Adventist Online

What Subjects/Topics Should the Ministers/Pastors Be Preaching On In This Critical Hour of This Earth's History???

*Isaiah 62:6,7,11---"For Zion’s Sake. I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth...

11 The LORD has made proclamation to the ends of the Earth: "Say to the Daughter of Zion, See, your Savior comes ! See, his reward is with him,and his recompense accompanies him.

*Isaiah 62:1---"For Zion's sake I will not keep silent, for Jerusalem's sake I will not remain quiet, till her righteousness shines out like the dawn, her salvation like a blazing torch.

*Lamentations 2:19---"Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord."

*Ezekiel 3:17---"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.

*Isaiah 62:6---"I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,"

*Psalms 104:27---"These wait all upon thee (the ministers); that thou mayest give them their meat in due season.

*Matthew 24:45---"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

*Luke 12:41-43, "And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

SOP says,

"There are many precious truths contained in the Word of God, but it is "present truth" that the flock needs now. I have seen the danger of the messengers running off from the important points of present truth, to dwell upon subjects that are not calculated to unite the flock and sanctify the soul. Satan will here take every possible advantage to injure the cause. But such subjects as the sanctuary, in connection with the 2300 days, the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, are perfectly calculated to explain the past Advent movement and show what our present position is, establish the faith of the doubting, and give certainty to the glorious future. These, I have frequently seen, were the principal subjects on which the messengers should dwell. {EW 63.2}

"Prophecy the Foundation of Our Faith.---Ministers should present  the sure word of prophecy as the foundation of the faith of Seventh-day Adventists. The prophecies of Daniel and the Revelation should be carefully studied, and in connection with them the words, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."The twenty-fourth chapter of Matthew is presented to me again and again as something that is to be brought to the attention of all. We are today living in the time when the predictions of this chapter are fulfilling. Let our ministers and teachers explain these prophecies to those whom they instruct. Let them leave out of their discourses matters of minor consequence, and present the truths that will decide the destiny of souls.--Gospel Workers, p. 148. (1915) {Ev 196.3}"

"We are to proclaim to the world the great and solemn truths of Revelation. Into the very designs and principles of the church of God these truths are to enter. A benediction is pronounced upon those who pay due regard to this communication. The blessing is promised to encourage a study of this book. We are by no means to become weary of looking into it because of its apparently mystical symbols. Christ can give us understanding. . . . There should be a closer and more diligent study of the Revelation, and a more earnest presentation of the truths it contains--truths which concern all who are living in these last days.--Manuscript 105, 1902. {Ev 197.1}"

"Startling Messages.--Most startling messages will be borne by men of God's appointment, messages of a character to warn the people, to arouse them. And while some will be provoked by the warning, and led to resist light and evidence, we are to see from this that we are giving the testing message for this time. . . . We must also have, in our cities, consecrated evangelists through whom a message is to be borne so decidedly as to startle the hearers.--Testimonies, vol. 9, p. 137. (1909)"

Repent, repent, was the message rung out by John the Baptist in the wilderness. Christ's message to the people was, "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." Luke 13:5. And the apostles were commanded to preach everywhere that men should repent. The Lord desires His servants today to preach the old gospel doctrine, sorrow for sin, repentance, and confession. We want old-fashioned sermons, old-fashioned customs, old-fashioned fathers and mothers in Israel. The sinner must be labored for, perseveringly, earnestly, wisely, until he shall see that he is a transgressor of God's law, and shall exercise repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ. --Undated Manuscript 111. {Ev 179.5}"

Give the Trumpet a Certain Sound.--There are many who do not understand the prophecies relating to these days, and they must be enlightened. It is the duty of both watchmen and laymen to give the trumpet a certain sound. Be in earnest, "cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins."--Letter 1, 1875.

Crowd in Clear-cut Prophetic Truths.--The perils of the last days are upon us, and in our work we are to warn the people of the danger they are in. Let not the solemn scenes which prophecy has revealed, be left untouched. If our people were half awake, if they realized the nearness of the events portrayed in the Revelation, a reformation would be wrought in our churches, and many more would believe the message. We have no time to lose; God calls upon us to watch for souls as they that must give an account. Advance new principles, and crowd in the clear-cut truth. It will be as a sword cutting both ways. But be not too ready to take a controversial attitude. There will be times when we must stand still and see the salvation of God. Let Daniel speak, let the Revelation speak, and tell what is truth. But whatever phase of the subject is presented, uplift Jesus as the center of all hope, "the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright and morning Star."--Testimonies to Ministers, p. 118. (1896)"

"Three Messages Important.--The theme of greatest importance is the third angel's message, embracing the messages of the first and second angels. All should understand the truths contained in these messages and demonstrate them in daily life, for this is essential to salvation. We shall have to study earnestly, prayerfully, in order to understand these grand truths; and our power to learn and comprehend will be taxed to the utmost.--Letter 97, 1902.

"The Lord will put new, vital force into His work as human agencies obey the command to go forth and proclaim the truth. He who declared that His truth would shine forever will proclaim this truth through faithful messengers, who will give the trumpet a certain sound. The truth will be criticized, scorned, and derided; but the closer it is examined and tested, the brighter it will shine.  As a people, we are to stand firm on the platform of eternal truth that has withstood test and trial. We are to hold to the sure pillars of our faith. The principles of truth that God has revealed to us are our only true foundation. They have made us what we are. The lapse of time has not lessened their value. It is the constant effort of the enemy to remove these truths from their setting, and to put in their place spurious theories. He will bring in everything that he possibly can to carry out his deceptive designs. But the Lord will raise up men of keen perception, who will give these truths their proper place in the plan of God. {1SM 201.2}"

"We are God's commandment-keeping people. For the past fifty years every phase of heresy has been brought to bear upon us, to becloud our minds regarding the teaching of the Word--especially concerning the ministration of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, and the message of Heaven for these last days, as given by the angels of the fourteenth chapter of Revelation. Messages of every order and kind have been urged upon Seventh-day Adventists, to take the place of the truth which, point by point, has been sought out by prayerful study, and testified to by the miracle-working power of the Lord. But the waymarks which have made us what we are, are to be preserved, and they will be preserved, as God has signified through His Word and the testimony of His Spirit. He calls upon us to hold firmly, with the grip of faith, to the fundamental principles that are based upon unquestionable authority. {1SM 208.2}"

As said by Thomas Hastings of 1830,
"Watchmen on the walls of Zion, what, O tell us, of the night?
Is the day-star now arising? Will the morn soon greet our sight?
O’er your vision shine there now some rays of light?
O’er your vision shine there now some rays of light?

Tell, O tell us, are the landmarks on our voyage all passèd by?
Are we nearing now the haven? Can we e’en the land descry?
Do we truly see the heavenly kingdom nigh?
Do we truly see the heavenly kingdom nigh?

Light is beaming, day is coming! Let us sound aloud the cry;
We behold the day-star rising, pure and bright in yonder sky!
Saints, be joyful; your redemption draweth nigh;
Saints, be joyful; your redemption draweth nigh.

We have found the chart and compass, and are sure the land is near;
Onward, onward we are hasting; soon the haven will appear;
Let your voices sound aloud your holy cheer;
Let your voices sound aloud your holy cheer."

...But this is the sad current state of our ministers and their sermons....

*Isaiah 56:10---"His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber."

...The Question Is..."What Subjects/Topics Should the Ministers/Pastors Be Preaching On In This Critical Hour of This Earth's History???

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In short.. The Gospel. The story of Salvation.
I don't care for Versons, just prefer Translations.
Because of sin and bad stuff that happens, we need someone to fix it, and that is Jesus, his life and death is the Story of Salvation. ..The Gospel Story.

Yes, nobody should dispute that amazing fact and what Christ did for us should be foremost in our minds.

But there is a special message for a special people during a special time. We are in that time now (since 1844). Sis. White says it is "present truth" that the flock needs now. The messages should be as such that they will be preparing a people to stand in the day of the Lord without a mediator/intercessor. The ministers and subjects that they present, should be preparing a people to receive the seal of God and to live during a time when there will be no more forgiveness of sins. This is "present truth".

SOP says,

"

"There are many precious truths contained in the Word of God, but it is "present truth" that the flock needs now. I have seen the danger of the messengers running off from the important points of present truth, to dwell upon subjects that are not calculated to unite the flock and sanctify the soul. Satan will here take every possible advantage to injure the cause. But such subjects as the sanctuary, in connection with the 2300 days, the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, are perfectly calculated to explain the past Advent movement and show what our present position is, establish the faith of the doubting, and give certainty to the glorious future. These, I have frequently seen, were the principal subjects on which the messengers should dwell. {EW 63.2}"

I totally agree, but my mindset is for outreach; you see, I am American Indian, there aren't many American Indian SDAs. I wish there were MORE North American Aboriginals who see and accept Jesus, and the basics of His gift for us. They need most to see their need for a Savior.. Typically they believe in the circle of life - birth, childhood/youth, young & middle age adult, elder and death, (they are not afraid to die). Typically they believe the bad and good just happen, and they balance each other. Where I believe GOD balances our lives if committed to Him, [so] they see no need to eliminate sin. That does not mean they deliberately sin at times, but they accept sin happens for a good reason.. Thus they see no need for a Savior.

Yes, Jesus should be the center and great pillar of our theology. But all people need to realize the "shortness of time" and the "nearness of our Lord's soon return". This may seem scary, but by studying the prophecies, the people will see that God is real! The prophecies point us to Jesus Christ.

SOP says in "Evangelism" pg. 196,

"Prophecy the Foundation of Our Faith.---Ministers should present  the sure word of prophecy as the foundation of the faith of Seventh-day Adventists. The prophecies of Daniel and the Revelation should be carefully studied, and in connection with them the words, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."--Gospel Workers, p. 148. (1915) {Ev 196.3}"

...Prophecy should be the "foundation of our faith". Prophecy should be kept before the people, "and in connection with them the words, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world".

Prophecy shouldnt scare us, but it should "arrest" our attention and it should humble us. Prophecy should 'wake us up'. It should startle us into a closer walk with God.

The servant of the Lord says,

""Startling Messages.--Most startling messages will be borne by men of God's appointment, messages of a character to warn the people, to arouse them. And while some will be provoked by the warning, and led to resist light and evidence, we are to see from this that we are giving the testing message for this time. . . . We must also have, in our cities, consecrated evangelists through whom a message is to be borne so decidedly as to startle the hearers.--Testimonies, vol. 9, p. 137. (1909)"

Excellent topic and quotes, DMJ...

I believe that everything you posted from Scripture and SOP leads to the crux of the matter:  God is preparing a generation who will vindicate His character in these last days. 

Prophecy is the Revelation of Jesus...His character of love is revealed to us so that our characters will be transformed.  We see that in His Mercy, He gives us timelines and points us to the coming events that we may be prepared and prepare others. 

The 2300 day prophecy and the Sancturary further reveal Jesus and the importance of the sealing of our characters. 

I wish I could hear from the pulpit how God is searching the world for at least ONE family who will give the loud cry as Noah and his family did... as in the days of Noah.... our families need to be a heaven on earthso that others will be attracted to the Truth...

Today it seems that most Adventists fall in 2 camps:

1) Those who don't believe Jesus is coming soon- if they did their lives would show it- but most are very outspoken about this and they rail against those who are "alarming" others for "no reason"

2) Those who are looking to the Sunday law to verify their belief that we are actually living in the end of time

There are very few that actually believe that we are in the sealing time now and are allowing for a true change in their lives through the Holy Spirit. 

I pray that we will ALL WAKE UP and realize the important fact that MY NAME may be going before God in judgement... oh how our lives would change, our priorities would change, our entertainment would change, our ambitions would change...

Let's all pray for this... because sadly there are very few watchmen on the walls of Zion and we cannot depend on them anymore... we must study for ourselves and avail ourselves of the truth in Scripture and SOP... THERE IS NO TIME FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Blessings,

Michelle

Absolutely Amen!!!
Absolutely.. Good thinking.
Btw, our people had a prophet of God who spoke of the. Sabbath, health and Jesus's coming? He lived about the same time Ellen G White did.
Sorry about the typos, I'd written this while riding in a work truck on a rough Alaskan road (Fairbanks, where I currently live and work), and I hurriedly posted before our next stop.

I grew up hearing about this man, Maniilaq, when I lived in the village before modern lifestyle set in.  He was well known in our village because he'd lived in our area.  Our people have an oral history that is passed on but much is now said online regarding him (if you do your own search, be aware some sites regarding him were created by Christian groups who took only what they understood or wanted to hear and only passed on what they wanted).    

I have included a few of my favorite sites regarding this man of our people.  

http://revelado.org/maniilaq.htm

http://www.observatorybooks.com/Maniilaq.htm

http://www.alaskool.org/Language/Maniilaq/webhtm/Maniilaq_Intro.htm

Quacinda I agree with you. The preaching of Jesus and how He frees us of sin is the most important topic to preach about in these final days.

DMJ

All true ministers will be preaching "present truth." 

So, what is "Present truth?"

Present truth is those truths which address the deceiptions that Satan is presenting.  Today present truth will address issues like:  (NOTE: This is only a parital list and in no particular order.)

1. The Seventh-day Sabbath
  2. The Cross
  3. The New Covenant (it seems like not many even know what this is, from the Bible.)
  4. Methods of worship
  5. Who should lead out in worship.
  6. Healthful living.
  7. The State of the dead.
  8. Wise stewardship.
  9. How to study God's word.
  10. How to test those who claim to have a message from God's word.
  11. The nature of love.
  12. The nature of sin.
  13. How to live the Christian life.
  14. The soon coming of Jesus.
  15. The prophecies of Daniel and Revelation.

This should be a good starter list.  Some of these topics are not even mentioned in some circles today.  In some cases, the conference will not allow a biblical presentation on some of these points.  Then we wonder why the church in the NAD is barley holding its own.  For the most part, it is dying because if only those who are children of Adventist parents remained in the church, we would be growing faster than we are.  A 1% growth is not something to be bragging about.

Happy Sabbath!

Maranatha :)
Ray

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link: