Adventist Online

I was doing a study to write a outline of the foundational pillars of Adventism. Everyone seems to have a personal view of what they entail but limited support for it. What SOP or writings in church periodicals has everyone on this important issue as I have the following pillars.....

The investigative judgment
The sanctuary service
The perpetuity of the Law of God
The faith of Jesus
The Three Angels' Messages
The seventh-day Sabbath
The state of the dead
The special gift of prophecy (or the Testimony of Jesus).

Views: 1414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peace

James wrote: "Correct Leslie Ann!
Nowhere in scriptures did anyone do anything in these three names. I don't think the whole first-century body of Christ disobeyed by not using these three 'names' as used in Matthew 28:19!
Everything in the New Testament was done in the name of Jesus Christ or Christ Jesus. Period. "

First, you say nowhere in scripture did anyone do anything in these Three names, but it says baptize in the Name of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.


You know the Father and Son's Name don't you?

You believe they are two persons don't you?

If so, then just apply that thinking to the Holy Spirit. He is a person and He has a Name as well.

Matt. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:


James wrote: "Trinitarian doctrine without foundation, as it crept into the church gradually; 325 AD Jesus declared to be God (2 gods) and in 381 AD the holy spirit declared to be God (3 gods). See the history of Catholic Councils in Wikipedia or any good history book on the subject."


I don't know all of what the trinitarian doctrine entails... I just know about the GODHEAD. Nowhere in the Bible or SOP does it use the word trinitarian/trinity. 


What is your understanding of the GODHEAD?

 

 Everybody who to seems to have a problem with SDA teaching on the GODHEAD can't answer this simple question.

 What is done is a constant usage of the word trinity or trinitarian, which is certainly a hot button word, but again, it's a word not even used in the Bible or the writings of EGW. From what JohnB wrote, apparently there is a definition to the word trinitarian/trinity that is defined by the RCC that is not the same as the definition of The GODHEAD. What that is I don't know.

 JohnB wrote: "So, when she refers to the Holy Spirit as the third Person of the Godhead she is giving a trinitarian [GODHEAD] statement. You appear to be using a different definition, possibly the Roman Catholic Church's definition, but is that really fair? " (brackets are mine) 

  So brother Dan, Rush, M.E, Gene, James etc..., and sister Leslie Ann hasn't shown anything that shows the SDA teaching in regards to the GODHEAD to be wrong.

 Like I said years ago, the beef with y'all is the usage of the word trinitarian or trinity. Again, like JohnB said, the RCC definition of the word trinitarian or trinity could be different than the definition the Bible gives of The GODHEAD.  There is no need to use the word trinitarian or trinity when it's not used in the The Bible or in the writings of EGW. So, if trinitarian/trinity continues to be used it's just a smoke screen to the clear facts of what Biblical SDA teachings really teach. 

Blessings! 

 

Reasoning:

You obviously didn't read the document I included at the bottom of my last post that you are responding to.

It is simple, The Creator is God, there is only one God.

Jesus Christ is The Son of God, the only begotten. Jesus Christ is subordinate to The Father God. That is why Jesus said he could do nothing unless the Father has directed him (by written Word and walking by the spirit with seven manifestations of holy spirit available at that time. Later speaking in tongues and its interpretation was added at and after the Day of Pentecost.

The holy spirit is the gift of God; (lower case to denote the gift of God, as the Father is sometimes referred to as the Holy Spirit (Upper case should be used to distinguish from the gift of God holy spirit. Context denotes whether it is The Father or the gift of God that is being referred to in the text. In Original scriptures, everything was capitalized.

Great authority has been given to the Son of God because of his obedience, but he is still subservient to the Father God, the only God, as there is none other. That is monotheism, which set the Hebrews apart from paganism with its multiple gods.

Indeed this comes from the great bible student who thinks the mark of the beast is a computer chip, clearly nothing to take any note of. 

 

James said, "The Creator is God, there is only one God."

Speaking of Jesus, the Apostle John writes, "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." (John 1:3)
and, "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not." (John 1:10)

If the Creator is God and Jesus created everything then Jesus must be God.

Peace 

Brother James, you are right, I didn't read the link... There are some things that you write that is true. 

What I know is that we are to baptize in the Name of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit... That's the GODHEAD. Your right, "it is simple"! 

 If you don't believe "He", the Holy Spirit is the Thrid person with the Father and the Son as the other Two, then we have to agree to disagree. Because if your going to get into the nature of the Holy Spirit to explain why "He" is not the Thrid Person of the GODHEAD, then it's an impossible discussion for me to have. Do you understand? 

Thank you my brother.  Blessings!  

Reasoning said,

So brother Dan, Rush, M.E, Gene, James etc..., and sister Leslie Ann hasn't shown anything that shows the SDA teaching in regards to the GODHEAD to be wrong.

The teaching that there are three living persons of the heavenly trio does not bear out as it relates to the biblical fact, and this has been shown. Only God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ has been shown to be persons of the Godhead.  The Holy Spirit is as what the bible says; the Spirit of God. Because you fail to embrace and understand the nature of the Spirit of God in that it is the active power and authority of God’s very presence, and by not understanding this you have excepted a false identity of the Holy Spirit and of the Godhead.  The SOP has injected the Third Person identity to the Holy Spirit for example taken from the post.

….the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest the power of divine grace to all who receive and believe in Christ as a personal Saviour. There are three living persons of the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit—those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ.—Special Testimonies,

I agree, the Spirit itself is the manifested power of God; it is the formless manifestation of God own presence, but then she interjects by saying, “there are three living persons of the heavenly trio”, something the bible does not share. Let’s be honest with the bible and ourselves, it’s ok the recognize error and correct it.

The one who is in error is the one who can not accept there is a third person in the Godhead. 

Peace 

Brother Gene, once again, we have to agree to disagree... You recognize it to be error, but SDA don't see it your way, EGW writings, that we believe is inspired by GOD, explains it clear for us. 

 Gene wrote: "The teaching that there are three living persons of the heavenly trio does not bear out as it relates to the biblical fact, and this has been shown. Only God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ has been shown to be persons of the Godhead."

  

 The Bible tells us to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit... Not just the Father and the Son. The Father has a name, the Son has a name, and the Holy Spirit has a name. So there a Three Persons of the GODHEAD. 

Gene wrote: "The Holy Spirit is as what the bible says; the Spirit of God. Because you fail to embrace and understand the nature of the Spirit of God in that it is the active power and authority of God’s very presence, and by not understanding this you have excepted a false identity of the Holy Spirit and of the Godhead."

 Lol.. Bro, it's impossible that a fail to embrace and understand the nature of the Holy Spirit, because I haven't even attempted to embrace and understand the nature of the Holy Spirit. That's you bro.

 The SDA teaching is that we don't even entertain the thought. Understanding that "He", the Holy Spirit is a person is fine. You believe the Holy Spirit is a person, it's just that you don't believe "He" is the thrid person of the GODHEAD... You believe it's just Two (Father and Son) and not Three. 

Gene wrote: "The SOP has injected the Third Person identity to the Holy Spirit for example taken from the post."

 

 Whats being injected by you is the nature of the Holy Spirit, you seem to have knowledge of this, but again and again and again.... we are told not to get into these discussions. 

 Again, we agree that the Holy Spirit is a Person.

 Ok, you don't believe "He" is the Thrid Person of the GODHEAD... and your reason why He is not is base on trying to understand His nature. We will have to agree to disagree, because I can't entertain trying to understand the nature of the Holy Spirit. You understanding what I'm saying to you? 

 Blessings! 

 

  

The Holy Spirit is referred to as "the Comforter" (e.g. John 14:26) and Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "He". The word translated as "comforter" is parakletos and is a word that can only refer to a person, not an object or impersonal power. Other signs of His personality are the fact that He can be grieved, He distributes the gifts of the Spirit as He sees fit, He testifies of the Father, He witnesses, He guides, He prophecies, etc. 

The problem seems to be that you are only taking one part of the Word and ignoring the rest - which explains why you regularly contradict yourself in your posts. AFAICS you are the one with the problem here because you have trouble not only reconciling what the Bible says but also what you think and believe.

Most of what you claim has already been dealt with in other threads so you are just demanding that other respondents repeat the same thing over and over again in multiple threads because of your refusal to come to terms with the Biblical viewpoint.

Can you find any instance when the word parakletos is used for a power rather than a person? No. The very name "Comforter" demonstrates that the Holy Spirit is as much a Person as the Father and the Son.

JohnB said, “Can you find any instance when the word parakletos is used for a power rather than a person?”

Even though I believe the Holy Spirit is more than just power, Jesus does refer to as power from on high.  You are correctly, but from my studies on this subject, I do know that in Greek both masculine and neuter words are used in relating to the Holy Spirit.

The word parakletos is translated correctly, it’s a masculine word. But this doesn’t mean that the Holy Spirit is a he or him or that it is a third person of the Godhead.

The doctrine of the Trinity, was established 321 AD and was in place for more than 1,000 years before the King James bible. It should be important to you to study if an open mind.

“Why Is the Holy Spirit Called 'He' and 'Him'?”

The masculine gender of parakletos, and those pronouns are technically correct in Greek, albeit misleading when translated word for word into English. But the supposition that the Holy Spirit is a person to be referred to as “he” or “him” is incorrect.

The word pneuma, usually translated “spirit” but sometimes “wind” and “breath,” is a grammatically neuter word and in Greek is referred to by such neuter terms as “it,” “its” or “itself.”

The translators of the KJV version almost always changed the pronouns when referring to the Holy Spirit ( pneuma ) to “he,” “his” and “himself” from the original Greek pronouns “it,” “its” and “itself”

In a few passages the King James Version handles these pronouns as they should have been translated. Romans 8:16, for example, reads: “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.” Some other places in the KJV where pneuma is correctly referred to by the neuter terms “it” or “which” are Matthew 10:20; Luke 8:29; 9:39; John 1:32 and 1 Peter 1:11.

Later English translations of the Bible generally followed the lead of the King James Version in referring to the Holy Spirit as masculine rather than neuter. Thus the Holy Spirit is almost always referred to as “he” or “him” in modern versions. This reflects not linguistic accuracy but the use of gender in the Greek language and the doctrinal bias of Bible translators.

Also, that are many impersonal attributes of the Holy Spirit as well. And in contrast to God the Father and Jesus Christ, who are consistently compared to human beings in Their form and shape, the Holy Spirit is consistently represented, by various symbols and manifestations, in a completely different manner—such as breath

Peace 

 

  Brother Gene, I'll let brother JohnB answer you, I just wanted to point out that I was correct about your beliefs and who your associated with...  I didn't see the last paragraph, but this is a WWCOG article from Scott Ashely from the Beyond Today part of the fragmented group.

 So you grew up a SDA but soaked up some of their false teachings and are here to enlighten us? 

  it's amazing, you criticize SDA for accepting EGW and her writings as being inspired , and all along you follow Herbert Armstrong and his teachings. I'm surprised I haven't seen you write in regards of the 3 days and 3 nights, that's usually one of the subjects WWCOG folks like challenge SDA teaching on. 

Bless!   

Yes, JohnB is a big boy. I'm sure he can speak to this.

RSS

Site Sponsors

 

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free


USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

 

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service