Adventist Online

The current lesson is about the Holy Spirit. Its direct trinitarian slant has brought up some animated discussions in some quarters. Here is the preface.

Lesson preface

How does this new doctrine of the trinity harmonize with the pioneer view?

Views: 602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please explain how this is a new doctrine.
You refer to "the pioneer view", what do you mean by that?
Why should it matter what view people held, isn't the Bible the ruler by which we measure our beliefs?
Ellen White helped in removing the blinders off the pioneers on this subject, but some individuals still want to hold on to error. The lesson is very pertinent in destroying the heresies held by some on the subject of the Holy Spirit.

The Lesson does a great job on this subject...

The trinity doctrine is not new as such, but in the Adventist church it is only in 1980 that it became a fundamental belief. Adventist pioneers including EG White did not have it although the trinity doctrine was in the Catholic church and the churches most of the pioneers left (Baptist and Methodist mainly). The Bible does not have the word trinity, much less the trinity doctrine.

If we prove to you that Ellen White believed in the Trinity, would you then accept it?

Would you believe if we also prove it from the Bible?
The Catholic Church killed anyone that didn't believe in the trinity, as well as anyone that spoke in tongues or any other manifestation of Holy Spirit was deemed to be of the Devil. It was a religious monopoly or tyranny.
Dan, please clarify exactly what you mean. You are speaking in vague terms... what do you mean by "doctrine of the trinity". After all, if you don't know what you are arguing against there can be no discussion.
You rightly say the word "trinity" is not in the Bible. So what? Neither are the words "incarnation", "divinity", "omnipotent", "omniscient" and many more. Are you suggesting that we are only limited in theological discussion to the words found in the English translation of the Bible?
So, please clarify what you mean. Are you suggesting that all trinitarian beliefs are inventions of the Roman Catholic Church?
You are using a word with a variety of definitions so please clarify which definition you are applying to the word "trinity".
As to whether the Bible contains a trinity doctrine, it all turns on how you define that doctrine.
The founders of SDA were not trinitarians. The believers in the book of Acts were not trinitarians, they did everything in the name of Jesus Christ. Trinity crept into the early church and into the SDA.
What do you mean by trinitarian? I wish someone would please define which definition of trinity is being referred to.
They also were not Sabbath-keepers. So what?
Dan, you are right on. Even the Catholic Encyclopedia states that the trinity WAS NOT A DOCTRINE OF PRIMITIVE CHRISTIANITY. This pagan doctrine crept into the church but was sanctioned in part that Jesus is God in 325 AD at the Nicene Council and enforced by Constantine by his emperor's sword at the throats of the church. Then in 380 AD at the Council of Constantinople the holy spirit was declared to be God also.

The Hebrews, Jesus himself, Paul etc. and the scriptures all held that "Hear (Sh'ma) O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord." Deut. 6:4. ("Hear, O Israel, Jehovah (the Self and ever existing One), our Elohim is one Jehovah." This is what set the Hebrews apart from the polytheism of the pagan world. No where and at no time did the early church do anything in the name of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit of Matthew 28:19. Rather that verse should read in my name (Jesus Christ). Even the great Bible researcher E.W. Bullinger, who was a trinitarian (who wasn't?) states in note for this verse "...the name. Sing. Not 'names.'"

Jesus Christ is seated on the right hand of God, how then is he God? To be beside oneself is a term used for the insane.
Your last sentence gives us your definition of your Trinity, this is not the Christian definition of the Trinity. Please...
Sorry my internet connection is extremely slow and is only opening some windows so allow me to reply on this open one for now. This is the window that opens when I click on Reply for JohnB for example.

JohnB, I am referring to the trinity doctrine of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit three-in-one, triune one God doctrine as taught in the Catholic church and imported into all churches including the Adventist church in various versions and amendments. If you want to have a good view of the trinity doctrine and how mainstream christianity sees it today, please see: http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2012/january/td-jakes-em...
From the article: "The doctrine of the Trinity – embraced by all three historical branches of Christianity – holds that God is three persons, each person is distinct, each person is fully God, and that there is one God."

I need not belabour the Adventist trinity doctrine. I believe you know it by heart or can easily retrieve it from the official church websites.
It is a new doctrine because Adventist pioneers never taught it although it had been around for centuries. In fact, they rejected it openly.

Jason M, I would be happy to see how EG White believed in the Trinity and also proof of the doctrine from the Bible.

Thank you James French.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by