Adventist Online

Please share with us .... the best drawing of Jesus that you have seen.

How is Jesus represented in this drawing? Who is the artist?

What are the most important characteristics of a picture of Jesus?

Views: 1484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These photos are really amazing...", I love the color combination...",
This one shows Jesus reading the list in the Book of Life. Is your name and mine written there?

I don't worship the image of Jesus. I worship the Jesus that I know through scripture. The photo or image of Jesus only helps me to relate to Him. How He actually looked on this earth does not matter. How He looks in heaven does not matter. If I am black I will 'paint' Him as black. If I am white .... I 'paint' Him as white. If I am Indian ... I 'paint Him as Indian. For He truly is all of that and more. As long as I worship HIM instead of the image .... I am good and blessed.

Keep the pictures coming. I am blessed by each one. Red and Yellow ... Black and White .....

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 NIV

OK...No graven image here....
Please quote the entire Commandment.

Exod.20:4-6 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments
."

In reading the full commandment you will note that God stated that we should not make images to "bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:" He did not say that we must not make images at all.

This is amply demonstrated by moving on 17 chapters to where God commanded Bezaleel to make images:

Exod.37:7 "And he made two cherubims [of] gold, beaten out of one piece made he them, on the two ends of the mercy seat;
One cherub on the end on this side, and another cherub on the [other] end on that side: out of the mercy seat made he the cherubims on the two ends thereof.
And the cherubims spread out [their] wings on high, [and] covered with their wings over the mercy seat, with their faces one to another; [even] to the mercy seatward were the faces of the cherubims
."

So, please, understand what you are quoting without snipping the quote to make it fit your ideas. Do not make it look like God speaks out of both sides of His mouth.
And may I add this, JohnB: Ellen White comments on Exod. 20:4-6, "A few condemned pictures, urging that they are prohibited by the second commandment, and that everything of this kind should be destroyed.... The second commandment prohibits image worship; but God Himself employed pictures and symbols to represent to His prophets lessons which He would have them give to the people, and which could thus better understood than if given in any other way. He appealed to the understanding through the sense of sight. Prophetic history was presented to Daniel and John in symbols, and these were to be represented plainly upon tables, that he who read might understand." SDA Bible Commentary, volume 1, page 1106.
Hello My Brother
You are SO RIGHT, & I could not agree with you more that what you have just Explained & Expressed Very Good Job.
If one is not blessed by the pictures of Jesus .... I would recommend they not frequent threads that have pictures.
I have been enjoying the pictures here. Thank you for starting this one. I rarely contribute to other discussion topics as I see that there is a tendency for some of the exchanges to become debates with both sides defending their positions. It never occurred to me that contributing pictures here would raise some eyebrows.

Here's a quotation from the pen of inspiration about pictures of Jesus in our publications: "Should we not make investigation in regard to the matter of illustrating our books so largely? Would not the mind have clearer, more perfect ideas of angels, of Christ, of all spiritual things? Many of the pictures made are grossly false as far as truth is concerned. Do not pictures so far removed from the truth give voice to falsehoods? We want to be true in all our representations of Jesus Christ. But many of the miserable daubs put into our books and papers are an imposition on the public." Counsels to Writers and Editors, p. 171 (Letter 145, 1899).

Ellen White was not against the use of picture of Jesus. She was against the incorrect choices of pictures used.

Earlier she wrote: "Pictures to represent Bible scenes must be no cheap design." (p. 167) "The glory of God must be kept before the mind's eye, not the cheap, earthly representations that imprint in the memory scenes which gives false conception of Christ and heavenly things." (pp. 167, 168)

I invite others to continue sharing, here, the pictures of Jesus which has moved them to a closer relationship with Him.
True!

But this particular member does not believe in the Trinity. He appears to be offended that we are 'raising' Jesus to the level of God the Father. So he has other issues with this thread other than "idol worship".
Brother Jaroslav,
Please forgive me. You did not use the words "idol worship". I did not mean to put those words in your mouth even though I erroneously put them in quotes as if you had said them. I was wrong.

What I was referring to was where you quoted "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing..."

That is a quote about idol worship. I should have said "So he has other issues with this thread other than worshiping "any graven image, or any likeness of any thing". -God bless you

Smaller, but, I think it still counts, right? :)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service