Adventist Online

I was doing a study to write a outline of the foundational pillars of Adventism. Everyone seems to have a personal view of what they entail but limited support for it. What SOP or writings in church periodicals has everyone on this important issue as I have the following pillars.....

The investigative judgment
The sanctuary service
The perpetuity of the Law of God
The faith of Jesus
The Three Angels' Messages
The seventh-day Sabbath
The state of the dead
The special gift of prophecy (or the Testimony of Jesus).

Views: 1764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gene Those texts tells me that Jesus was the same as God in the beginning but gave that away and became a man (second Adam) Jesus did not fail because if he had the universe would not exist. 

James did you ever read these texts:

Php 2:6  who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, 
Php 2:7  but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. 
Php 2:8  And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
Joh 1:2  He was in the beginning with God. 
Joh 1:3  All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being. 

Seems to me, your normal way of doing Bible study seems to take one text in isolation and come up with doctrine, not in keeping with the rest of the Bible

Amen James well said!!

In reference to the  'old landmarks' and 'concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ' 
Those who seek to remove the old landmarks are not holding fast; they are not remembering how they have received and heard. Those who try to bring in theories that would remove the pillars of our faith concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ are working as blind men. They are seeking to bring in uncertainties, and to set the people of God adrift, without an anchor
If the theories that Brother Ballenger presents were received, they would lead many to depart from the faith. They would counterwork the truths upon which the people of God have stood for the past fifty years. I am bidden to say in the name of the Lord that Elder Ballenger is following a false light. The Lord has not given him the message that he is bearing regarding the sanctuary service.
Our Instructor spoke words to Brother Ballenger: “You are bringing in confusion and perplexity by your interpretations of the Scriptures. You think that you have been given new light, but your light will become darkness to those who receive it.... Those who receive your interpretation of Scripture regarding the sanctuary service are receiving error and following in false paths. The enemy will work the minds of those who are eager for something new, preparing them to receive false theories and false expositions of the Scriptures.— 
In clear, plain language I am to say to those in attendance at this conference [the General Conference of 1905] that Brother Ballenger has been allowing his mind to receive and believe specious error.... God has not indited the message that he is bearing. This message, if accepted, would undermine the pillars of our faith.Manuscript 62, 1905, 1, 2. (“A Warning Against False Theories,” Talk, May 24, 1905.) {8MR 244.3}
The truths given us after the passing of the time in 1844 are just as certain and unchangeable as when the Lord gave them to us in answer to our urgent prayers.—Letter 50, 1906, p. 1. (To W. W. Simpson, January 30, 1906.) {8MR 245.1}
I have been surprised and made sad to read some of your articles in the “Medical Missionary,” and especially those on the Sanctuary question. These articles show that you have been departing from the faith. You have helped in confusing the understanding of our people. The correct understanding of the ministration in the heavenly sanctuary, is the foundation of our faith.Letter 208, 1906, p. 2. (To G. C. Tenney, June 29, 1906.) {8MR 245.2}
what's the issue? 
"The correct understanding of the ministration in the heavenly sanctuary, is the foundation of our faith." 
She has no issue with the personality of the Father, Son or Holy Spirit. 
Don't let others confuse you Malachi 

The personality of God is its own pillar; it is related to the sanctuary doctrine, which declares that God is in heaven, but they are two distinct pillars. 

Is God a being in heaven or is He an essence that can be everywhere? 

Is the One the Bible calls God one personality or three personalities?

I believe that if we allow God to divest our preconceived ideas from us and are honest with the Scriptures we can then truthfully answer these questions.

And stop using dishonest sites to prove a faulty point.

Very True M.E. Malachi. The word religion comes from the Latin; religere, meaning to bind back, in a bad sense; bondage, like hands tied behind your back; that is religion, while the truth sets men free, man-made religion keeps men in the systematized error and keeps them paying money, honor and devotion to men which ultimately glorifies Satan, not God. There is no authority in the church epistles which are written directly to the body of Christ (Romans through Thessalonians) for demanding tithes. But there is authority therein to distribute to (for) the necessity of saints, by free-will giving, which most Christians and ministries do not do.

Most will give to their denomination, or to their "pastor," but not to the person in need sitting right next to them.

Practically no one is interested or has the desire to manifest the power of God as demonstrated in the Book of Acts, as this is the age of apostasy of the "church." Believers are supposed to walk by the spirit and manifest the power of God including operation of all nine manifestations of the spirit; "But the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal." First Corinthians 12:7. The word gifts used in I Corinthians 12, 13 and 14 are italicized in the KJV, which signifies the words were added by the translators and that there is no corresponding Greek word in the text, meaning there is no authority for it.

My attempts to get people interested in the holy spirit and its manifestations here are met with either false accusations of the counterfeit spirit of the Devil, (and even false accusation of mental illness by both Elijah and Jason, talk about wickedness) or just plain no interest at all. We are told to desire spiritual matters or things in I Corinthians 12:1, spiritual is the word pneumaticos meaning spiritual matters or things. Again gifts are added.

Salvation is by grace, but eternal rewards are by works that God recognizes. The church is in major apostasy, otherwise we would see vast numbers following the pattern of the Book of Acts and see signs, miracles and wonders on a daily basis. In the 1970's and 80's, there was a great move of God's word. I and others did see often see signs miracles and wonders at that time on an almost weekly or even sometimes daily basis.

A lot of people are going to have a lot of explaining to do when Jesus returns? "But I tithed, and attended every sabbath, and did not eat pork, or meat." But did you believe God and follow the great commission? Including manifesting the power of God via the holy spirit? Did you listen to God and follow His spoken words to you individually? Did you bind the wounds of those hurting, etc.?

The Trinity is completely pagan in origin, as five minutes of research on the internet would prove the 325 ad and 381 councils that made Jesus God and later the holy spirit God. These are historical facts unrefutable.

The usual belly ace from our resident Happy Clapper, that believe that the mark of the beast is a chip. So much for his bible study.

We have been providing all the evidence proving that there are three Persons in the Godhead and  each having His own personality. 

Do you have evidence to the contrary? If so please show it. 

I am not even sure that you are convinced of the assertions you are making.

Don't be blind....

Jason said, We have been providing all the evidence proving that there are three Persons in the Godhead and each having His own personality. 

Actually, I don’t think the “we” have proven anything. Yes, texts from EGW has been presented, but this of itself doesn’t prove what you’re saying.

Ellen White doesn’t really expound on the scriptures, to me she seems to be pondering these ideas in real-time. JohnB wrote this.

In 1906 she wrote, "The Holy Spirit has a personality, else He could not bear witness to our spirits and with our spirits that we are the children of God. He must be a divine person, else He could not search out the secrets which lie hidden in the mind of God." (Manuscript 20, 1906)

How does this tell us the Holy Spirit is a person? Surly the Spirit is divine, but must it be a person (a third person)?  The bible calls it the Spirit of God.

The bible explains these seemly questions she seems to poses, but she doesn’t at all use the bible to tell us how the Spirit bear witness to our spirit, or how it searches the secrete things of God; all of which is in the bible and understanding these one will see that the Spirit is not another God person.

Here are a few texts from the bible  with the one you alluded to highlighted. All these texts speaks about the Personhood of the Holy spirit 

Rom. 8:11, "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you."

John 6:63, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life."

1 John 5:6, "And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth."

See also 1 Cor. 2:12; 2 Tim. 1:14;

John 14:26, "These things I have spoken to you, while abiding with you. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."

Rom. 8:16, "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

Rom. 8:26, "And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;"

Eph. 4:30, "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

Rom. 8:27, "and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

Acts 8:29, "And the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot."

Acts 13:2, "And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

Acts 21:11, "And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "This is what the Holy Spirit says: ‘In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’"

Acts 28:25-26, "And when they did not agree with one another, they began leaving after Paul had spoken one parting word, "The Holy Spirit rightly spoke through Isaiah the prophet to your fathers, saying, ‘Go to this people and say, "You will keep on hearing, but will not understand."

1 Tim. 4:1, "But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,"

Heb. 3:7-8, "Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as when they provoked Me, as in the day of trial in the wilderness,"

Rev. 2:7, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God."  See also Rev. 2:11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22.

Rev. 14:13, "And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’" "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them."

Rev. 22:17, "And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost."

Jason,

I would like to see some scriptures EGW expound upon and explain using bible text, do you have any?

The person of the Holy Spirit is that of God, because the Spirit is God. This is exactly what Romans. 8:11 is telling us.

"But if the Spirit (of Him) who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through (His Spirit) who indwells you."

The Spirit is the Spirit of Him.  God is a being which has form, yet God is Spirit, and God also has within Himself, an inner Spirit, possessing all the attributes of the one God.  This is how the Spirit knows the deep things of God; it is God’s Self.

1 Corinthians 2:11 For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him? So too, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

The Spirit of God is not external to God, it is not scanning God thoughts to understand them. God’s thoughts come from God’s Self just as yours, God uses His Own Spirit to act upon His thoughts. This is why we should not grieve the Spirit and the reason it is the unpardonable sin, because we grieve and sin against the very source of all authority and power; God.

God always act through His Spirit; it is the way He perform the purpose of His Will in our human world.  The Spirit is the formless manifestation of the one God, acting upon His Will. So, God’ person is etched upon the Spirit because the Spirit is God.

The bible explains is every respect the texts you provided and none of which suggest that the Spirit is a person, at least not another third God person.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service