Adventist Online

What do you think about Liberal Christianity or Liberal adventist ..Is there such thing as a liberal seventh day adventist ??

In my Christian journey i have encountered many different individuals, lately i have been communicating with a former adventist pastor he considers himself a liberal seventh day adventist.. He believes that he can go against the law of God, live a life of sin and God will understand..

The last time we spoke he said that there he sees nothing sinful or wrong it fornication.. He said God do understands that sexual intercourse is something that he needs as a individual, so if he performs the act out of wedlock God will understand..

My question here for you is, Is liberalism acceptable in the adventist Church? 

I had to do some reading on this subject this are some of the definition i found for liberal Christianity 

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically and biblically informed religious movements and ideas within Christianity from the late 18th century and onward. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[1] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

The theology of liberal Christianity was prominent in the Biblical criticism of the 19th and 20th centuries. The style of Scriptural hermeneutics(interpretation of the Bible) within liberal theology is often characterized as non-propositional. This means that the Bible is not considered a collection of factual statements, but instead an anthology that documents the human authors' beliefs and feelings about God at the time of its writing—within a historical or cultural context. Thus, liberal Christian theologians do not claim to discover truth propositions but rather create religious models and concepts that reflect the class, gender, social, and political contexts from which they emerge. Liberal Christianity looks upon the Bible as a collection of narratives that explain, epitomize, or symbolize the essence and significance of Christian understanding.[2] Thus, liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as divinely inspired (God's Word), but subject Scripture to human reason.

In the 19th century, self-identified liberal Christians sought to elevate Jesus' humane teachings as a standard for a world civilization freed from cultic traditions and traces of "pagan" belief in the supernatural.[3] As a result, liberal Christians placed less emphasis on miraculous events associated with the life of Jesus than on his teachings. The effort to remove "superstitious" elements from Christian faith dates to intellectual reformist Christians such asErasmus and the Deists in the 15th–17th centuries.[4] The debate over whether a belief in miracles was mere superstition or essential to accepting thedivinity of Christ constituted a crisis within the 19th-century church, for which theological compromises were sought.

I would be happy to hear you thoughts on this issue be blessed 

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may say that but now is not the time. Now is the time to weep and mourn, to sigh and cry for all the abominations that are commited, and to seek out our salvation with fear and trembling. Have a blessed Sabbath everyone.
I am not determining the time John. Go read up on the day of atonement, because the instructions are pretty clear. We are today living in the day of atonement so I don't see how you can claim that Gods wants us to go around dancing in church. Yes David danced before God and in the kingdom we will as well I am sure, but I still say that the time for that is not yet here. Blessing and good night.
I am not missing any point John, I completely understand that David danced in Gods presence.
Of course God never changes, but he does change cercumstances.

David's wife rolled her eyes and was bent out of shape because he danced! She didn't stop and think that God wasn't upset, so why was she?

I am not rolling my eyes or getting bent out of shape. Neither am I disputing that God did judge it to be good that David danced. Simply because we disagree on when the time to dance is you have accused me of putting myself in the place of God and being a so called Christan, which is totally unfair. using that same logic I could label you the same way because you disagree with me, would that be right?

JOhnP...

hmmm... So if it walks and talks like a duck then it's a horse right?! I just explained to you how gospel dancing is the mirror image of voodoo dancing...

John 

Before i comment i need a definition... of the word DANCE 

There are some wild stuff out there i do not know what it is.. i really don't... Yes i have read in scripture that David dance before the Lord..

As a caribbean girl i would say that i have seen dancing in my church, bu,t to some it is regarded as swaying from side to side ... i have partake in such but not anymore. Swaying from side to side may be defined as dancing to others it may not be.

I do believe that when i am in the house of the Lord that my focus should be on him.. trust me when people start dancing moving from side to side, i tend to lose focus, i will be eye balling these people and often times my eyes would fall on folks with excessive body parts shaking all over the place...

This, is one of the reasons I am totally against dancing in the sanctuary or anywhere else.. the attention it draws from spectators to you is alarming..

I think i should stop right there but the visual image that i have, of my experience is just to much to put in words on this forum.. i have given you just a tip of the iceberg her..

blessings 

John, is it that you want them to say 'yes there is a time to dance' so you can go on to discuss what that dance means?  I'm trying to figure out what you are including under that word dance because there are all sorts of manifestations of dance today.

Indeed Swann 

I need to know as well 

ALEX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David’s dancing in reverent joy before God has been cited by pleasure lovers in justification of the fashionable modern dance, but there is no ground for such an argument. In our day dancing is associated with folly and midnight reveling. Health and morals are sacrificed to pleasure. By the frequenters of the ballroom God is not an object of thought and reverence; prayer or the song of praise would be felt to be out of place in their assemblies. This test should be decisive. Amusements that have a tendency to weaken the love for sacred things and lessen our joy in the service of God are not to be sought by Christians. The music and dancing in joyful praise to God at the removal of the ark had not the faintest resemblance to the dissipation of modern dancing. The one tended to the remembrance of God and exalted His holy name. The other is a device of Satan to cause men to forget God and to dishonor Him. {PP 707.2}

But will this too be ignored? This is now 4 quotations I've given that DO NOT encourage dancing. More importantly, it  has now been shared via a string of BIBLE texts that it is not the time to dance. 

Jesus knew where He was in prophecy and acted accordingly. Why don't we? 

It is not time to dance. Not cuz I said so, not many posts ago I proved it via the Bible. 

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. - Matthew 11:15 KJV

Lets not just say we go by the Bible and preach that thats what we want to hear. How about we actually  obey the Bible, too?

THANKS JOSE...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by