Adventist Online

What is your opinion on the Church disfellowshipping a member because of pregnancy outside of marriage?

From a personal standpoint, all of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God and to disfellowship a member because of pregnancy is throwing them back into the world instead of loving them and encouraging them in their spiritual life and recommitting themselves back to the Lord. Don't take me wrong, I am not encouraging the sin!!!

Views: 941

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brother Joseph I gave a whole list of people who had children that were far from perfect, David, Abraham, Isaacs, Jacob, Samuel, Aaron and Eli yet you only chose to comment on Eli and his sons.

Now having your children in subjection does not mean that the children are also Godfearing. It means that you would not stand for ungodly behaviour in your house. It carries the same connation as train up a child in the way the he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. Is that statement really true taken at face value, does it really mean that all children who depart from God did not have good training. So Lucifer did not have good training and Adam did not have good training. We all have free choice and regardless of the level of training we receive we are still left to choose whether to accept or dismiss the training.

I know for a fact that in my church if were to really tick off the checklist as given by Paul then we would not have any Elders and there would be be very Pastors.

Maybe things operate differently in your neck of the woods but with a pregnancy it is one strike and you are out. You are not disfellowshipped after the 3rd preganancy you are dismissed at the first. The excuse being that it is an outward sin, but Paul did not say that outward only gets one strike. He said if the person continues to disregard chastisement then and only then should he be removed. Let us not be guity of going with the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law.

As I said before we should be more interested in peoples name being in the Lambs book of life and not just about being members of SDA churches.

One final point Judas was a thief but he was still part of the 12, Peter was foul mouthed bad temper, James and John were selfish and self gratifying but Jesus had them in his inner circle. Judas went on to betray Jesus Peter went on to Deny Jesus and James went on to disown Jesus. But Jesus still worked with them and I wonder why Jesus did not disfellowship or disassociated himself from them. Peter went on to be crucified upside down for Christ, James went on to be beheaded for Christ and John went on to be exiled on Patmos for Christ.

I would rather follow the example of Christ than the example of Man.
There was someone who was pregnant in my church ,but they were not disfellowship. I don't think that is being done in North American. I know in Canada they usually silence you for a year, you're not allow to do anything or hold any position until the year is up. I do not agree with the disfellowshiping of members that can cause members to never want to go to church again. God in his words said that he welcome us after we sin, so who are we to say to a member you are not welcome in church because you sin, that is exactly where you should go to church and confess your sins. God said he is willing and ready to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness.
Good post Deon.

You know ... sinners make the best pastors and teachers. I would not listen to someone who was holy and could not relate to my personal struggles.
Church discipline is enacted inorder to make sure that church members exemplify Christ. If Christ lived a perfect sinless life, then through our dependence on Him, we are able to live a life glorifying God.

Currently I'm in a church which has no discipline, we erred, members are cohabiting and the church is doing totally nothing. When we show up for services we are given tasks to do, the church cares not what we do during the week, cares not to find out where we live, cares not about the girls we take to church either they are Adventists or Non-Adventists, as a matter of fact they make us sit together!

In brief there's broad day light fornication, adultery but the church is not doing anything to make sure the highest spiritual standards are maintained.
The bible says The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked...Prov. 15:8 NIV. So brothers and sisters imagine that environment don't you think if church discipline was practiced in this church that we've wouldn't have erred, fornicated and have given a good image to the church of God?
Preach it brother ... but don't enforce it or you won't have any members left. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God. It is up to God to take care of the sins in our church. It is OUR job to preach truth.
I think, my church needs to understand about how the church functions...we all fell short of the glory of God, but when we depend on Him, and purpose in our hearts to do right, the spirit of God is there to help us in our cause.

If there's discipline in my church then fornication may be wouldn't have been tolerated. These days we have learnt to tolerate some injustices and fear to speak boldly about them in fear of hurting others. The Lord called us to do just that, preach, correct, admonish, reprove, restore those who have erred in faith.

Church discipline should be enacted for effective performance of God's church, a revival will sweep across the lands if the church goes back to the basics.
John 8:1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
8:2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

The Church is suppose to show some type of LOVE, not comdenation.
I agree with you on this Gabe. Good thoughts. If we're going to start kicking people out we should ALL be kicked out for we ALL sin. Don't let anybody fool you otherwise.
I humbly disagree with you Gabe
God loves sin and hates the sinner,when he punishes,He does so redemptively.Disfellowshipping a member is not meant as a sign or cruelty but as a redemptive punishment that does not only seek to redeem but also to help in protecting the sanctity of marriage.
Simon, I hope your meant "God hates the sin but loves the sinner." LOL
Disfellowshipping is an extreme punishment or consequence. I think the word should be "discipline" at least at the lighter level or weight.

Let's consider this:

The Pattern and Basis for Discipline

(1) The discipline of the church is first patterned after the fact that the Lord Himself disciplines His children (Heb. 12:6) and, as a father delegates part of the discipline of the children to the mother, so the Lord has delegated the disci¬pline of the church family to the church itself (1 Cor. 5:12-13; 2 Cor. 2:6).

(2) Discipline is further based on the holy character of God (1 Pet. 1:16; Heb. 12:11). The pattern of God’s holiness—His desire for the church to be holy, set apart unto Him—is an important reason for the necessity of church discipline. The church is therefore to clean out the leaven of malice and wickedness from its ranks (1 Cor. 5:6-8). A failure to exer¬cise disci¬pline in the church evidences a lack of awareness of and concern for the holiness of God.

(3) Church discipline is to be patterned after and based on the divine commands of Scripture (1 Cor. 4:6). We have numerous passages of Scripture which both command and give us God’s directives on the how, why, when, and where of church discipline. Again, a failure to exercise this responsibility demon¬strates a lack of obedience and belief in the authority of the Bible (1 Cor. 5:1-13; Matt. 18:17-18; Titus 3:10; 2 Thess. 3:6-15; 1 Tim. 5:20; Gal. 6:1).

(4) Another basis for the necessity of church discipline is the testimony of the church in the world (1 Pet. 4:13-19). The world observes the behavior and life of the church. When the church acts no differently than the world, it loses its credibility and authenticity (1 Pet. 2:11-18; 3:8-16; 4:1-4).

The Purposes of Church Discipline

(1) To bring glory to God and enhance the testimony of the flock.
(2) To restore, heal, and build up sinning believers (Matt. 18:15; 2 Thess. 3:14-15; Heb. 12:10-13; Gal. 6:1-2; Jam. 5:20).
(3) To produce a healthy faith, one sound in doctrine (Tit. 1:13; 1 Tim. 1:19-20).
(4) To win a soul to Christ, if the sinning person is only a pro¬fessing Christian (2 Tim. 2:24-26).
(5) To silence false teachers and their influence in the church (Tit. 1:10-11).
(6) To set an example for the rest of the body and promote godly fear (1 Tim. 5:20).
(7) To protect the church against the destructive consequences that occur when churches fail to carry out church discipline. A church that fails to exercise discipline experiences four losses:

• The Loss of Purity: Church discipline is vital to the purity of the local body and its protection from moral decay and impure doctrinal influences. Why? Be¬cause a little leaven leavens the entire lump (1 Cor. 5:6-7). This is the “rotten apple” problem or the “snowball” effect.

An illustration of this is the Corinthian church which showed a lack of concern for purity. They neglected the responsibility to discipline and suffered as a result. Their insensitivity to one moral issue may have led to their compromise on other issues. Laney writes, “The Corinthians engaged in lawsuits, misused their lib-erty, profaned the Lord’s Supper, neglected the primacy of love, failed to regulate the use of their gifts, and questioned the resurrection.” Failure in church discipline in Corinth could be compared to a snowball tum-bling downhill.

• The Loss of Power: Sin in the life of the church grieves the person of the Holy Spirit and quenches His power. If sin remains unchecked by the loving appli¬cation of church discipline in a body of be¬lievers, the Holy Spirit must abandon such a church to its own carnal resources. The unavoidable result will be the loss of the Lord’s blessing until the sin is dealt with.

The defeat of Israel because of the sin of Achan in Joshua 7 illustrates the principle. This is just as true for the church today, especially when we know certain things exist but ignore them or simply look the other way because it is difficult to deal with or because it involves one of our friends and we do not want to risk causing problems in the relationship.

• The Loss of Progress: A church that refuses to prac¬tice church discipline will see its ministry decline. The church may want to grow and reach out and it may try all kinds of stop gap measures, promotional cam-paigns, and programs in an attempt to turn things around, but if there is sin in the camp, it will all be to no avail. See Revelation 2:5 and 3:16 for illustrations of this principle.

• The Loss of Purpose: As His ambassadors to a lost and dying world, God has called the church to be a holy people, a people who, standing out as distinct from the world, proclaim the excel¬lencies of the works of God in Christ (1 Pet. 1:14-16; 2:9-15). If this is to occur, we must be different from the world and church discipline helps us to both remember and maintain that pur¬pose. One of the recur¬ring judgments against the church today as demon¬strated in various polls taken across the country is the fact there is little or no differ-ence between the church and the secular world when it comes to attitudes, values, morals, and lifestyle. We have lost our sense of purpose.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service