Adventist Online

The current lesson is about the Holy Spirit. Its direct trinitarian slant has brought up some animated discussions in some quarters. Here is the preface.

Lesson preface

How does this new doctrine of the trinity harmonize with the pioneer view?

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your last sentence gives us your definition of your Trinity, this is not the Christian definition of the Trinity. Please...
Sorry my internet connection is extremely slow and is only opening some windows so allow me to reply on this open one for now. This is the window that opens when I click on Reply for JohnB for example.

JohnB, I am referring to the trinity doctrine of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit three-in-one, triune one God doctrine as taught in the Catholic church and imported into all churches including the Adventist church in various versions and amendments. If you want to have a good view of the trinity doctrine and how mainstream christianity sees it today, please see: http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2012/january/td-jakes-em...
From the article: "The doctrine of the Trinity – embraced by all three historical branches of Christianity – holds that God is three persons, each person is distinct, each person is fully God, and that there is one God."

I need not belabour the Adventist trinity doctrine. I believe you know it by heart or can easily retrieve it from the official church websites.
It is a new doctrine because Adventist pioneers never taught it although it had been around for centuries. In fact, they rejected it openly.

Jason M, I would be happy to see how EG White believed in the Trinity and also proof of the doctrine from the Bible.

Thank you James French.

Jesus is God:

Jesus declared, “I am the resurrection, and the life.” In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. “He that hath the Son hath life.” The divinity of Christ is the believer’s assurance of eternal life.—The Desire of Ages, 530 (1898){Ev 616.2}

When they [Israel] came to Sinai, He took occasion to refresh their minds in regard to His requirements. Christ and the Father, standing side by side upon the mount, with solemn majesty proclaimed the Ten Commandments.—Historical Sketches, p. 231. (1866). {Ev 616.3}

HS

The eternal heavenly dignitaries—God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit—arming them [the disciples] with more than mortal energy, ... would advance with them to the work and convince the world of sin.—Manuscript 145, 1901.

We need to realize that the Holy Spirit, who is as much a person as God is a person, is walking through these grounds.—Manuscript 66, 1899 (From a talk to the students at the Avondale School.). {Ev 616.5}

The Holy Spirit is a person, for He beareth witness with our spirits that we are the children of God. When this witness is borne, it carries with it its own evidence. At such times we believe and are sure that we are the children of God.... {Ev 616.6}

he Holy Spirit has a personality, else He could not bear witness to our spirits and with our spirits that we are the children of God. He must also be a divine person, else He could not search out the secrets which lie hidden in the mind of God. “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.”—Manuscript 20, 1906{Ev 617.1}

The prince of the power of evil can only be held in check by the power of God in the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit.—Special Testimonies, Series A, No. 10, p. 37. (1897). {Ev 617.2}

We are to co-operate with the three highest powers in heaven,—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost,—and these powers will work through us, making us workers together with God.—Special Testimonies, Series B, No. 7, p. 51. (1905). {Ev 617.3}

Jason thanks for the reply. All those quotes selected from various EGW sources do not support the trinity doctrine. If you do a little research you will find the trinity doctrine to be an all pervading leaven that flavours the whole Catholic dogma. Unlike the trinitarian-pagan Catholic approach, EGW's writing focuses on the theme of Christ's righteousness and His soon return. So it is no small omission that EGW does not use the word trinity which long after death people claim she supported. In all the quotes you have given, if EGW was trinitarian, the word trinity would have been substituted so that it makes for clear reading. Unfortunately for trinitarians EGW does not even dedicate a single chapter of her writings to a subject that Rome and her daughters hold so dear. Remember tge trinity doctrine was in the churches where EGW and the pioneers came from. It had been propagated for hubdreds of years before she was born and doubtless she must have heard about it or listened to sermons or even read books about the trinity. She was aware her husband James rejected the trinity doctrine and never corrected him or the others like JN Loughborough. It is a pity therefore that this many years after her death, her writings are somehow interpreted to support the trinity doctrine.

She knew what some of the pionners believed that is why she presented it is this way. There were many views on the trinity in those days which, If you read what some of them believed that the Trinity was you would understand. She never denied the Trinity but, as it were, grew in her understanding. Some of these pionners were probably dead when she made some of the strongest statements concerning the Trinity. The word Trinity is not used for many reasons. Different people had various definitions of the word. Read my post below..

The holy spirit is indeed a person but not a third person of the Godhead. The Father and his Son alone is the Godhead.

Thank you Dan! You are brave to bring up such a controversial subject. I have been blasted here for being a Unitarian and not a Trinitarian. I do not know what EGW witnessed as so called speaking in tongues, but the so called interpretation of tongues was a guy drawing something in the dirt, which has no authority or true practice in Christianity, so perhaps that is why she was against so called tongues, though whatever she witnessed was probably not genuinely of God. I bring this up for a reason;

I don't believe in the Trinity doctrine just as EGW and her husband James, and the pioneers of what became the SDA originally. I also believe in and practice prophesy, along with the other 8 manifestations of holy spirit, the prophesy and revelation portions agree with EGW, as well as all 9 manifestations are listed in the Word of God and how I operate them in cooperation with God agrees with the scriptures and the Book of Acts and scriptures both in doctrine and practice.

Therefore, me the so-called outcast, the so called of the Devil and occultist as accused, am actually closer to EGW and the founders than you are in practice and doctrine, except for speaking in tongues and interpretation, but who knew how to do that since around the Catholic takeover and through the centuries.

No one practically with maybe few exceptions, such as the Huganauts who were killed by the Catholic Church who were a very holy people. Such Irony that I am more SDA then most of you?

No where in scripture is belief in the Trinity doctrine a requirement for salvation, see Romans 10:9-10. On the contrary, we are supposed to believe in the only begotten Son of God, and worship God the Father (The Creator) through Jesus Christ. Both Trinitarians and Unitarians speak in tongues or operate the other manifestations of holy spirit, show forth fruit of the spirit and the love of God. The historical and Biblical truths about the so called Trinity which shows that it crept in to the church over time, which was not an original doctrine of the Hebrews, Jesus himself, The Father, or the First Century Church or the Apostle Paul or any other leader of the First Century Church.

There has been no prophesy in the SDA for well over 100 years and most of Christianity for a long time. We are supposed to covet to prophesy, and "you may all prophesy" etc. Why not then? Whats wrong? Why no apostles and prophets? Everybody in charge of churches is generally called a "pastor."

There are 5 gift ministries to the church, for the perfecting of the saints. I guess people aren't being perfected? I speak so as to get you people to think! Why, what could we be doing better in alignment with God's Word and spirit? There's more to following Jesus Christ then Sabbath and as some of you think "diet."
Paul covered those area but you don't believe him either for the most part.

THAT IS RIGHT.  IN LATTER TIMES, IT IS PREDICTED THAT THE DOCTRINES OF MAN WILL BE PRESENTED AS DOCTRINES OF GOD,  WHILE IT IS GOOD TO EAT WELL, BALANCE IS THE KEY NOT VEGETARIANISM OR VEGAN.  NOTHING WRONG WITH THOSE PRINCIPALS IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW AS A MEANS OF HEALTH, BUT TO IMPLY THAT IT IS A RECOMMENDATION FROM GOD IS HERESY, GOD'S LAST RECOMMENDATION ON DIET WAS GIVEN TO NOAH.  

I wrote above somewhat tongue in cheek. But I do believe that sabbath attendance is good if a person believes it is necessary, and they esteem that day as a holy day as Paul said, as well as eating and drinking which he addressed. Some esteem and some don't, some believe they can eat all things (except those offered unto idols), others believe its a sin to eat such and such, well don't eat it. But don't judge others regarding those issues, otherwise you violate what God gave Paul by revelation as gentiles (non-Jews) got born again, and there was a council in Jerusalem, which stated what was required of these Gentiles who spoke in tongues also, and had received the gift of God, holy spirit.

Acts chapter 15

"

Acts 15

1And certain men which came down from Judæa taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.  2When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.  3 And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.  4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.  5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6 ¶ And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.  7And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.  8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;  9And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.  10Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?  11But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

12 ¶ Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

13 ¶ And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:  14Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.  15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,  16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:  17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.  18Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.  19Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:  20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.  21For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.  22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:  23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:  24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:  25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,  26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.  28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;  29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.  30 So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:  31Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.  32And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.  33And after they had tarried there a space, they were let go in peace from the brethren unto the apostles.  34Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.  35Paul also and Barnabas continued in Antioch, teaching and preaching the word of the Lord, with many others also."

Here are the verses regarding Sabbaths and eating and drinking from Colossians 2;

"         10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:  11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:  12 Buried with him in baptism, where in also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.  13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;  14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;  15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.  16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:  17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.  18Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,  19And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.  20Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,  21(Touch not; taste not; handle not;  22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?  23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service