Adventist Online

The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden.” Acts of the Apostles, p. 52

Is this passage true? Can we understand the Nature of the Holy Spirit, or is it a misunderstood mystery?

Given the early SDA Churches confusion on the role and personage of the Holy Spirit, does this passage reflect a fundamental understanding of the purpose of  the Holy Spirit in our lives?

Views: 875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ian

I agree that Catholicism has some sects both historically and contemporary that have cultism aspects. A belief in the supremacy of the Pope and infallibility in his word and in tradition can produce thinking that supplants the Holy Spirit. Departing from scripture is common to many religions and can happen when we alter the word to support our personal or organizational agenda. It is our supreme duty as Christians to have our own personal relationship with Christ. Through our communion with the Holy Spirit we can learn to lean on Heavenly understanding instead of our own.

H. Leon Bryan Ed.D.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Also

Demonizing and labeling others, is a sign of insecurity about your own position. It is also a sign of cultism.

Leon

Of course the civil rights leaders had the gift of prophecy.  They provided "edification, exhortation and comfort" which is what prophets do, and you can see the fruits of their labor in voting rights, non-discrimination laws and the reduction of slavery.  Do you guys think the improvement in civil right is not influenced by God?  Maybe men are so smart and benevolent that we don't need God, or maybe the devil decided to let up and reduce the hatred?  Of course not, if it were up to men we would still have slavery.  The world would be wallowing in pollution, poverty, sickness and crime.  All those problems exist, but they would be much worse if God removed his hand and the devil had free-reign.

Ellen White wrote "The colored people should not urge that they be placed on an equality with white people."  That was the advice at the time, but when the time came for Africans to urge to be placed on equability with Caucasians White was no longer with us, so we needed the gift of prophecy from others.  If Adventists were not so opposed to spiritual gifts then perhaps that message could have come from us, but God choose people like King, Tutu, and Mandela for the role.  Does that make them perfect?  Of course not, Jesus is our example, not humans.

Shannon yes thanks for your thoughts, so if Bishop Tutu is a prophet I guess all freedom movement leaders should be prophets according to your thoughts. 

Your quote about urge for equality is taken out of context i think. What I got from reading around your quote is that if the colored people  was urging for equality at that time they would be hindering the work of God to spread the 3 Angels message. Let us remember slavery is a device instituted by Satan even that slavery is nearly as old as humanity itself, and the freedom movement can be used by Satan as well to hinder God's work. 

Elijah, yes, and if blacks had urged equality at that time it would have been fruitless as well.

My point is that "The colored people should not urge that they be placed on an equality with white people" was never meant to be permanent counsel, of course Africans are equal to Caucasians.

When it was time and God called out new people to deliver the message a lot of Adventists missed it since they think there has only been one prophet in the last 2000 years..  We still have segregated conferences. Since Adventists claim to believe in prophecy we should have been the first church to accept the civil rights movement.  Its a sad fact that Adventists no longer embrace prophecy.

I believe if you are being fair in not posting the entire quote. I will post it here for all to see.

Let colored laborers do what they can to keep abreast, working earnestly for their own people. I thank God that among the colored believers there are men of talent who can work efficiently for their own people, presenting the truth in clear lines. There are many colored people of precious talent who will be converted to the truth if our colored ministers are wise in devising ways of training teachers for the schools and other laborers for the field. 9T 214.2
The colored people should not urge that they be placed on an equality with white people. The relation of the two races has been a matter hard to deal with, and I fear that it will ever remain a most perplexing problem. So far as possible, everything that would stir up the race prejudice of the white people should be avoided. There is danger of closing the door so that our white laborers will not be able to work in some places in the South. 9T 214.3
I know that if we attempt to meet the ideas and preferences of some of the colored people, we shall find our way blocked completely. The work of proclaiming the truth for this time is not to be hindered by an effort to adjust the position of the Negro race. Should we attempt to do this we should find that barriers like mountains would be raised to hinder the work that God desires to have done. If we move quietly and judiciously, laboring 9T 214.4

Jason, yes, that is the context.  My point is not that Ellen White claimed blacks are inferior.  My point is that White's advice of "The colored people should not urge that they be placed on an equality with white people", was meant for that time and it is no longer relevant today.  But some Adventists look at statements like that to oppose civil rights today.

Shannon I believe everyone provides "edification, exhortation and comfort" . And we know that not everyone is a prophet..

Your criteria for a prophet seems very low.

Where did you get this criteria for a prophet? I don't see God in this picture you are painting...

Social justice, something that very few white Christians have been willing to participate in, is at the very heart of the gospel.

He has told you, O man, what is good, and what the LORD really wants from you: He wants you to promote justice, to be faithful, and to live obediently before your God. Micah 6:8

Prophets doesn’t speak new visions, there are no new visions outside of what’s in the scriptures. Prophets expound on the word of God, making it clear.

Jesus was a prophet, and he also spoke of social justice.

"The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim deliverance to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

This text does indeed encompass edification, exhortation and comfort.

Yes, this is my point, everyone does these things but this does not make them a prophet.

"Where did you get this criteria for a prophet? I don't see God in this picture you are painting..."

Jason, 1 Corinthians 14:3 is the text you are looking for.  It is not the criteria of a prophet, it is the role of a prophet.  Plenty of people offer exhortation for instance, but that doesn't make them a prophet.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service