Adventist Online

Should we as SDA's be wearing jewelry? Should we have on the wedding ring??? Isnt the wedding ring considered jewelry??? On the Day of Atonement the Lord called His people to change their garments and to take off ALL of their jewelry. We are in the anti-typical Day of Atonement and is not the same required of us??? We have plain and direct instructions from the Word of God and the Spirit of Prophecy regarding the wearing of rings and jewelry. The Lord says, "take it off"!

*Genesis 35:1-4---"And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.

2Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:

3And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.

4And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem."

...[God was calling His people back to the true worship of Him. Jacob, understanding the awesomeness of God and the call of God,instructed all of his family to take off ALL their jewelry. The Bible calls the jewelry "strange gods". "Be clean and change your garments" includes taking off worldly dress, fashion, and adornment. The people diligently obeyed by giving Jacob the jewelry/strange gods. Notice where the "strange god"s were located on their bodies. The "strange gods" were in their HANDS and in their EARS. When we wear jewelry on our hands (rings and wedding band) and on our ears (earrings) we are wearing STRANGE GODS before the one and only True God. We are told to "have no other gods/idols before" Him. The Bible says take the jewelry off.]

*Exodus 33:5---"For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee."

...[The Lord tells His people to take off ALL of their ornaments/jewelry so that He can save them. He gives us that same admonition today. He wants to bring us out of Egypt, which represents the world. That includes all worldly fashions and dress.]

*Isaiah 3:18-23---"In that day (the last days) the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

19The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

20The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

21The rings, and nose jewels,

22The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

23The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

...[The context here in Isaiah 3 is "in the last days", Isaiah 2:2. In the last days the Lord is trying to rid us of worldly apparel and worldly amusements. "Come out of Babylon my people". Isaiah's admonition is to take off ALL types of jewelry, including the wedding band.]

*1 Timothy 2:9-10---"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

...[Women (and men) should wear modest clothing with a humble attitude, not with fancy hairstyles with jewelry in your head, or with gold chains, links, rings, etc. And we should gaurd from wearing expensive clothing that receives worldly attraction and praise. The admonition here is to not wear "gold", or "pearls", or "costly array", that also includes the wearing of jewelry/wedding ring.]

*1 Peter 3:3-5---"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves..."

...[Our adorning should not be caught up in fancy hairstyles, the wearing of gold or jewelry, or of fancy clothing, but it should be of the clothing of the white robe of Christ's righteousness.]

The SOP says,

"Some have had a burden in regard to the wearing of a marriage ring, feeling that the wives of our ministers should conform to this custom. All this is unnecessary. Let the ministers' wives have the golden link which binds their souls to Jesus Christ, a pure and holy character, the true love and meekness and godliness that are the fruit borne upon the Christian tree, and their influence will be secure anywhere. The fact that a disregard of the custom occasions remark is no good reason for adopting it. Americans can make their position understood by plainly stating that the custom is not regarded as obligatory in our country. We need not wear the sign, for we are not untrue to our marriage vow, and the wearing of the ring would be no evidence that we were true. I feel deeply over this leavening process which seems to be going on among us, in the conformity to custom and fashion. Not one penny should be spent for a circlet of gold to testify that we are married. In countries where the custom is imperative, we have no burden to condemn those who have their marriage ring; let them wear it if they can do so conscientiously; but let not our missionaries feel that the wearing of the ring will increase their influence one jot or tittle. If they are Christians, it will be manifest in their Christlikeness of character, in their words, in their works, in the home, in association with others; it will be evinced by their patience and long-suffering and kindliness. They will manifest the spirit of the Master, they will possess His beauty of character, His loveliness of disposition, His sympathetic heart. {TM 180, 181}"

"Have not our sisters sufficient zeal and moral courage to place themselves without excuse upon the Bible platform? The apostle has given most explicit directions on this point: I will therefore . . . that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." Here the Lord, through His apostle, speaks expressly against the wearing of gold. Let those who have had experience see to it that they do not lead others astray on this point by their example. That ring encircling your finger may be very plain, but it is useless, and the wearing of it has a wrong influence upon others. {4T, 630}"

"Those who have bracelets, and wear gold and ornaments, had better take these idols from their persons and sell them, even if it should be for much less than they gave for them, and thus practice self-denial. Time is too short to adorn the body with gold or silver or costly apparel. {Manuscript Releases Volume Nine, Chapter Title: Ellen White on Jewelry page 117, paragraph 1}

"We warn our Christian sisters against the tendency to make their dresses according to worldly styles, thus attracting attention. The house of God is profaned by the dress of professedly Christian women of today. A fantastic dress, a display of gold chains and gaudy laces, is a certain indication of a weak head and a proud heart. {Selected Messages Book 3, Chapter Title: Dress and Adornment page 244, paragraph 1}"

"To dress plainly, and abstain from display of jewelry and ornaments of every kind is in keeping with our faith.’—{Testimonies,vol. 3, p. 366.}"

...Before sin entered the world, we see little, if any record of jewelry in the Bible. Even the original wedding ceremony in Genesis two has no ring for Eve. After the fall you see jewelry entering the world. The Egyptians had it and when God's people left Egypt they took some of it with them. But soon God made their wearing of it a test of their loyalty to Him. He wanted to see whether they would give evidence of their repentance and commanded them to remove it (Exodus 33:5). It is also true that in the Bible, earrings are associated with slavery (See Exodus 21 and Deuteronomy 15). But Christians are not be be in bondage or slavery to the world.

In the New Testament, passages concerning adornment such as 1 Peter 3:3-5 use the word kosmoeo or derivatives in speaking of adornment. We get the words "cosmetics" and "cosmos" from that word, whose root meaning comes out literally roughly as 'that which is of the world." In 1 Timothy 2:9-10 we find the counsel again, women are not to adorn themselves in gold or pearls or the like, but rather with good works.

In the book of Revelation, we find two women, each symbolizing a church. Revelation 12 shows a woman in white, a pure woman. Aside from a crown, she is unadorned, and the crown she wears is a stephanos, a crown of victory. She represents a pure church. In contrast to her is a harlot, found in Revelation 17 and 18. She is dressed in scarlet and purple and quite fully adorned with jewelry. She represents an apostate church that makes war on those whom Jesus died for.

There are two facets we are looking at: our internal situation and our external. Internally, we all have a fallen nature, a nature that wants to glorify self, wants to make us prominent. It is an unsafe nature to have. Unfortunately, the situation is universal. Everyone has it. Before they fell Adam and Eve did not have it, but after they did. Remember, what was the first thing that Adam and Eve did after they sinned, they ran, hid, and found some fig leaves to clothe themselves. Those fig leaves represented their own works. When we adorn ourselves, we are saying that we are not satisfied with our appearance as God made us. We are adding to the work of God. We are drawing attention to ourselves. The problem is pride.

Selfishness and self-glorying lead us to try to put ourselves above others, to differentiate ourselves in ways that show we have extra value, are more successful, more beautiful. We have an insecurity about who we are. We are in danger of putting our value in our physical appearance rather than in the fact that God loves us and sent His Son Jesus to die for us, and that our value must always be found first in Him. Is the human race becoming less fallen or more fallen? Our degeneration as a race will increase until the very end. In other words, we are becoming less and less safe, less and less well, more and more prone to evil than the generations that came before us. If jewelry wasn't safe for fallen humans thousands of years ago, today it is that much more dangerous.

Views: 6331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well a doctor stopped flirting with me and looking at me the wrong way when I wore my wedding band and when I didnt have it on he didnt think I took my marriage seriously. that is when I decided I would wear one. But that is only one of the reasons. God himself used THINGS symbolically, just as he did when moses was in the wilderness, it doesnt mean we are worshipping it as many did in biblical days because many of their gods were emblems in their jewelry, that is not the case today. and if you are worshipping your jewelry, like all idols, it should be put away.
I believe the divorces going on in our church should be of more concern than an object. Ultimatelt ring or no ring, GOd is going to take in regard the heart and soul than the ring. Doesnt add up for a faithful ring wearing man to lose his soul for and thing and a non ring wearing man be saved for the same faithfulness.

A direct quote from Ellen White says this "In countries where the custom is imperative, we have no burden to condemn those who have their marriage ring; let them wear it if they can do so conscientiously" 

I believe that while it was not always imperative, it has become so in recent years. With the rise of unmarried families, it is important not to be a stumbling block. If you choose not to wear one that is your conviction. I do not think that we should wear flashy rings, and we should not wear it as jewelry. It is an outward sign of our commitment to our spouse when we are apart. I do not think you need to wear one all the time, for instance at church where everyone knows you are married, and at home. But I have witnessed many instances where having a ring was imperative. At the end of the day you can find quotes from Ellen White that both support and discourage the wearing of a wedding ring and it isn't a matter of whether you believe her or not, it is a matter of how your circumstance fits with her instruction. She advised her daughter-in-law to wear one when traveling to avoid being a false witness and a stumbling block. 

Amen, 'nuff sed!

Somebody knows the real reason why ministers never talk with members about to wear rings? In my church there are a lot and worse:piercing/rings in the nose! Im talking about the ladies who teaches to kindergarten kids etc! Also they use bracelets, ear rings, hot food(spicy,peppery,piquant)!

Somebody told they are faithful in tithes! If not, the minister would complain, but about rings not! Even tough I desagree of this opinion, sometimes I think this is what happens in majority of the cases! 

Blessings,

hi, i think that they might not want to offend anyone,but if they are baptise members they would have taught the fundamental believes of the church,and if you notice that in mainly the white churches they would wear chains,before in the west indies this would not happen in the churches,those women should not be allowed to teach our children,be in the world bout not of the world,

I don't see the wedding ring as jewelry. Its a symbol of marriage. 

Salvation is not determined by wearing a wedding ring or not so it's a non issue for me. It's a matter of culture and stewardship.  It's not a doctrinal issue. I'm not going to condemn a person if they wear one or not.

http://biblicalresearch.gc.adventist.org/documents/weddingband.htm

This resource provides a balanced history on the issues surrounding the controversy of the wedding ring in the Adventist Church.

Thats the problem today. Everybody has their own opinion & theory instead of finding a "thus saith the Lord".

*Isaiah 8:20---"To the law and to the testimony; if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

What does the Bible say about jewelry???

What does the Spirit of Prophecy say about jewelry and the wedding ring???

Last time I checked, a wedding ring is still considered jewelry.

Obedience to ALL of God's commands IS a salvation issue.

Are we going to listen to the prophet? or disregard and reject the prophet?

Are we going to obey God? or man?

*Acts 5:29---"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Now is a Rolex watch jewelry? How many of us have one of those watchs. Is the Rolex the same jewelry as a wedding ring?

If we have to obey God rather than men, we have to do it in very thing! No wedding ring, no Rolex watch! 

We shouldn't wear wedding rings. We should let the Bible be our guide, not the traditions of men, not our culture, not what the world dictates. The Bible and the Bible only !!!

Somebody knows the real reason why ministers never talk with members about to wear rings? In my church there are a lot and worse:piercing/rings in the nose! Im talking about the ladies who teaches to kindergarten kids etc! Also they use bracelets, ear rings, hot food(spicy,peppery,piquant)!

Somebody told they are faithful in tithes! If not, the minister would complain, but about rings not! Even tough I desagree of this opinion, sometimes I think this is what happens in majority of the cases! 

Blessings,

Tony
We shouldnt wear relaxers either. that will do more damage than a ring, The day is going to come when what we think will save us, will not be apart of GODs plan at all.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service