Adventist Online

Eph 3:14 ¶ For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

This is the only verse in Scripture that defines Elohiym  or Theos or GOD as a simple English word.

This word is the word "family".

What do other SDA people think of this verse?

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rob Yes I have noticed a decided tendency of the Church Leadership to move as close to the worldly churches as they can. EGW had something to say about this:

"We are living in the last days of this earth’s history, and we may be surprised at nothing in the line of apostasies and denials of the truth. Unbelief has now come to be a fine art which men work at to the destruction of their souls. There is constant danger of there being shams in pulpit preachers, whose lives contradict the words they speak; but the voice of warning and of admonition will be heard as long as time shall last; and those who are guilty of transactions that should never be entered into, when reproved or counseled through the Lord’s appointed agencies, will resist the message and refuse to be corrected. They will go on as did Pharaoh and Nebuchadnezzar, until the Lord takes away their reason, and their hearts become unimpressible. The Lord’s word will come to them; but if they choose not to hear it, the Lord will make them responsible for their own ruin." {1NL 101.1}

One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan’s banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God’s Spirit.—Selected Messages 3:84 (1903).{LDE 177.4}

The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. “Where there is no vision, the people perish” (Proverbs 29:18). Satan will work ingeniously, in different ways and through different agencies, to unsettle the confidence of God’s remnant people in the true testimony.—Selected Messages 1:48 (1890). {LDE 177.5}

The enemy has made his masterly efforts to unsettle the faith of our own people in the Testimonies.... This is just as Satan designed it should be, and those who have been preparing the way for the people to pay no heed to the warnings and reproofs of the Testimonies of the Spirit of God will see that a tide of errors of all kinds will spring into life.—Selected Messages 3:83 (1890).{LDE 178.1}

It is Satan’s plan to weaken the faith of God’s people in the Testimonies. Next follows skepticism in regard to the vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition. When the Testimonies, which were once believed, are doubted and given up, Satan knows the deceived ones will not stop at this; and he redoubles his efforts till he launches them into open rebellion, which becomes incurable and ends in destruction.—Testimonies for the Church 4:211.{LDE 178.2}

Very nice research and SOP quotes Elijah.

"first give up their faith"

"to make of none effect the testimony"

"vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition"

It is clear some Scripture is fuzzy, so why doesn't the Church leave us alone? Instead we have vows and creeds with words no longer supported by Scripture? Silence is golden EGW says for a reason.

http://spiritualsprings.org/ss-1425.htm

Notice

RALPH MACKIN: IN THE WEEK OF PRAYER READING FOR THAT YEAR, EVERY ARTICLE WAS DIRECTED TO THE PEOPLE TO SEEK FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT. WE SET ASIDE IN OUR LITTLE CHURCH THREE DAYS FOR FASTING AND PRAYER, AND WE FASTED AND PRAYED FOR THREE DAYS--THAT IS, NOT CONSTANTLY TOGETHER, BUT WE FELT THE NEED OF A DEEPER WORK AND FELT THE NECESSITY OF COMING INTO POSSESSION OF MORE OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD.

Mr and Mrs Mackin were practicing the increase in the power of the Holy Spirit, driving out demons in Jesus Name. They were also fasting and praying to increase their prayer power. And thus they believed they were doing all things right, and thus were shown signs of success with people cleansed through the prayers on their behalf.

How does one therefore discern correctly the fruits of the Holy Spirit in our lives? to be valid and true, rather than Fanaticism and false?

R. MACKIN: IF THE HOLY SPIRIT TELLS US THAT OUR WORK IS DONE NOW, WE WILL GO; IF HE TELLS US TO TARRY, WE WILL TARRY. IT LEADS US. AS I HAVE PRESENTED THIS MESSAGE TO DIFFERENT CONGREGATIONS THE SPIRIT OF GOD HAS WITNESSED TO IT, AND MANY WEEP, AND THEY SAY, "OH, WE NEED POWER, WE NEED HELP, AND THIS IS THE POWER PROMISED, AND LET US SEEK GOD." {3SM 370.3}

As I was reading this story, I was impressed they were doing things right until I read Mr Mackin's remarks about the way He described the Holy Spirit as a "He", I knew immediately something was wrong....But does the Church know this is also wrong?

Notice the vision Ellen White received about the Mackin's later...

Your wife, in speech, in song, and in strange exhibitions that are not in accordance with the genuine work of the Holy Spirit, is helping to bring in a phase of fanaticism that would do great injury to the cause of God, if allowed any place in our churches. {3SM 376.2}

How can we become a church united in Jesus, if we differ reading our Scriptures so ?

We would come together burdened in soul, praying that we might be one in faith and doctrine; for we knew that Christ is not divided. One point at a time was made the subject of investigation. Solemnity characterized these councils of investigation. The Scriptures were opened with a sense of awe. Often we fasted, that we might be better fitted to understand the truth. {CD 187.5}

We should study the Scriptures carefully to make sure we have all things as the Scriptures describes them...in the way the Hebrew words were penned....all the Scriptures...not just the NT and the OT as well...we need to read the Hebrew, as this was the language GOD chose first to speak to man...it is important we catch what GOD intended to say...not glean so called truth via a human translation...but catch the true truth from the Hebrew themselves...

Study the Scriptures with prayer and fasting ...

Shalom

Regular fasting is good my pastor that baptized me just ate a humble meal on Sabbaths.  This is a type of fast and helps understand truths better.

You see,,  -- in John 18 Jesus was being arrested and knowing all things would happen to Him.  He went forward.  That can encourage any reader of it that has understanding to go forward as we see the days approaching for the end.  We need courage we need prophecy we need faith of and love of Jesus.  His selflessness and His mercy and His grace and His agape love and His bible study groups and His fellowship groups and His church and His money and His blessings and His computer and His phone and all of His people together united in harmony that we might receive His eternal life Indeed and His character and His spirit and His drink and His foods, and His liberty and His laws and His sight and His taste and His bride without spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

Blessings.

Amen!!

Cheers.

He said He will come again.

Do not be troubled neither let it be afraid I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

my picture of God plus more.

I know a tiny bit of Hebrew but I don't believe we need to know it.  It's not low enough for everyone to grasp it and salvation is for everyone no matter how low they went.

God wants us to grasp the low branches before we reach the high ones. I only have certain amounts of knowledge I can do.  My small brain.  I'm still in college.  It takes all I can do to learn it all.  Very taxing.  Lots to learn.  Lots more to do.  

Umm, I'm your friend and low-slave.  God bless.  Take Care Be blessed.

Greetings Andrew

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
(KJV)

There is nothing wrong reading Scripture in English and at a low level, I have been such a babe for over 25 years growing in Jesus. Many of us are like this snatched and saved as a firebrand from the fires of the Lord. God bless your ministry.

Shalom

I invite my friends like James to come and discuss, the picture of Elohiym

as a picture of "family". This meaning comes from Ephesian 3:15

but is absent in the OT. Why? because family implies a beginning, and GOD has no beginning, so our picture of family must be spiritually understood.

But it did become literal in the NT with Jesus, adding humanity to the great uncaused cause. Thus the picture of family is also more aligned with human thinking. Bare this in mind, but be aware of its limitations. Elohiym is a mystery and we see things darkly.

Shalom

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by