Adventist Online

What is your opinion on the Church disfellowshipping a member because of pregnancy outside of marriage?

From a personal standpoint, all of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God and to disfellowship a member because of pregnancy is throwing them back into the world instead of loving them and encouraging them in their spiritual life and recommitting themselves back to the Lord. Don't take me wrong, I am not encouraging the sin!!!

Views: 857

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Antonio,

I think you should read the later replies on this topic 'cause i think you are indeed very confuse. you can't just disfellow a member because of obvious sin, while she is repenting, we are not God, He's the only one who has the right to do that.

now i ask you, if you disfellow her, how are you going to reach her again? will she still come back to worship with us? i don't think so. we should beware of the hypocrites then.

God bless.

Lorie
I have no idea which reference in the good book that you were referring to. But I can assure you that there are a ton of reason for disfellowship listed. However ... that does not make it right. And most of the time ... the reasons are not used. One particular one is never used ... and that would be stealing from God in the form of the neglect of tithe paying. The manual states that stealing can be a reason for disfellowship. But stealing from God is not used as a reason for disfellowship in our churches.

Antonio

Are you saying that we should accept open sin in the church just because we are afraid that members will leave the church?? If someone is disfellowshipped and they leave the church it is not the fault of the church it simply means that they was never in the church in the first place.

Look at Hebrews 6:4-6

After you were once enlightened and have tasted the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost and have seen the goodness of God and his  word If after all this you shall fall away then God says it is impossible to renew you again uno repentance.

So, if one is disfellowshipped and leaves the church after all he has tasted of God then they were never enlightened in the first place they did not have a relationship with God.

The sheep will always hear God's voice and follow him

First I would ask. Why would anyone want to get themselves pregnant and lay such a burden on God's people? As if they don't already have enough on their plates as it is?

The Bible says if you're having sex, and you're not married, then you should get married to that person.

Exo. 22:16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.

But we don't have enough information about this case to even begin making discussion.
When you say a burden on God's people, do you mean the Church as a whole? If so, I don't think it's a burden on the Church as a whole because in the end it is you and God.
I personally know some people who were into this situation years ago.
1. Female - she was disfellowshipped without anybody telling her. Somebody just told me and my other friend about it and to confirm, we asked her. She said she doesn't know and doesn't matter either. She never came back to church to this date.
2. Female - daughter of a pastor who also holds a high position in adventist union. She never married and never got any church discipline either.
3. Male - he married the girl right away. They were (both) "supposedly" under church discipline by not being allowed to lead ANY church program for six months.
4. Female - she was disfellowshipped when her father confirmed her pregnancy to the church board members. Some people even suggested that her father should resign as it was a disgrace what happened to her. She still goes to church but because of people gossiping and giving her pointed condescending looks, she stopped. Nobody visited her or even asked how she was coping. She felt like an outcast. A year or so after giving birth the church board members asked her if she wants to rebaptize, she asked me about it... I said "no". I felt at that time that by doing so would just satisfy their holier-than-thou attitude and since she never considered herself a non-adventist, there's no need. She still attends Sabbath but in a different city.

Looking back, I think the form of discipline varies from churches, some are lenient some are just @#$&!!!

I know that my friend has sinned but some people are so quick to judge that they haven't noticed they are stained with sin as well. If one is disfellowhipped she/he should at least receive moral support like visitations or be included in the church prayers. Why the need to put down a person when he/she is already down.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. John 8:7
So what you are saying is that the church must condone sin because all sins carry the same weight and we are all sinners. 'nuff sed
I don't think she is saying the church must condone sin. But we are all sinners and if the Church was to disfellowship everybody who have sinned, guess what? The churches would be empty, because all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. How many people actually returns to church after the church has disfellowshipped them? Like Reya mentioned....Jesus told the Pharisees who brought in the woman caught in adultery..those of you who is without sin, cast the first stone. .Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
In the end the church can disfellowship but that doesn't mean that Jesus has cast out the sinner out of heaven.
We had the same cases/situations in our church. I think these cases have become rampant in our churces and that is frustrating to know because not all professed SDAs are spiritually convicted because God's admonition to men is not highly regarded.
If the person is repentant, the church should forgive.

But if the person is unrepentant, then the church needs to act.

If repentance has been expressed, the benefit of the doubt should always go with the person expressing repentance.

Disfellowship should be a valid method with an unrepentant party, but it must be Spirit led.

God bless,

Mark
Amen!!
The gospel seeks to restore sinners.

But confession and repentance are also a part of the mercy process.

I know how many times a day God forgives me? So I appreciate His continual effort to restore me to His side when I get it wrong.

God bless,

Mark

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com