Adventist Online

..or those who question why God doesn't save everyone.

The wrong premise that comes with Universalism, is that the wicked will die is not true because it would then be a limitation in God, it holds that if all are not saved, it limits God and His ability to heal all sin. It really is failure on their part to realize that God cannot create character. God can create sinless beings, but the character must be developed by the freewill choices of the person. While God does possess the power to overwrite the individuality of a person and instill His perfection without their consent, to do so would destroy that person and create a basically a robot, where that person used to be. This action would violate God’s own character of love, which never compels, never coerces, and never forces. Love only exists in an atmosphere of freedom. So the Universalist idea, that God’s love will one day be so compelling that all will be overwhelmed and become godly, actually presents a God who is not love, but rather a dictator who forces everyone to be like Him. Genuine love, as painful as it is, allows the rejection of love.

The next idea that is problem in Universalism, is that forgiveness solves the sin problem. If sin is the breaking of rules and requires punishment, but Jesus paid the punishment, then wouldn’t God forgive everyone? And if God forgives everyone, won’t all be saved?

The argument is that there is no limit to God’s forgiveness; therefore, all are forgiven and so all will be saved. While it is true that God’s forgiveness is limitless and that He forgives everyone, forgiveness does not equal salvation.  For Universalists, if a person is pardoned, he or she is freed from the punishment of the law and since God forgives everyone, then everyone must be saved. But the reality we find is that while you can forgive a person for overdosing on drugs, the forgiveness doesn’t prevent the damage done and the user still dies.

Jesus forgave those who crucified Him, but the evidence shows that many were not changed by that forgiveness. They remained selfish, and full of iniquity and within their hearts still hated truth and love. Thus, if God would take them to heaven anyway, it would be a place of torture to them, as they by their choices, have rejected love and truth and developed selfish characters that will not find God’s unveiled infinite love and truth enjoyable, they rather flee from God, begging to have the mountains crush them to hide them from Him.

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gene, yet again a text taken out of context. We are the sons of God if we accept Him as Lord. 

Elijah, you have yet to comprehend the full glorious responsibilities of the son of God.

For the whole creation hopes for and expects the revelation of the sons of God. … 21For the creation shall also be freed from the bondage of destruction into the liberty of the glory of the sons of God.

Thanks for your reply Gene, and I think you need to understand that you can not use Gods word to prove ideas that your deceived mind comes up with. And again a "text taken out of context is a Pretext."

Gene, you forget that man has freewill and can turn from God and reject His mercy and gift of everlasting life and lead to the path of iniquity and they perish..

Genesis 6:5-13 King James Version (KJV)

And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

10 And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Gene said:

"So, what part of this you don’t grasp? Threw, hurled outside, driven out, cast out; all is the same action."

What I do not Grasp is how you can take texts out of context. I have told you many times you need to reconcile the whole bible. The saying goes "a text taken out of context is a pretext."  

Gene

You must lay your preconceived opinions, your hereditary and cultivated ideas, at the door of investigation. If you search the Scriptures to vindicate your own opinions, you will never reach the truth. Search in order to learn what the Lord says. If conviction comes as you search, if you see that your cherished opinions are not in harmony with the truth, do not misinterpret the truth in order to suit your own belief, but accept the light given. Open mind and heart that you may behold wondrous things out of God’s word. {COL 112.3}

Jason,

I don’t have any preconceived opinions, if I did, I would probably be like you.  But, let me ask this question.  How do you study? You seem to be very informative in term of SOP information. Do you study the SOP and confirm it using the bible or do study the bible and confirm it using the SOP?  Do you just take the SOP by faith, can you confirm anything other than the verbatim quotes of the bible? 

sorry i don't understand your question. you said that you don't have preconceived opinions? well that's a shocker! 

Like Jason, I am amazed you can say such a thing. Because all your posts always have pre-conceived ideas with texts that are not in harmony with other texts. If you don't like us to post from EGW just say so. 

Matt.  4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 

He showed Jesus the glory of the world, but not all the wickedness.  And that's why people are deceived by universalism.  My Sabbath school teacher taught that football players are saved because they pray before the game.  He's deceived by worldly people he has respect for.  People think self-exaltation is the same as giving glory to God.  That makes sense because man is made in the image of God, so giving glory to man is almost the same thing as giving glory to God.

They glorified human genius, worshiped the works of their own hands, and taught their children to bow down to graven images. {PP 90.3}

Rush, good to see you again,

Adam partook to the tree of good and evil, that is the world, and the reality we live in. Yes, man is deceived because of this, but man has no other knowledge in order to escape this. Yes, man has his religions, but his religion is also good and evil because it is derived from the world, he exists in. The only way true knowledge will come is when Jesus Christ returns.

Isaiah 2:3 presents a scene of how this will change. MAN CANNOT SAVE HIMSELF; only God can save the human race.

2In the last days the mountain of the house of the LORD will be established as the chief of the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it

Many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the temple of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths."

Both humans and angels are 'sons' of God, who being lost for a time being could be found and welcome home. If the prodigal son decided NOT to return (after being convicted of the Father's love), he would have died a lost son to be missed forever - sad as it could be.

One such lost son is Satan himself; fully convicted of God's love, he decided to pervert the truth, ignored it and now teaches that all others who wish to emulate his course of action will eventually be saved. Wonderful indeed! To such, "It is finished" or "let him who is holy remain holy, and him who is unholy remain unholy" are but mere words sort of slip of tongue from God's own mouth. These word's will not fulfill their purpose as they are meant to scare us only.

In the parable, the prodigal son left home already forgiven. But that forgiveness did not warranty the return of a living son and could as well have resulted in his death if he chose to take the said course of action suggested by Satan.

In the final analysis, both those who will receive the crown of life and those who will be destroyed, will confess that both rewards are just and a true reflection of God's love to both the redeemed and the destroyed. The redeemed receive what they loved most, likewise the destroyed desperately request to die rather than live forever and perpetually see the unending suffering of God's dear Son agonizing to fix their unreachable hearts.

Their destruction will be in answer to their own unrelenting plea. And as the Lord will morn for His dear lost SDA's (half hour silence in heaven of Rev. 8:1), why should he delight in the destruction of any other? And if a temporary 'short break' from life, there would be no need for Him to experience such anguish because He like in the days past, would declare that these are not dead but asleep. 

If all will be saved, then indeed Satan will claim his fair share as an exalted covering cherub once again. How do you like that?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service