Adventist Online

What is your opinion on the Church disfellowshipping a member because of pregnancy outside of marriage?

From a personal standpoint, all of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God and to disfellowship a member because of pregnancy is throwing them back into the world instead of loving them and encouraging them in their spiritual life and recommitting themselves back to the Lord. Don't take me wrong, I am not encouraging the sin!!!

Views: 857

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anytime there is a sin that is so public (be it pregnancy, robbery, whatever) there needs to be discipline. And by discipline I mean that I fully support church probabtion where a person is not allowed to lead out programs for a specific period of time. I don't that Disfellowship is the answer unless it is a case of REPEAT offenses. In the case you mentioned where it was suggested that the Father step-down, I think that is unreasonable. Did his actions contribute to her condition? No. As we are responsible for our own Salvation then we should also be responsible for our own actions. I think as a church we need loving correction and where there is not fire we should not start one. A friend of mine told me of a very sad story about her sister. Her entire family was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Her sister however, became engaged and eventually married a non-Adventist. Not only was he non-Advntist but he didn't belong to any church and she was introducing him to the Word. When news of their engagement spread she was asked to step-down from her duties because her fiance was non-Adventist. Things became worse in the church after she got married. She eventually stopped attending church when her husband asked her, "Why do you want me to join this church? Look how these people treat you". What possible defense of the SDA church could she give in that moment. Here we have a case of someone being ostracized and her family criticized for marrying a non-Adventist. Despite what you think of marriage to non-Adventist she was still living in the bonds of matrimony. Was it fair for her to be kicked out? I don't think so and not only did they lose a member in her, but a potential believer in her husband.
I also brought up this topic to the pastor of my church. I think it varies from church to church. I was told that the church does not marry an adventist with a non-adventist, which I agree. But the adventist will be placed on church discipline for 3 months if I am not mistaken. So, in that time the person cannot hold any offices in the church, which I find is reasonable. God knows, the same very unbeliever might become a believer in the long run.
Well disfellowshipping is quite an extreme, it should only be done if the person concerned has been given warning and they intentionally refuse to take spiritual advice.

Getting pregnant out of wedlock and in this regard either to an Adventist or non-Adventist deserves church discipline. The duty of the church is to make sure high spiritual standards are observed amongst it's members.

Rev. 3:19 KJV
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

The moment we start favoring people and not condemn sin we are surrendering our thoughts to the devil. Sin has to be condemned and that's what Christ came to do, condemn sin and give us eternal life. Christ is the head of the church, and we who are called Christians should be Christ-like.

So if one is guilty of fornication, those who are of good standing spiritually are to speak to the person, show him/her where they erred and inform him/her how the church functions that they have to undergo discipline.

I'm sorry if a church leader, pastor, or elder falls short of what was commanded in the bible and one of their family members is guilty of fornication, adultery or whatever visible sin it is...they are supposed to stand down.
It means they have failed to control their family, they have failed to live by example and their family doesn't show a good picture to the world.
If at all political leaders stand down when they are guilty of corruption, poor decision making, and corrupt character, I think God's people should be ahead of the pack and show zero tolerance to sin.

Marriage to non-believers is condemned biblically, prophetically and inside church organization, it's something not tolerated, if a person is a true believer they wouldn't dare and tread on forbidden ground.
The church is there to show such people the wrong course of action they are taking, and individuals should be taught not to follow feelings but thus says the word of God (It Is Written). In most cases what people think is gold always turns out to be base metal because they disregarded biblical, prophetic and church advice. How much longer are we gonna limp between two positions, If God is God let's follow Him and obey what He commands.

I conclude by saying the church should wake up and make sure it's members are educated in such small things and the name of the Lord will be surely glorified.
I'm sorry if a church leader, pastor, or elder falls short of what was commanded in the bible and one of their family members is guilty of fornication, adultery or whatever visible sin it is...they are supposed to stand down.
It means they have failed to control their family, they have failed to live by example and their family doesn't show a good picture to the world.

Joseph you are not serious, you cannot be serious about your above quote. If the child of a pastor or elder falls to a sexual sin then the Father/ Mother should step down wow. Aaron had evil children but God nebver asked him to step down, so too did Eli and Samuel, So too did David a man after God's own heart and Abraham and Isaacs but I never saw where God asked them to step down. You need to show us what version of the bible you are using. I am so glad that yo are not my God I am so glad that God is a merciful God and forgiven God.

If you think that disfellowshipping folks who fall to sexual sin is showing Zero tolerance then you are very confused my friend. Kicking someone off the church role is not showing zero tolerance of sin, it's showing how confused you are. Paul said that folks show be disfellowship only after showing no remorse or continuing in a sin after council from 3 different parties. However when a young lady gets pregnant she is 90% of time disfellowshipped even though it may have been the 1st and only occasion. Did Jesus disfellowship the woman caught in adultery no he told her to go and sin no more.

And what efforts are generally made to reconcile those who have been disfellowshipped? maybe 5%. It's wonderful to know that my soul salvation is not determined by whether or not my name is on the SDA members list but whether or not it's in the lamb book of life.
a
Good Post Charlie.

You make some very good valid point.

We can't control what others do. We can witness and give example to our very best ... but in the end ... it is up to the individual to make up their mind.

A few years back ... my pastor lost his job because the President of the Conference said he wasn't keeping his wife in order. His wife suffered from an addiction. She received help but did not gain victory soon enough. So, he lost his job.

This line of thought is contrary to scripture as you have outlined.

We need to call sin by it's name ... but we are to love the sinner.
And about this idea of repentance. Repentance is a gift. And not all of us have the same gifts. Not all of us have the same knowledge or abilities. Kicking someone out is not the answer. Loving them is.

Like has been mentioned ... we are all sinners. And God is our judge. Not our church and not our fellow men. Let him without sin cast the first stone.
amen to the last line N Him.
Amen brother!!!

I must say I have been reading a few of the responses and some of them really have me thinking.

Like you said brother Charliebwoyo God is merciful and we must be grateful and thankful for that.

God does not want us to live in sin is true, but have you all realized that disfellowshipping is done by the CHURCHBOARD!!! so if there is someone on that board who does not favour the person who is to be disfellowshipped they will try their utmost best to let this go through. And that is sad. That we have favouritism even in our church. The church that we try to talk to others about, about being the true church.
And like it was mentioned also earlier, indeed the way we treat our members is what makes people see our church as a cult, while I can say we are not. But that is because I know GOD and his word.

When we have crusades and try to reach others we are so nice and understanding, and even forgiving. for if we should see a brother or sister we are ministering to doing something that is not condoned by the church how are they approached? Usually by still being coached and told that it is understandable that they cannot leave that what they are doing easily, but they will be kept in prayer and so on and so on. we are then very forgiving and understanding. Yet when that person is baptized and afterwards do something not condoned by the church...depending what. the church is ready to disfellowship.

The church is supposed to coach and guide and help this person commiting the sin, by at least 3 parties indeed, but how many times does the church ACTUALLY do this? I think not often if really ever.

We should stop being hypocrites and really be like GOD in the sense of being understanding and forgiving and HELPFULL. And remember not JUDGEMENTAL cause we are none without sin. The only difference between the one that is being disfellowshipped is that their sin has BECOME OBVIOUS to the church (public) while the sin of the other person is usually "public" for others who maybe are not part of the church.

I believe we do need to discipline, but disfellowshipping is going to far. Seeing it is done by SINNERS. The only one who is entitled to disfellowship I find personally is GOD our father who actually is a FORGIVING and MERCIFUL God.

Learn from that one mistake, and try to live according to GOD's principles is my advice and supporting word for the ones being disfellowshipped and all of us actually.

Thank you.

Joseph

Amen!!! Haleluahhhhh praise God!!!

I don't think the church body was showing very much compassion for that woman and childs salvation. But not to fear, salvation is based upon our reliance upon Jesus, and not relieance upon having our names on the church rolls.
Wouldn't it be dependent upon whether or not the person was repentant?
Charlie, Plz read the first chapter of my post. I didn't condone disfellowshipping but I agree with church discipline.

Now regarding stepping down, brother the bible puts it clearly those to be engaged in service had to be individuals with good understanding and full of spirit.

I Tim 3:1-7 KJV
1This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Titus 1:5-9 KJV
5For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;

I am convinced that you can read and study for yourself what happened to Eli and his sons.
Pastors and Elders are important people, the bible says they should be able to put their house in order, and at the moment they fail to do so there's no option they have failed the mark which was set by the author and perfecter of our faith Jesus through His inspired word.

By showing zero tolerance to sin, doesn't mean disfellowship, I said it before and It Is Written in the church manual that disfellowship is only done to individuals or members who have rejected advice and discipline through censure!
A member guilty of fornication or adultery is first censured and progress watched to see if the individual is repentant of the act they did, if the individual refuses to comply that's when they are disfellowshiped.

We have to learn not lower spiritual standards, Read Numbers 25; there's a great lesson about lowering spiritual standards. We are all sinful, in need of God's saving mercy, but still the Lord desires us to be like Him.

9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service