Adventist Online

is watching tv on sabbath is a sin?..

Views: 1735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That game sounds interesting, I've not heard of it before.  I'm a big fan of Veggie Tales.

It's a good game and will keep the kids busy for over an hour easy.. We also have used the Pilgrims Progress game and another one called Exodus from Egypt. The boys really love the exodus one.

Where can I find these games?

I found them at Family Christian Books I think, but you should be able to find them on the net without a problem. If you do go to Family Christian books though wait till December,because every year they have a %25 off coupon that includes sale items... A few years in a row now gotten somewhere close to $100 worth of books and toys for around $50.

Ok, thank you for that info.  I've not heard of Family Christian Books.  I'll check them out tomorrow.

Jedd

The biblical definition of sin is:

"For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." Romans 14:23 (ESV)  

We know that this is the most accurate definition, because the solution for the sin problem is:

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,  [3] for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  [4] And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4 (ESV) 

When our faith/trust in God becomes a habit of trusting God, (steadfastness) then we are perfect, complete, lacking in nothing.  However, unless we trust God, we are sinning.  Oh, I know that most people will quote 1 John 3:4 as a definition of sin, but they only quote just a few words of the sentence.  Should we build a doctrine on half of a sentence?  Especially when the rest of the sentence compromises the concept that is presented?  we are told to:

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth."  2 Tim. 2:15 (ESV) 

Using half of a sentence is not "rightly handling the word of truth."  (For more on this subject of sin, visit my website: www.basicsoftheword.com.  Go to resources, then Basic Christianity, then the chapter on: "What is Sin?")

So, sin is in fact, the attitude of not trusting God.  Which can also be seen as not loving God.  What we do on Sabbath reflects our love for God.  If we want to watch a football game, or a movie, etc., it shows that our love for God is lacking.  On the other hand, as someone else noted, there are some good programs on 3ABN, if available.  One can even listen to that on your computer. 

So, what we watch or do on Sabbath is an indicator of what and who we love. 

What would happen if you were dating a girl and you invited her to your home to show her home movies of all your old girl friends?  Just how long would that courting last?

The Sabbath is a date with God.  What we do on the Sabbath shows just how much we love God.

Maranatha :)
Ray

My husband, Osing, has introduced me to 3ABN and HopeTV channels, which we watch, even and especially on Sabbaths, when there are no church activities or programs going on.  And I find it very spiritual and highly informative, for an Adventist.  How can there be any inconsistency with proper Sabbath keeping to watch Adventist TV programs, broadcasts on Adventist TV stations, during Sabbath hours?  MARANATHA!!!!
Oh, how I miss those days!  Before TV went digital, I had good 3ABN reception, but now, we don't have that.  It is not available on Cable (which we don't have anyway) and Hope Channel is only available on a dish system, which again we don't have and can't afford.  I'm so glad that you have those channels.  3ABN is a real blessing.
We just watch it on the net. Cable is a waste of money if you only find two channels and maybe one or two shows appropriate. %90 of the stuff on TV is an insult to the intelligence so we just have a large t.v. / computer monitor in our living room hooked up to a computer so we can just use netflix, and watch 3ABN, Hope Channel, ADTV, AFTV...etc.. for free on line. Not to mention it's $50 cheaper...

Hi JEDD

That will depend on the kind of program you are watching,is it suitable for you and the rest?,i watch English premier league matches on sabbath after church,nothing wrong with that,just as long as it does not make your conscience guilty of being led astray....than u...great post Jedd

Unless you are watching a documentary on the history of the Sabbath, the fall and characteristics of rome and the pushing of the sunday law and things like that to discuss during the Sabbath with fellow members thenyou should not be watching T.V.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service