Adventist Online

I was doing a study to write a outline of the foundational pillars of Adventism. Everyone seems to have a personal view of what they entail but limited support for it. What SOP or writings in church periodicals has everyone on this important issue as I have the following pillars.....

The investigative judgment
The sanctuary service
The perpetuity of the Law of God
The faith of Jesus
The Three Angels' Messages
The seventh-day Sabbath
The state of the dead
The special gift of prophecy (or the Testimony of Jesus).

Views: 1563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are not understanding the original SDA position that I hold. But rather than debating over it with you I will direct you to this page that explains that "heavenly trio" quote.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what position you personally hold. If you are able to give sources for a list of the pillars that would be helpful.

One of the problems in Seventh-day Adventism today is that people claim to "believe what the pioneers believed" without being able to define exactly what that means, or to which period they refer back.

For you I would say the same thing, what do you mean by "the original SDA position"? Can you define it, locate it in time, or is it a vague idea that sets you apart but cannot be defined? Either way it is meaningless. This thread is not about what you or I happen to believe but it is an attempt to define what is meant by "the pillars of our faith" and defining what those "pillars" actually were as far as the SDA church is concerned. For this we need to see evidence of what was being taught at the time the SDAC became a separate denomination. However, many doctrinal teachings were progressive and changed over the lifetime of Ellen White. So, better we stick with what is proven rather than vague claims, statements or allegations.

Btw: no page is there to refer to. However, it is always better to explain it yourself. I find that if someone cannot succinctly and clearly explain their position in a short sentence or two, they probably don't understand that position or why they hold it.

It is an interesting proposition but sadly we don't seem to find the pillars of the faith defined until late in Adventist history. In 1853, prior to the formation of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, James White was in discussion with the Seventh-day Baptists and stated, “We are united in these great subjects: Christ's immediate, personal second Advent, and the observance of all of the commandments of God, and the faith of his Son Jesus Christ, as necessary to a readiness for his Advent. With Seventh-day Baptists, we agree in the institution, design and perpetuity of the Sabbath.” A year later (1854) the Review and Herald printed for several months a list of what was referred to as “Leading Doctrines Taught by the Review”. These were:
The Bible, and the Bible alone, the rule of faith and duty. The Law of God, as taught in the Old and New Testaments, unchangeable. The Personal Advent of Christ and the Resurrection of the Just, before the Millennium. The Earth restored to its Eden perfection and glory, the final Inheritance of the Saints. Immortality alone through Christ, to be given to the Saints at the Resurrection.”

In the 1860s the Church was under what Ellen White described as "the banner of the thrid angel" which "has enscribed upon it The Commandments of God and the faith of Jesus."

In Review and Herald of 13th October 1874 Uriah Smith refers to the great pillars of our faith as being: the doctrine of the personal, soon coming of Christ and; the observance of the seventh day as the Sabbath. However, a year later D.M. Canright refers to "the great pillars of our faith" as being, "the signs of the times, the messages, the Sabbath, &c". (Review & Herald 21st October 1875)

J. N. Andrews is described as one who "turned the powers of his logical mind to the investigation of the pillars of our faith, and brought out works on the Sabbath, the Sanctuary, the Judgment, etc., which, so far as at present appears, leave nothing to be developed on these points." (Bible Echo and Signs of the Times 15th October 1890), so his books would be of some use in determining the subjects.
However, in 1905 F.A. Allum gave a report of a baptism in Bathurst, Australia, in which he wrote, Great care has been taken to baptise only those who are in harmony with all the "pillars of our faith." (Union Conference Record [Australasian]1st January 1905) This would infer that the confession of faith in use by SDAs at least incorporated the "pillars". In the 1st February 1904 edition of that periodical the pamphlet Outline Studies in Bible Doctrines (161 lessons) was recommended in the following way, As a people we need to know the pillars of our faith, and this can only be realised by an earnest study of God's Word. This little booklet will assist you. In September 1909 (same periodical) there is a report of a baptism in which the candidates declared that they were in perfect harmony with "the ten pillars of our faith".

SDA evangelists were preaching the pillars of our faith at this time and specific reference is made to the health reform and the sabbath however, by 1916 the Australasian Record reports that there are "twelve pillars of our faith". Also, in the Review an Herald of 9th October 1913 there is a list of 15, what are described as, "cardinal features of the faith" beginning with "the Trinity" and ending with "the fires of the last day".

It may be an idea to approach the various statements of belief and baptismal vows that were put out by the SDA Church as that would be a good way of understanding the main points of belief. If we ignore William Millers statement of beliefs then the first such statement would be that presented by Uriah Smith in 1872 which was referred to as "A Declaration of the Fundamental Principles Taught and Practised by SDA" and of which there were 25 in number. Then in 1874 James White wrote of 28 Fundamental Principles - an increase of 3 principles but that does put us at variance with the "10", "12" or "15" pillars of later years.

G.A. Unwin gives a list of 10 "pillars of the faith" in Review and Herald 25th May 1905 and enumerates them as follows:

“1. The commandments of God;

2. Righteousness by faith;

3. Life only in Christ;

4. The sleep of the dead;

5. The sanctuary;

6. The three messages;

7. The second advent;

8. The spirit of prophecy;

9. Health reform;

10. Systematic giving.”

None of these pillars were in relation to the nature of God but then in 1913 Wilcox’s statement is printed which gives a definition of the Seventh-day Adventist concept of the Godhead.

I have looked at this in the context of the church having the Spirit of Prophecy active during the time that these statements were made (excepting the 1916 Australasian Record statement). The assumption being that if the "principles" were not correct they would have been corrected by EGW at some point.

Hope this helps.

You should also look up where Sister White speaks of the "pillars" and "landmarks."

As far as I can see, sis. White does not enumerate the pillars or give any definitive list. If you know where she does, please give a reference.

The Holy Spirit the third Person of the Godhead. One pillar you did not mention. 

Fundamental Beliefs, 5 - God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ's life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth.

The Bible reveals that the Holy Spirit is a person, not an impersonal force. Statements such as "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us" (Acts 15:28) reveal that the early believers viewed Him as a person. Christ also spoke of Him as a person. Christ also spoke of Him as a distinct person. "'He will glorify Me.'" He said, "'for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you'" (John 16:14). Scriptures referring to the triune God describe the Spirit as a person (Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14).

The Holy Spirit has personality. He strives Gen 6:3  And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh" , teaches, Luk 12:12  For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." He convicts, Joh 16:8  And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgement  directs church affairs, Act 13:2  As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 

Helps and intercedes, Rom. 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. He inspires, 2Pe 1:21  for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. And sanctifies 1Pe 1:2  according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.  These activities cannot be performed by a mere power, influence, or attribute of God. Only a person can do them.

Scripture views the Holy Spirit as God. Peter told Ananias that, ….

in lying to the Holy Spirit, He had lied not "'to men but to God'" (Acts 5:3, 4). Jesus defined the unpardonable sin as "'blasphemy against the Spirit, '" saying, "'Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come'" (Matt. 12:31, 32). This could be true only if the Holy Spirit is God.

Scripture associates divine attributes with the Holy Spirit. He is life. Paul referred to Him as the "Spirit of life" (Rom. 8:2). He is truth. Christ called Him the "'Spirit of truth'" (John 16:13). The expressions "love of the Spirit" (Rom. 15:30) and "the Holy Spirit of God" (Eph. 4:30) reveal that love and holiness are part of His nature.

The Holy Spirit is omnipotent. He distributes spiritual gifts "to each one individually as He wills" (1 Cor. 12:11). He is omnipresent. He will "'abide'" with His people "'forever'" (John 14:16). None can escape His influence (Ps. 139:7-10). He also is omniscient, because "the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God" and "no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God" (1 Cor. 2:10, 11).

The works of God are also associated with the Holy Spirit. Creation and resurrection both involve Him. Said Elihu, "'The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life'" (Job 33:4). And the psalmist said, "You send forth Your Spirit, they are created" (Ps. 104:30). Paul claimed, "He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you" (Rom. 8:11).

The Holy Spirit is considered equal with the Father and the Son in the baptismal formula, Mat 28:19  Therefore go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  The apostolic blessing, 2Co 13:14  May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen. And the spiritual-gifts discourse as we see in 1Co 12:4  But there are differences of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5  And there are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6  And there are differences of workings, but it is the same God working all things in all. 

The Holy Spirit was actively involved in Christ's birth (Luke 1:35), confirmed His public ministry at baptism (Matt. 3:16, 17), ….

and brought the benefits of Christ's atoning sacrifice and resurrection to humanity Rom 8:11  But if the Spirit of the One who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, the One who raised up Christ from the dead shall also make your mortal bodies alive by His Spirit who dwells in you. 

When the Father gave His Son to the world (John 3:16), He was conceived of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 1:18-20). The Holy Spirit came to complete the plan, to make it a reality.

The Holy Spirit's intimate involvement in creation is seen in His presence at Creation (Gen. 1:2). Life's origin and maintenance depends on His operation; His departure means death. Said the Bible, If God "'should gather to Himself His Spirit and His breath, all flesh would perish together, and man would return to dust'" (Job 34:14, 15). Job 33:4  The Spirit of God made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

We can see reflections of the Spirit's creative work in His re-creative work within each person who is open to God. God carries out His work within individuals through the Spirit. So in incarnation, creation, and re-creation, the Spirit comes to bring God's intention to fulfillment.

We were intended to be dwelling places of the Holy Spirit 1Co 3:16  Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? Adam and Eve's sin separated them from both the Garden and the indwelling Spirit. That separation continues—the enormity of wickedness before the Flood led God to declare, "'My Spirit shall not strive with man forever'" (Gen. 6:3).

In Old Testament times the Spirit equipped certain individuals to perform special tasks Num 24:2  Where the Spirit of God came upon Balaam.  Judges 6:34 Where the spirit of God came to Gideon, and he blew a ram's horn. 1 Sam. 10:6 Samuel saying to Saul Then the Spirit of the LORD will come upon you, and you will prophesy.

At times the Holy Spirit is "in" persons Exo 31:2  "See, says the Lord I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri. I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding in all manner of workmanship.

Isa. 63:11. Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea With the shepherd of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit within them, 

Undoubtedly genuine believers have always had an awareness of His presence, but prophecy predicted a pouring out of the Spirit "'on all flesh'" (Joel 2:28)—a time when a greater manifestation of the Spirit would usher in a new age.

Pointing to Christ's ministry as a Spirit ministry, John the Baptist said, "'I indeed baptize you with water'" but He "'will baptize you with the Holy Spirit'" (Matt. 3:11). But the Gospels do not reveal Jesus baptizing with the Holy Spirit. Just hours before His death, Jesus promised His disciples, "'I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of truth'" (John 14:16, 17). Was the promised baptism of the Spirit received at the cross? No dove appeared on crucifixion Friday—only darkness and bolts of lightning.

Not until after His resurrection did Jesus breathe the Spirit on His disciples (John 20:22). He said, "'Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high'" (Luke 24:49). This power would be received "'when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, '" making believers His witnesses to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). John wrote, "'The Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified'" (John 7:39). The Father's acceptance of Christ's sacrifice was the pre-requisite for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

The new age broke in only when our victorious Lord was seated on heaven's throne. Only then could He send the Holy Spirit in His fullness. After "'being exalted to the right hand of God, '" Peter said, He "'poured out'" the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33) upon His disciples, who, anxiously anticipating this event, had gathered "with one accord in prayer and supplication" (Acts 1:5, 14).

At Pentecost, fifty days after Calvary, the new age burst forth with all the power of the Spirit's presence. "And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they [the disciples] were sitting. . . . And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:2-4).

The missions of both Jesus and the Holy Spirit were totally interdependent. The fullness of the Holy Spirit could not be given until Jesus had completed His mission. And Jesus, in turn, was conceived of the Spirit (Matt. 1:8-21), baptized by the Spirit (Mark 1:9, 10), led by the Spirit (Luke 4:1), performed His miracles through the Spirit (Matt. 12:24-32), offered Himself at Calvary through the Spirit (Heb. 9:14, 15) and was, in part, resurrected by the Spirit (Rom. 8:11).

The evening before Christ's death His words about His impending departure greatly troubled His disciples. He immediately assured them that they would receive the Holy Spirit as His personal representative. They would not be left as orphans (John 14:18).

The New Testament reveals the Holy Spirit in a unique way. He is called the "Spirit of Jesus" (Acts 16:7, NIV), "Spirit of His Son" (Gal. 4:6), "Spirit of God" (Rom. 8:9), the "Spirit of Christ" (Rom. 8:9; 1 Peter 1:11), and the "Spirit of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:19). Who originated the Holy Spirit's mission—Jesus Christ or God the Father?

When Christ revealed the origin of the Holy Spirit's mission to a lost world, He mentioned two sources. First, He referred to the Father: "'I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper'" (John 14:16;). The baptism with the Holy Spirit He called "the Promise of the Father" (Acts 1:4). Second, Christ referred to Himself: "'I will send Him [meaning the Spirit] to you'" (John 16:7). Thus the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son.

We can acknowledge Christ's Lordship only through the influence of the Holy Spirit. Said Paul, "No one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit" (1 Cor. 12:3). We are given the assurance that, through the Holy Spirit, Christ, "the true Light," illuminates "every man who comes into the world" (John 1:9). His mission is to "'convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment'" (John 16:8).

The Holy Spirit brings to us a deep conviction of sin, especially the sin of not accepting Christ (John 16:9). The Spirit urges all to accept the righteousness of Christ. The Spirit warns us of judgment, a powerful tool in stirring up sin-darkened minds to the need of repentance and conversion.

When we have repented we can be born again through the baptism of water and the Holy Spirit (John 3:5). Then ours is a new life, for we have become the dwelling place of the Spirit of Christ.

The Holy Spirit assist Humanity in following ways.

His Mission for Believers. The majority of texts concerning the Holy Spirit pertain to His relationship with God's people. His sanctifying influence leads to obedience (1 Peter 1:2), but no one continues to experience His abiding presence without meeting certain conditions. Peter said God has given the Spirit to those who continuously obey Him (Acts 5:32).

Thus, believers are warned about resisting, grieving, and quenching the Spirit Acts 7:51;   “You stubborn people! You are heathen at heart and deaf to the truth. Must you forever resist the Holy Spirit? That’s what your ancestors did, and so do you! Stephen speaking just before being stoned.

Eph. 4:30;  And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption. 

1 Thess. 5:19). Do not quench the Spirit. 

The Holy Spirit assists believers. When introducing the Holy Spirit, Christ called Him "'another Parakletos'" meaning advocate or helper. In Christianity, the term "paraclete" refers to the Holy Spirit. (John 14:16). This Greek word has been translated as "Helper" (NKJV), "Comforter" (KJV), "Counselor" (RSV), and can mean also "Intercessor," "Mediator," or "Advocate."

The only other Parakletos mentioned in Scripture is Christ Himself. He is our Advocate or Intercessor before the Father. "My little children, these things I write to you, that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" (1 John 2:1). As Intercessor, Mediator, and Helper, Christ presents us to God and reveals God to us.

Similarly, the Spirit guides us to Christ and manifests Christ's grace to us. This explains why the Spirit is called the "Spirit of grace" (Heb. 10:29).

One of His greatest contributions is the application of Christ's redeeming grace to people 1 Cor. 15:10; But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me—and not without results. For I have worked harder than any of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace. 

2 Cor. 9:14; And they will pray for you with deep affection because of the overflowing grace God has given to you. 

James 4:5, 6). 5 Do you think the Scriptures have no meaning? They say that God is passionate that the spirit he has placed within us should be faithful to him. 6  And he gives grace generously. As the Scriptures say, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 

He brings the truth of Christ. Christ called the Holy Spirit the "'Spirit of truth'" John 15:26; “But I will send you the Advocate—the Spirit of truth. He will come to you from the Father and will testify all about me.  John 16:13. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. 

His functions include bringing "'to your remembrance all things that I said to you'" (John 14:26) and guiding "'you into all truth'" (John 16:13). His message testifies to Jesus Christ (John 15:26). "'He will not speak on His own authority, '" Christ said, "'but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you'" (John 16:13, 14).

He brings the presence of Christ. Not only does He bring the message about Christ, He brings the very presence of Christ. Jesus said, "'It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper [The Holy Spirit, John 14:16, 17] will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you'" (John 16:7).

He guides the operation of the church. Since the Holy Spirit brings the very presence of Christ, He is the true Vicar of Christ on earth. As the abiding center of authority in matters of faith and doctrine the ways in which He leads the church accord fully with the Bible.

"The distinctive feature of Protestantism—without which there would be no Protestantism—is that the Holy Spirit is the true vicar or successor of Christ on earth.

To depend on organization, or leaders, or wisdom of men, is to put the human in place of the divine." The Holy Spirit was intimately involved in administrating the apostolic church. This is why we read in Daniel 7:8  As I was looking at the horns, suddenly another small horn appeared among them. Three of the first horns were torn out by the roots to make room for it. This little horn had eyes like a mans eyes and a mouth that was boasting arrogantly. Eyes of a man is not eyes of the Spirit. I understand by this the Roman Catholic Church have forsaken the guidance of the Spirit and are leaning on Human wisdom instead.

In selecting missionaries the church obtained guidance through prayer and fasting (Acts 13:1-4). 1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2  As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3  Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away. 4  So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.  The individuals selected were known for their openness to the Spirit's leading. The book of Acts describes them as “filled with the Holy Spirit". Their activities were under His control Paul reminded church elders that they had been put into their position by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit equips the church with special gifts. The Holy Spirit has bestowed special gifts on God's people. In Old Testament times "the Spirit of the Lord" came "upon" individuals, giving them extraordinary powers to lead and deliver Israel and Give the ability to prophesy. The Spirit came upon Saul and David when they were anointed as rulers of God's people.

To some people, the infilling of the Spirit brought unique artistic skills. In the early church, as well, it was through the Holy Spirit that Christ bestowed His gifts on the church. The Spirit distributed these spiritual gifts to believers as He saw fit, thus benefiting the whole church. He provided the special power necessary for proclaiming the gospel to the ends of the earth.

He fills the heart of believers. Paul's query to the disciples at Ephesus, "'Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?'" (Acts 19:2), is a crucial question for every believer. When Paul received a negative reply he laid hands on those disciples, and they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:6). This incident indicates that the conviction of sin brought about by the Holy Spirit and the Spirit's infilling of the life are two different experiences.

Jesus pointed out the necessity of being born of water and of the Spirit. Just before His ascension He commanded new believers to be baptized "'in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit'". In harmony with this command Peter preached that "'the gift of the Holy Spirit'" is to be received at baptism.

And Paul confirms the importance of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The infilling of the Holy Spirit, transforming us into the image of God, continues the work of sanctification begun at the new birth. God has saved us according to His mercy "through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour".

The absence of the Spirit makes the gospel ministry powerless. Learning, talent, eloquence, every natural or acquired endowment may be possessed; but, without the presence of the Spirit of God, no heart will be touched, no sinner won to Christ. On the other hand, if they are connected with Christ, if the gifts of the Spirit are theirs, the poorest and most ignorant of His disciples will have a power that will influence hearts.

The Holy Spirit is vital. All of the changes Jesus Christ effects in us come through the ministry of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit directs our attention to the greatest gift of love God gave in His Son. He pleads that we would not resist His appeals, but accept the only way whereby we can be reconciled to our loving and gracious Father.

"books of a new order"...

OK Tell me what Text is wrong if you would be kind. 

Also this fundamental was voted and passed by a General Conference in Session where God is in charge by the Holy Spirit 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service