Adventist Online

What do you think about Liberal Christianity or Liberal adventist ..Is there such thing as a liberal seventh day adventist ??

In my Christian journey i have encountered many different individuals, lately i have been communicating with a former adventist pastor he considers himself a liberal seventh day adventist.. He believes that he can go against the law of God, live a life of sin and God will understand..

The last time we spoke he said that there he sees nothing sinful or wrong it fornication.. He said God do understands that sexual intercourse is something that he needs as a individual, so if he performs the act out of wedlock God will understand..

My question here for you is, Is liberalism acceptable in the adventist Church? 

I had to do some reading on this subject this are some of the definition i found for liberal Christianity 

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically and biblically informed religious movements and ideas within Christianity from the late 18th century and onward. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[1] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

The theology of liberal Christianity was prominent in the Biblical criticism of the 19th and 20th centuries. The style of Scriptural hermeneutics(interpretation of the Bible) within liberal theology is often characterized as non-propositional. This means that the Bible is not considered a collection of factual statements, but instead an anthology that documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historical or cultural context. Thus, liberal Christian theologians do not claim to discover truth propositions but rather create religious models and concepts that reflect the class, gender, social, and political contexts from which they emerge. Liberal Christianity looks upon the Bible as a collection of narratives that explain, epitomize, or symbolize the essence and significance of Christian understanding.[2] Thus, liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as divinely inspired (God's Word), but subject Scripture to human reason.

In the 19th century, self-identified liberal Christians sought to elevate Jesus' humane teachings as a standard for a world civilization freed from cultic traditions and traces of "pagan" belief in the supernatural.[3] As a result, liberal Christians placed less emphasis on miraculous events associated with the life of Jesus than on his teachings. The effort to remove "superstitious" elements from Christian faith dates to intellectual reformist Christians such asErasmus and the Deists in the 15th–17th centuries.[4] The debate over whether a belief in miracles was mere superstition or essential to accepting thedivinity of Christ constituted a crisis within the 19th-century church, for which theological compromises were sought.

I would be happy to hear you thoughts on this issue be blessed 

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly, so let me remind you who just did. Ellen White and the Bible. Don't confuse that. In other words, the Word of God did. 

Understand what time we are living in. Its not the OT. Understand where you are in prophecy, and pay attention to the inspired words of the Bible and SOP. Don't isolate and pick and choose. You are spreading error, and you need to stop. 

I am not self righteous, and you do not even know me. Stop talking on the matter. I hear you're a pastor? You of all people should know better. 

He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth. - Proverbs 10:17 KJV

Four clear quotes from the SOP and a string of Bible verses telling you it is not the time to dance, and you still hold on to your ways. 

Let it go. 

Wow Jose. You reject the quote I used to support the correct use of dancing. And then you use the same quote as if it was from you (calling it YOUR 4th quote) . I am just stunned. So, do you accept that there is dance approved by God and by our prophet? Or do you get to decide WHEN it is acceptable and when it is not?

Well actually we should not give him so much credit.

He started this mess by saying that there was never ANY dance that was appropriate. Now he appears to be the one who can decide when dance is appropriate.

What will he say next?

And what is his beef with hip gyrations?
Aman Jose.
I agree that Jose is a man. But that is about all I am going to agree with.

John 

No one is telling you not to dance... you can dance as much as you like dear... girate all you want as well..not biggy ..Its ones personal conviction, but we should move as the Spirit of the Lord leads 

blessings 

Lol 

Well when the caribbean fever gets to me and i am amongst my fellow caribbean family ... music in the air .. I do get tempted to dance ..Gabriel... who says when i am doing my house chores, sweeping especially... with my music on... certainly i do dance with that broom stick...and the list goes on ..

But i wont in the house of the Lord ..

Sigh....

Looks like we will never agree on anything until the harvest ...

I need to go rest ..

John

IF i have to dance in the house of the lord they will put me out, base on the definition i have in my head and, what i know i am capable of... then again ... 

Mercy.. I shall not dance ... 

Always best to do as Mom says Gabe.

Go and get dance lessons.

It'll cure what ails ya.

Plus it's a great way to meet women.

we should be conservative standing for what we believe (God, Bible..), but liberal towards people (i mean, keeping in mind that everybody is a sinner)

emmy,

is it possible to be a legalist and liberal at the same time. i believe Jesus was a legalist and liberal in His own way.

Healing on the Sabbath, having lunch in the fields by plucking the wheat from the wheat fields. taking the donkey out of the ditch.

But to tell me about the former Pastor having intercourse (sex) due to his biological needs, and that God will understand---- i am not sure how this person can rationalize himself with God,  and how that its okay, to have an affair here and there,  Im sure Jesus would have said to him, like He did to the lady who was about to be stoned, to "Go and sin no more".

sir james

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by