Adventist Online

What do you about this issue ? please help me to clear things..Thank you

The evidence for a historical Jesus is unconvincing

If a person accepts hearsay and accounts from believers as historical evidence for Jesus, then shouldn't they act consistently to other accounts based solely on hearsay and belief?

To take one example, examine the evidence for Hercules of Greek mythology and you will find it parallels the "historicity" of Jesus to such an amazing degree that for Christian apologists to deny Hercules as a historical person belies and contradicts the very same methodology used for a historical Jesus.

Note that Herculean myth resembles Jesus in many areas. The mortal and chaste Alcmene, the mother of Hercules, gave birth to him from a union with God (Zeus). Similar to Herod who wanted to kill Jesus, Hera wanted to kill Hercules. Like Jesus, Hercules traveled the earth as a mortal helping mankind and performed miraculous deeds. Similar to Jesus who died and rose to heaven, Hercules died, rose to Mt. Olympus and became a god. Hercules gives example of perhaps the most popular hero in Ancient Greece and Rome. They believed that he actually lived, told stories about him, worshiped him, and dedicated temples to him.

Likewise the "evidence" of Hercules closely parallels that of Jesus. We have historical people like Hesiod and Plato who mention Hercules in their writings. Similar to the way the gospels tell a narrative story of Jesus, so do we have the epic stories of Homer who depict the life of Hercules. Aesop tells stories and quotes the words of Hercules. Just as we have a brief mention of Jesus by Joesphus in his Antiquities, Joesphus also mentions Hercules (more times than Jesus), in the very same work. Just as Tacitus mentions a Christus, so does he also mention Hercules many times in his Annals. And most importantly, just as we have no artifacts, writings or eyewitnesses about Hercules, we also have nothing about Jesus. All information about Hercules and Jesus comes from stories, beliefs, and hearsay.

Should we then believe in a historical Hercules, simply because ancient historians mention him and that we have stories and beliefs about him?

Of course not, and the same must apply to Jesus if we wish to hold any consistency to historicity.

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks titha I do believe and rely entirely on my bible...but here we are confronting with so many issues people of other christian dominations. But Titha Leh you want imagine how much confusion, Christmas bring to a home, family, individual and community and to the innocent child each year. We need to defend that and the bible not mentioning christmas is a real proof, that Jesus birth is real blessing to save us that is all.

I do not believe that we should celebrate birthdays and anniversaries too. what do you think ? 

no big deal, its fine with that. It is not a requirement to get to our Heavenly home.In fact, i celebrated my first birthday when i was 24 (finances couldn't allow earlier), before then, all i would get was a warm 'happy birthday' greeting from my family

We have counsel  on birthdays and such. The problem is that with birthday parties the person often tends to be a super star for simply being alive. I am not opposed to birthdays and anniversary activities as long as the event gives God glory and does not take on a materialistic and selfish tone. I don't think you will find many instances when those these do not dominate.

What i can't really understand why people are chasing things that will not be useful to them....why so many investment...the making of these gifts, the marketing, the sharing and yet feeling Jesus presence in their lives is not being felt..yet they are ready to feel the same next year too..then why we christians can't really  share the truth about it? where have we failed and where are we still failing. We are never in conformity of what Jesus has told us not to do but yet we are doing what the majority are doing....participating..

Lol, you mean helping the poor and needy on Christmas is sin?

What do you do on Christmas, Jason ?

Getting personal again? If I am off I go running in the forest. So why is this necessary?
How doesn't concern you? Are you not part of a family, a church family etc.

is not   " you mean helping the poor  and needy on Christmas is sin?" getting personal ?

I guess if one has something to hide it might be considered personal. Sorry to be so personal. Strike the question.

We SDA people we do help all throughout the whole year, but when getting to Christmas festive, we wish to do it in a special way..I don't know because so many things are attractive in that period of the year..you get extra money...but SDA do participate in Christmas donations etc... as if we are coping with Jesus...which I find unlogical..no wisdom here is being applied. but rather being guided by emotions rather than reason...

Vim...I no mean that I have the best topics over here but I post about Latter Rain and just few replies! About others that " seems" irrelevant goes over a 1000!
So give " alowance" or be tolerante pls!
Bless u

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by