Adventist Online

..or those who question why God doesn't save everyone.

The wrong premise that comes with Universalism, is that the wicked will die is not true because it would then be a limitation in God, it holds that if all are not saved, it limits God and His ability to heal all sin. It really is failure on their part to realize that God cannot create character. God can create sinless beings, but the character must be developed by the freewill choices of the person. While God does possess the power to overwrite the individuality of a person and instill His perfection without their consent, to do so would destroy that person and create a basically a robot, where that person used to be. This action would violate God’s own character of love, which never compels, never coerces, and never forces. Love only exists in an atmosphere of freedom. So the Universalist idea, that God’s love will one day be so compelling that all will be overwhelmed and become godly, actually presents a God who is not love, but rather a dictator who forces everyone to be like Him. Genuine love, as painful as it is, allows the rejection of love.

The next idea that is problem in Universalism, is that forgiveness solves the sin problem. If sin is the breaking of rules and requires punishment, but Jesus paid the punishment, then wouldn’t God forgive everyone? And if God forgives everyone, won’t all be saved?

The argument is that there is no limit to God’s forgiveness; therefore, all are forgiven and so all will be saved. While it is true that God’s forgiveness is limitless and that He forgives everyone, forgiveness does not equal salvation.  For Universalists, if a person is pardoned, he or she is freed from the punishment of the law and since God forgives everyone, then everyone must be saved. But the reality we find is that while you can forgive a person for overdosing on drugs, the forgiveness doesn’t prevent the damage done and the user still dies.

Jesus forgave those who crucified Him, but the evidence shows that many were not changed by that forgiveness. They remained selfish, and full of iniquity and within their hearts still hated truth and love. Thus, if God would take them to heaven anyway, it would be a place of torture to them, as they by their choices, have rejected love and truth and developed selfish characters that will not find God’s unveiled infinite love and truth enjoyable, they rather flee from God, begging to have the mountains crush them to hide them from Him.

Views: 791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,

I don’t have any preconceived opinions, if I did, I would probably be like you.  But, let me ask this question.  How do you study? You seem to be very informative in term of SOP information. Do you study the SOP and confirm it using the bible or do study the bible and confirm it using the SOP?  Do you just take the SOP by faith, can you confirm anything other than the verbatim quotes of the bible? 

sorry i don't understand your question. you said that you don't have preconceived opinions? well that's a shocker! 

Like Jason, I am amazed you can say such a thing. Because all your posts always have pre-conceived ideas with texts that are not in harmony with other texts. If you don't like us to post from EGW just say so. 

Matt.  4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 

He showed Jesus the glory of the world, but not all the wickedness.  And that's why people are deceived by universalism.  My Sabbath school teacher taught that football players are saved because they pray before the game.  He's deceived by worldly people he has respect for.  People think self-exaltation is the same as giving glory to God.  That makes sense because man is made in the image of God, so giving glory to man is almost the same thing as giving glory to God.

They glorified human genius, worshiped the works of their own hands, and taught their children to bow down to graven images. {PP 90.3}

Rush, good to see you again,

Adam partook to the tree of good and evil, that is the world, and the reality we live in. Yes, man is deceived because of this, but man has no other knowledge in order to escape this. Yes, man has his religions, but his religion is also good and evil because it is derived from the world, he exists in. The only way true knowledge will come is when Jesus Christ returns.

Isaiah 2:3 presents a scene of how this will change. MAN CANNOT SAVE HIMSELF; only God can save the human race.

2In the last days the mountain of the house of the LORD will be established as the chief of the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it

Many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the temple of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths."

Both humans and angels are 'sons' of God, who being lost for a time being could be found and welcome home. If the prodigal son decided NOT to return (after being convicted of the Father's love), he would have died a lost son to be missed forever - sad as it could be.

One such lost son is Satan himself; fully convicted of God's love, he decided to pervert the truth, ignored it and now teaches that all others who wish to emulate his course of action will eventually be saved. Wonderful indeed! To such, "It is finished" or "let him who is holy remain holy, and him who is unholy remain unholy" are but mere words sort of slip of tongue from God's own mouth. These word's will not fulfill their purpose as they are meant to scare us only.

In the parable, the prodigal son left home already forgiven. But that forgiveness did not warranty the return of a living son and could as well have resulted in his death if he chose to take the said course of action suggested by Satan.

In the final analysis, both those who will receive the crown of life and those who will be destroyed, will confess that both rewards are just and a true reflection of God's love to both the redeemed and the destroyed. The redeemed receive what they loved most, likewise the destroyed desperately request to die rather than live forever and perpetually see the unending suffering of God's dear Son agonizing to fix their unreachable hearts.

Their destruction will be in answer to their own unrelenting plea. And as the Lord will morn for His dear lost SDA's (half hour silence in heaven of Rev. 8:1), why should he delight in the destruction of any other? And if a temporary 'short break' from life, there would be no need for Him to experience such anguish because He like in the days past, would declare that these are not dead but asleep. 

If all will be saved, then indeed Satan will claim his fair share as an exalted covering cherub once again. How do you like that?

Some people may argue or suppose that their religion is the truth; I’m sure as a SDA you believe that you have a certain truth;(this is something that I too recited regularly).  Religion for some has become their God, while others may remove themselves from it because of the obvious hypocrisy of it. People believe God by faith, we don’t know, but as the bible teaches, the Spirit itself witness to our spirit that we are the sons of God. Now, this is true, if you are a Christian believer, but what if you embrace some other form of religious belief?

There are human beings who are wicked in the world, who have aligned themselves with Satan. I’m not talking about those who may commit evil acts, some of which is due to mental illness or other societal inputs.

We must consider the fact that Satan had been exposed to true knowledge; complete knowledge.  Yes had, because he is now chained in darkness; his intellect is darkened.

Mankind on the other hand never had and does not have true knowledge; human knowledge is mingled with sin. Man partook of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Man has knowledge, but that knowledge is corrupt. In his world, man is also influenced by the great deceiver; Satan who leads the whole world astray.

In this age, many are called out of this world now, not "all”. This is demonstrated in Mark 4:11

10But when they were by themselves, those twelve who were with him inquired of him about that parable. 11Yeshua said to them, "It has been given to you to know the secrets of the Kingdom of God, but to outsiders, everything has been in parables," 12"So that seeing they shall see and not see, and hearing they shall hear and they shall not understand, unless perhaps they shall be converted and their sins shall be forgiven them."

This should tell us, there will be a time when those on the outside will obtain true knowledge; but how will that happen, if not now?  The wicked have no desire for God’s knowledge. Job 21:13

They spend their days in prosperity and go down to Sheol in peace. 14Yet they say to God: ‘Leave us alone! For we have no desire to know Your ways. 15Who is the Almighty, that we should serve Him, and what would we gain if we pray to Him?’…

So, it seems for God the be fair, everyone must be given true knowledge. Everyone will be saved but the wicked, those who rejects the true knowledge of God.

Gene said:

"Some people may argue or suppose that their religion is the truth; I’m sure as a SDA you believe that you have a certain truth;(this is something that I too recited regularly).  Religion for some has become their God, while others may remove themselves from it because of the obvious hypocrisy of it."

Do you call SDA Hypocrites?

Yes Gene, religion can become someone's god.

Religion; from Latin, religare; to bind back, in a negative sense.

Benicio stated; "James with do all respect, what you are saying is spiritual fornication." 

What statement by me are you referring to and what do you mean? 

James said:

"What statement by me are you referring to and what do you mean?" 

I let Benicio answer for himself. But to me, it's not hard to see you are the kind of Bible student who finds a verse that says something and you grab it and run with it even when it has been pointed out to you that what you say is not in keeping with what the rest of the Bible says. Take the issue about the mark of the beast where you claim its a computer chip. That kind of Bible study is spiritual fornication.  

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service