Adventist Online

What's the difference between being married or not married to someone?

Did Adam and Eve have a wedding, where they said vows before God? Did they exchange "wedding bands"? Were they issued with a marriage certificate?

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is too much emphasis on societies expectations, norms and values.

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church.

That's the way the American society is. In fact all of Western society. I feel I can understand because I come from a different group of people. Outlook is different. But I like how you are thinking outside the box. Thank you.. :-)
Maybe she's talking about the teenage and youth, they tend to lean towards the others outside of parents and family at times as they are discovering who they are and what they want [in life]?

Social only in the sense that if you live in a society you have to obey the rules. "Render unto Caeser what is Caeser's."

The Bible does warn, "Be ye separate..." but as long as we are not living in the woods or a desert island I think we need to acknowledge the social aspect of marraige.

Zoe, I like your question; and am enjoying the resulting posts and comments. Thank you.
No problem. : )
I am going to try and answer the question,people of different cultures get married in there own country,problaly not given a marriage certificate,they returned to a country like GB or USA, are they still married?, is it legal? or do they have to prove to the church and friends by getting married again in  by a Pastor in  the church ?
Very good.
The family, and/or friends may want to celebrate, that would be good. They acknowledge the union. They show their interest, love and support in this way. But if the USA doesn't acknowledge the union, if one of them dies, the spouse may not get any of the assets they owned together. In that case, maybe they should check into making sure their union is acknowledged by the Stste?
hi,ok for instance,i heard of a couple who got married in another country but then also had a church wedding, two different cultures.

Just a thought to share:

BEING MARRIED

Being married is the state wherein a man and woman has undergone the legal or close union as husband and wife. It's a process to make a certain purpose of a bond legal; it is obtaining a license to establish a family of your own.

This answers the first question as to: Did Adam and Eve have a wedding?

The Origin of Marriage-Marriage is a divine institution established by God Himself before the fall when everything, including marriage, was "very good." (Gen. 1:31). "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh" (Gen. 2:24). "God celebrated the first marriage. Thus the institution has for its originator the Creator of the universe. 'Marriage is honourable'; it was one of the first gifts of God to man, and it is one of the two institutions that, after the fall, Adam brought with him beyond the gates of Paradise."-The Adventist Home, pp. 25, 26.

The Oneness of Marriage-God intended the marriage of Adam and Eve to be the pattern for all future marriages, and Christ endorsed this original concept saying: "Have ye not read that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder" (Matt. 19:4-6).

The Permanence of Marriage-Marriage is a lifelong commitment of husband and wife to each other and between the couple and God (Mark 10:2-9; Rom. 7:2). Paul indicates that the commitment which Christ has for the church is a model of the relationship between husband and wife (Eph. 5:31, 32). God intended the marriage relationship to be as permanent as Christ's relationship with the church. 

Now, for the second question as to: Where they (Adam and Eve) said vows before God?

Gen. 2:23: And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

We who agree to unite vow to God are by faith one flesh. If a man and a woman vow before God to be so joined they are married. All who know God knows we are to follow the law and most places recognize marriage as a legal union than so it is with God we are not to be law breakers.

Then, for the third question as to: Did they exchange "wedding bands"?

The Oneness of Marriage-God intended the marriage of Adam and Eve to be the pattern for all future marriages, and Christ endorsed this original concept saying: "Have ye not read that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder" (Matt. 19:4-6).

In and tradition or older times, the wedding rings were not only a sign of love, but were also linked to the bestowal of 'earnest money'. According to the prayer book of Edward VI: after the words 'with this ring I thee wed' follow the words 'This gold and silver I give thee', at which point the groom was supposed to hand a leather purse filled with gold and silver coins to the bride.

Historically, for human traditions, the wedding ring was rather connected to the exchange of valuables at the moment of the wedding rather than a symbol of eternal love and devotion. It is a relic of the times when marriage was a contract between families, not individual lovers. Both families were then eager to ensure the economic safety of the young couple.

The double-ring ceremony, or use of wedding rings for both partners, is a relatively recent innovation. After marriage, the ring is worn on the hand it had been placed on during the ceremony. By wearing rings on the fourth finger, a married couple symbolically declares their eternal love for each other. This has now become a matter of tradition and etiquette.

Again, this is just a human tradition and not God's. For God, the symbolic act of marriage is not the exchange of rings, but the His proclamation of marriage which again we will go back to Matt. 19:4-6.

Lastly, for the last question as to: Were they issued with a marriage certificate?

Gen. 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cl...

This is more than a marriage of certificate, don't you think?

When God made Adam and Eve he said that the two shall become one flesh. Becoming one flesh with another human being is not something to be taken lightly. Yet many people today see marriage as something they will try and if it does not work out they can always get out of it. This is not the biblical view of marriage. We must see marriage as Holy Matrimony. We must get back to the idea that what God has joined together let no man put asunder if we are going to get back to the biblical blessing on marriage.

I Corinthians 6:15-17, TLB. Don't you realize that your bodies are actually parts and members of Christ? So should I take part of Christ and join Him to a prostitute? Never! And don't you know that if a man joins himself to a prostitute she becomes a part of him and he becomes a part of her? For God tells us in the Scripture that in His sight the two become one person."

Ok.. the point im taking from this verse is that 'marriage, or unity as is marriage is created the time you have sex with a partner,  And that in the eyes of God you are married then. So when Adam knew Eve he was considered married to her at that moment. So its a stronger reason to not have sex before "marriage"in the legal sense because it IS marriage in the eyes of God. If we can convince youth that sex is marriage as real as legal marriage is, than i think they may take sex more serious. So the difference between marriage and not being married is no sexual relations at its base. That's just my $.02.

In certain poorer countries couples simply can't afford to marry, because the permit or certificate is too expensive, so they live in common law marriages.

I personally believe God blesses them.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by