Adventist Online

Any Thoughts ?

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The evil servant says in his heart, “My lord delayeth his coming.” He does not say that Christ will not come. He does not scoff at the idea of His second coming. But in his heart and by his actions and words he declares that the Lord’s coming is delayed. He banishes from the minds of others the conviction that the Lord is coming quickly. His influence leads men to presumptuous, careless delay. They are confirmed in their worldliness and stupor. Earthly passions, corrupt thoughts, take possession of the mind. The evil servant eats and drinks with the drunken, unites with the world in pleasure seeking. He smites his fellow servants, accusing and condemning those who are faithful to their Master. He mingles with the world. Like grows with like in transgression. It is a fearful assimilation. With the world he is taken in the snare. “The lord of that servant shall come ... in an hour that he is not aware of, and shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites.”{DA 635.1}

There is a delay in the coming of the Bridegroom in order that all may have an opportunity to hear the last message of mercy to a fallen world. The first and second angels’ messages are all united and complete in the third: “And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of His indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb.”{16MR 269.1

Jason, good quotes.

The Desire of Ages quote appears to refer to the "evil" report -- i.e., 'there is no urgency... Things will continue as they always have, and I do not need to separate myself from the ways of the world yet.'

In contrast to the "evil" servant's idea, there comes the thought (in your 16MR quote) that Jesus delays His coming in mercy, so "that all may have opportunity to hear the last message". And this must be true. But there is another element...

"It was not the will of God that the coming of Christ should be thus delayed... For 40 years did unbelief, murmuring, and rebellion shut out ancient Israel from the land of Canaan. The same sins have delayed the entrance of modern Israel into the heavenly Canaan." (Evangelism p.696)

And,

"Long has God waited for the spirit of service to take possession of the whole church... When the members of the church of God do their appointed work... the Lord Jesus will return to this earth with power and great glory." (Acts of the Apostles p.111)

If my use of the "..." troubles anybody, I will gladly post the full comment.

That we are not fulfilling the divine commission and taking the Gospel into the world.

Jesus said, "and this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." (Matt.24:14)

Yes indeed. When we do our part, "then shall the end come."

JohnB, what do you think?

Are we [as a people] actually doing what is required, and we just need to do more of it?

Hmm... hard question, Stewart.

I think that since Ted Wilson has become president there has been a greater focus on evangelism and I applaud that. However, individually I have some concerns. I like the idea of the Mission to the Cities but am concerned that there is not a lot of/enough preparation for it. I often feel that we put on campaigns that appeal to us rather than "the lost".

I am also concerned that we don't do enough to reach those of other religions. We seem to be very comfortable talking to other Christians, even to agnostics and atheists but we seem to shy away from Buddhists, Jews, Hindus and Muslims. It is in this area that I sometimes despair that we seem to be unable to present our message outside the "comfort zone" of Christianity.

So, I suppose we are doing "some" of what is required - but not all, and, yes, we need to do more of it. I also advocate using Christ's method of evangelism and the California/Oakland pattern that Sis White saw in her "beehive" vision.

There is a vast majority of the church that are tares and in apostasy. There are however, many that are doing the needed work. 

It's my oppinion that the work is getting done. This is based on the fact that last events are fast fulfilling. Jesus could have come sooner,  but the events to take place would have still happened in their order, just speeded up. 

Those events are now happening quickly,  so someone is doing the work. Our goal is to make sure we are one of those who are

James I agree with you on your first point. Do you think our apostasy is a conscious/deliberate apostasy? Does the majority really know what they are doing? Our are they generally being carried by the current toward the falls?

I do hope that you are right, and that the work is getting done.

The alternative would be difficult to contemplate.

Amos  5:18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end [is] it for you? the day of the LORD [is] darkness, and not light.

Rush,

does "the day of the LORD" here, point to that time when the winds are let lose, and the plagues come? I believe it does. There are some that say "BRING IT ON... Let God do His worst." And there are some that think they will glory in that day, when they see every worldly support collapsing, and when there is no restraint upon the people. They imagine that they will be strong in the storm. But I believe there will be no glorying in that day...

We are to desire the Lord's return, but the time that immediately precedes His return -- No. None of us should be eager for that.

I agree Stewart

The Gospel did go to all the roman world at the time soon after the French Revolution. At that time the papacy was taken out of the way and Bible societies formed. The Bible was spread far and wide across the empire.

The internet could be the final move to harden all in one camp or the other. Sure seems that way. There is a set timeline and the clock is winding down. 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service