. 17  Judas was one of us and shared in the ministry with us.” 18  (Judas had bought a field with the money he received for his treachery. Falling headfirst there, his body split open, spilling out all his intestines. 19  The news of his death spread to all the people of Jerusalem, and they gave the place the Aramaic name Akeldama, which means “Field of Blood.”) 20  Peter continued, “This was written in the book of Psalms, where it says, ‘Let his home become desolate, with no one living in it.’ It also says, ‘Let someone else take his position.’ 

I do read the Bible and I do not like you put my own spin on what I read. I let the Bible interpret itself, where the whole of the bible needs to be in harmony. 

Richard said,

Jesus forgave those who crucified Him, but the evidence shows that many were not changed by that forgiveness.

And how do you know this?  Jesus died for our transgressions, it is not because of his death, but because of his life that we have salvation.

For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life!

God has forgiven everyone and in the final act everyone will be saved except those who have knowingly rejected God’s salvation.

And whoever was not found inscribed in The Book of Life was cast into The Lake of Fire.

Sin is not the breaking of the rules, but sin lead to transgression. Roman 5:12 says sin came into the world, so obviously it’s not something you do, it’s something that is; its diametrically opposed to God; it an enemy of God.

11Not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. 12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned.

Jesus did not just pay the punishment; the bible tells us he was manifested to destroy the works of the devil.

He who commits sin is from Satan, because Satan is a sinner from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this reason: To destroy the works of Satan.

Sin is a devilish device, Adam became a victim of it and therefore plunged all humanity into chaos.

…21For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own turn…

You don’t understand the salvation of God; perhaps you think that a man can save himself? Jesus is fighting a war that is not over and will not be until the great white throne judgement.  Sin and death came into the human world. The bible says the last enemy to be destroyed will be death. So, all will be saved, you can call it universalism or salvation; it’s God’s plan.

Gene said:

"You don’t understand the salvation of God"

Clearly, you don't either.

I think that Gene is a believer in "Once saved always saved." 

Benicio said,

I think that Gene is a believer in Once saved always saved…

God’s plan of salvation is comprehensive and will include everyone who has every lived since the beginning of Adam.

Jesus has not destroyed sin nor has he destroyed death yet, but he has saved the world from it until it can be completely removed from the earth.

Romans 5:18

Therefore, just as one trespass brought condemnation for all men, so also one act of righteousness brought justification and life for all men.

Now, the bible takes us through this entire process, it says

For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy to be destroyed is death.… 28And when all things have been subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all.…

So, the notion “once saved always saved”, makes sense because only God can save us, we cannot save ourselves.

2 Corinthians 5: 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men’s trespasses against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Ok Gene nice. that mean you believe in the doctrine of Once saved always saved.

Do you believe that we have to work or salvation? 

Reconciled! That God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men's trespasses against them. Ok Gene then I can steel still go to heaven, I can fornication, adulterers, lair ext and still go to heaven? Once save always saved. God is not counting my trespasses against me?  

Peace 

Brother Gene, "once saved always saved" does make sense, but it has to be viewed in its proper context, Yes, once a person accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior, as The Lamb of GOD to take away the sins of the world, then that person is washed of their sins right then and there. Period! 

Now, only a few can go cold turkey, do a 180 & stop sinning.... That's why there is a sanctification process, but make no mistake, we must get sin out of our lives. As I write, I'm writing to myself, this is not a game. 

We can see from the Bible, when a Christian finds out that Jesus hasn't accepted him, and asked, have I not preach and prophecie in your Name, and Jesus says I knew you not. 

So when we say "once saved always saved", it doesn't mean that's a license to sin because Jesus' blood washes away our sin. We ought to stand fast in His ways, live a life like Jesus.. He set the standard and example of how we should live a life without sin.

Of course when Jesus comes in the clouds and all eyes can see Him, it's either your on Jesus' side or on the side of Satan. If your deceive at that time, then you are considered to be among the wicked. Only two categories brother Gene, righteous & wicked.

blessings! 

Two ways one for life and the other one is to destruction.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that  leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and  difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Here we can see Gene that the doctrine of  once saved  always saved is a lei!   Their is two way one that bring salvation and the other way led to destruction.

Read 1Corinthians 6:9-11

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by