Adventist Online

Aren't you puzzled about this?

So often we hear from news commentators or politicians that the United States is a democracy. My question is, Is it a democracy or a republic?

I came across these interesting words

"The United States of America is not a democracy; and there is a big difference between the two. A pure democracy is based solely on the majority without any restrictions on what the majority can do. An excellent example of a democracy is a lynch mob. The majority wants to hang the person, and the minority, the person to be hanged, does not want to be hanged. They have a vote, and then hang the person. In a pure democracy, the minority is the victim of the majority.

In contrast, a Republic is founded on a set of laws that govern what the majority can and cannot do. The law on which the United States' Republic is founded is the Constitution. For instance, the Constitution says, "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exerice thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.--First Amendment to the Constitution.

If a law is proposed in Congress to set up a national religion, and everyone in Congress voted for it, it still cannot be done, because the Constitution prohibits this type of law. The Constitution says that the government is not permitted to pass any law concerning religion.

So the word "democracy" cannot be found in the Constitution or in the Declaration of Independence, or in any of the state's constitutions. Many of the founders of the United States tried to warn about the dangers of a pure democracy. " The Enemy Unmasked, by Bill Hughes, p.50,51.

What say you?

Would appreciate a reply.

sky

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So then, can you explain why the politicians and news reporters always refer to the US as a democracy?

sky
By your narrow definition, there is no democracy on earth. No country is ruled that way.

The founding fathers of the USA did not want a pure democracy. For good reason as your "lynch mob" example showed. They wanted a civilized country where citizens had genuine rights and freedoms and were not oppressed by the tyranny of the majority. The founding fathers also wanted a democratic country where the citizens could choose whoever they wanted to represent them. What they came up with was the amazing document known as the Constitution of the United States of America.

The Adventist Church is deeply involved with the protection of the rights of the minorities -- even those it strongly disagrees with -- through it's Religious Liberty efforts. But this doesn't make the Church is anti-democratic as your article would seem to suggest. No, it simply means that we recognize that there is a better form of government than pure democracy. Pure democracy ignores individual rights and liberties. That is no way to live.

The United States is a republic. It is not a pure democracy (since no country on earth is that). But it is democratic and many people call it a democracy. Our leaders and representatives are elected democratically by us. And if the majority does not like what they are doing, they will not remain in office. The citizens have the power at the ballot box to peacefully change all aspects of government. They can elect representatives that will amend the constitution if they so wish.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy. So although it has a parliamentary democracy element to it's governmental system (and thus many call it a democracy) the head of state is still the Queen. She cannot be removed by vote. The Governor General of Canada is appointed by the the Queen. The GG cannot be removed by vote. So without an open revolt, many aspects of Canadian government cannot be changed by the citizens. This is an even lesser degree of democracy than the USA.

OK, enough of the lesson in government. What was the point you were trying to make? That it shouldn't be called a democracy because it doesn't allow lynch mobs? I see that as a very good thing. Or is this the tip of the iceberg of another Catholic/Jesuit conspiracy theory from Bill Hughes? Do you really want to be putting much faith in Bill Hughes? I don't.

PS. Oh yeah... another thing: I'm Canadian.
My point is that the US is a Republic and that is what God intended it to be but why so many now call it a democracy?
Because governments where leaders and representative are democratically elected are commonly called democracies. Even Canada where the head of state (the Queen) is not elected at all.

But why the inflammatory Bill Hughes stuff if that was your question?
Clark!!! what are you talking about? I dont know Bill Hughes except two booklets I read from him. He is all for the Republic. What is inflammatory about saying that the US is a Republic and not a democracy?

sky
You quoted from a book that is pure anti-Catholic/Jesuit conspiracy theory. You have suggested in the past your fears of Jesuit infiltration of the Adventist church. So how is your quoting from a book filled with this rhetoric any different? It seems to be a way to start the conversation that leads to Jesuit fear mongering.

I'm not afraid of Jesuits... or a big fan of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
Yes. I was wondering what church he belonged to. Now I know. I figured it would eventually come out.
The US government is a Republic as God intended it to be but the time is coming when it will no longer be a Republic but a democracy. There is a vast difference between a democracy and a Republic such as the Republic of the US

John Adams, one of the founders of the United States wrote,

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Vol.6, Now Library Press, p.484.

If America had been established as a pure democracy, it would have long since ceased to exist.

There are forces within the US government that have been working to undermine the Constitution of the United States just as there are forces within the Seventh-day Adventist Church that have been working to undermine the pillars of our faith. Sadly they have succeeded to the point that our religion has been changed and a new organization has been established. The pen of inspiration has clearly told us that nothing would be allowed to stand in the way of this new movement. (see 1 S.M.204,205)

"The kings of the earth, and all the inhabitants of the world would not have believed that the adversary and the enemy could enter the gates of Jerusalem." Lamentations 4:12.

These same evil forces have been working to bring about a change in the US government from a Republic to a pure democracy. They have almost succeeded. It is just a matter of time before the US ( represented in Holy Writ as a Lamb with two horns, symbol of innocence) shall speak as a dragon when it shall become a full-fledged democracy and no longer a Republic. No true Seventh-day Adventist should have any difficulty understanding that the aim of the Vatican has been to destroy the Constitution of the US. Why? Simply because the Constitution of the Uinited States is the only remaining major obstacle in the way of the papacy from regaining her former glory, her temporal power. Once this last obstacle is out of the way, her wound will have been healed, and she will rule the world again but for a short time.

"For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way." 2 Thess.2:7.

The Roman Empire stood in the way of the papacy but when it fell the Papacy took over. The American Constitution is now the only obstacle remaining for the papacy to regain her temporal supremacy. When it is taken out of the way, she will take over again. In the meantime, through the Jesuits, she is slowly and silently working behind the scene to establish her former glory.

The two major obstacles to the papacy from regaining her former supremacy are Seventh-day Adventism and the Constitution of the Uinited States. The only obstacle remaining is the Constitution of the US.

But she will have to contend with an unknown force when the Lord shall finish His work and cut it short in righteousness through men and women of His own choosing

"Let me tell you that the Lord will work in this last work in a manner very much out of the common order of things, and in a way that will be contrary to any human planning." T.M.300.

sky

See The Great Controversy, pp.234,235.
This deserves a big ... OH YEAH. SURE .... And I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you if you believe any of this.
No Thanks. I prefer not to waste my time.
Amen sister. Amen

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by