Adventist Online

I was doing a study to write a outline of the foundational pillars of Adventism. Everyone seems to have a personal view of what they entail but limited support for it. What SOP or writings in church periodicals has everyone on this important issue as I have the following pillars.....

The investigative judgment
The sanctuary service
The perpetuity of the Law of God
The faith of Jesus
The Three Angels' Messages
The seventh-day Sabbath
The state of the dead
The special gift of prophecy (or the Testimony of Jesus).

Views: 1579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reasoning you would not see God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in the scriptures.

Peace 

Hi sister Leslie Ann, ok, I take it that you believe saying that is wrong.. I respect that. Before we reason why I think it's ok to say that, first, what is your understanding of the GODHEAD from the Bible?

I believe you told me you believe the writings of EGW to be inspired by GOD, and you accept it... Now, I'm sure you've seen the many statements posted by many here AO from EGW, so I won't bother wasting your time posting what she wrote in regards to GODHEAD. I'll just ask you, do you accept what she wrote in regards to the GODHEAD? 

Thank you for your time. Blessings! 

Correct Leslie Ann!

Nowhere in scriptures did anyone do anything in these three names. I don't think the whole first-century body of Christ disobeyed by not using these three 'names' as used in Matthew 28:19!

Everything in the New Testament was done in the name of Jesus Christ or Christ Jesus. Period. 

Trinitarian doctrine without foundation, as it crept into the church gradually; 325 AD Jesus declared to be God (2 gods) and in 381 AD the holy spirit declared to be God (3 gods). See the history of Catholic Councils in Wikipedia or any good history book on the subject.

Attachments:

Matt.28:19 does not refer to three names, is says, "in the name", not names. Nowhere in the canons of Nicaea does it refer to "2 gods".

If you actually were to consult good history books you would know that the argument was about defining the substance of the Father and the Son not about whether Christ was God.

Eusebius Pamphilius, who attended the Council, wrote in his Church History that it affirmed what he and the Church had always believed, that is: three persons of the Godhead. The divinity of Christ was never in dispute in the early church, the question that was being addressed was initially modalism and then the Arian heresy became the subject of discussion. It was always understood that Christ was God, the question was whether they were both of the same substance or not. Likewise, there  was even less of an issue in regard to the Holy Spirit - which is why He is relegated to almost an afterthought in the Nicean Creed. Never, at any time, were any pronouncements made in regard to there being two or three gods - that is an invention and has no supporting evidence from history.

This is fake history, same as the claim that the SDAs had an anti-trinitarian pillar. No-one can produce any evidence at all to support either claim. It is false history that has been repeated so many times that people think it is true because they swallow what others say without doing their own investigation into the subject. Just because someone says it on the internet does not make it so.

John 20:28 "Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God."

Jesus is Lord and of the Godhead, the epistles points this out very clearly and never mention three persons, but only acknowledge the two persons of the Godhead.  We don’t have to go through all of the epistles, Paul addresses each the same way.

Romans1:7

To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. 8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers…

2 Corinthians 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia: 2Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 3Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4Who comforteth us in all our tribulation….

Colossians 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother, 2To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints…

2 Thessalonians 1

1Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: 2Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ…

Paul in Galatians 1:12 said,

11 But I notify you my brethren, that The Gospel that was preached by me was not from a human; 12For I neither received nor learned it from a man, but by the revelation of Yeshua The Messiah.

If the Holy Spirit was a third person of the Godhead, why would Paul not acknowledge it as such having received revelation from Jesus?

hey you forgot this one:

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14 

No, but I understand that the grace of the Lord and the love of God allows us the have fellowship with the Godhead through the Spirit. Fellowship with the Spirit is fellowship with the two God persons of the Godhead as Jesus stated in John 14:23

Yeshua answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me keeps my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and we will make our lodging with him.”

Yes, Gene, you are twisting the plain understanding of the Word of God, 

2Pe 3:16  as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.  

sorry I should have highlighted the conjunction 'and' and should have define it but I will post another text from Revelation. 

John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

So, you're saying that grace and peace is coming only from the Father and Son, notwithstanding what the scripture says? 

Wrong, Christ was never considered God in the First Century church and that idea would be totally alien to both the Hebrews and to Jesus himself. Jesus proclaimed that the Shema was the greatest commandment: 

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: Deut. 6:4 was his answer to the question 

In Hebrew the word hear is shema. Consequently, the Jews call Deuteronomy 6:4–5 the Shema. When asked which was the greatest commandment in all the law, Jesus quoted the Shema(see Matthew 22:36–38). President Ezra Taft Benson explained why it must be first: “When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1988, 3; or Ensign, May 1988, 4).

Yes, the great Bible student has shown why he thinks the Mark of the beast is a computer chip. Stale thinking is retarding progress. The Jews could not accept that Jesus was equal to God as the Bible points out and Jesus also declared the Holy Spirit part of the Godhead. 

JohnB quoted the Bible, "Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God." (John 20:28)

To which James replied, "Wrong, Christ was never considered God in the First Century church..."

Of course, Thomas, the Apostle, was a member of the "First Century Church" and Thomas declared that Jesus is God. When you have to deny what the Bible says to support your erroneous theory surely you must realise that you are on shaky ground?

In regard to the Shema: why does the Shema use the plural word for God?

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God (Elohim: plural) is one (Ehad: compound unity) LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God (Elohim: plural) with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." (Deut. 6:4-5)

The Hebrew text very clearly demonstrates the Oneness of God as a compound unity, so even within the Shema the plurality of God is clearly expressed. Once again you are denying what the Bible states. E. W. Bullinger, whom I know you hold in high regard, explains it the same way. Perhaps you should read his Bible commentary to understand this point correctly?

Other quotes from the early church have been given in previous threads on the subject of the trinity and can easily be referred to there. As this thread is on the Pillars of Adventism I suggest that you post in the relevant thread rather than expecting everyone to repost everything from the other threads into this thread.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service