Adventist Online

This is how the Holy Spirit is described in the inspired writings of Ellen White. However, I am  not in agreement with those who twist Ellen White’s writing to make them conflict with the Bible.

For some have taken the above designation by Ellen White and concluded that Ellen White implied by it the existence of a third divine “being,”,i.e.
the Holy Spirit, besides the Father and His only begotten Son.  This
she never meant to be. In all her writings, she never ever referred to
the Holy Spirit as a third divine “being."

This may seem like a paradox to some: how can she speak of a third person of the Godhead and not mean by it a third divine “being”? A casual reader of her writings may
be confused by this apparent dilemma. However, her writings are not to
be blamed for such a faulty conclusion. There is no basis whatsoever to
arrive at the wrong conclusion of the existence of a third divine
“being,” for the following reasons:

1. If we do so, then we make her writings in direct conflict with the Bible, which speaks only of the presence of two divine beings (Zechariah 6:13; Revelation 21:22). This is not possible, if you believe, as we do, that there was one
    divine spirit which inspired both, the Bible and her writings.
  2. She never, when referring to the Holy Spirit in her writings, described it as a “divine being.”
  3. In her writings she has told us clearly that the nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery.

How is the Holy Spirit a “mystery” then according to the writings of Ellen White? Certainly, neither the role nor the mission of the Holy Spirit is a mystery in the Bible (see John 14:26; 16:8, 13).
Furthermore, the identity of the Holy Spirit is not a mystery.

While the Bible clearly reveals that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ (see John 14:16-18), it also states that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father (see John 15:26).
More importantly, the Bible while speaking distinctly of Spirit of the
Father and the Spirit of the Son in several places (for example, see Romans 8:14; Galatians 4:6; Philippians 1:19),
does equate the Spirit of Christ with the Spirit of God (see Romans
8:9).

We can therefore surmise from these Bible verses that the Holy Spirit in that holy divine mechanism through which both the Father and Son jointly work for the salvation of the human race, and represents
the means through which they can both abide in us for fellowship (see 1 John 1:3) and to sanctify us to overcome the evil one and sin.

So, if the mission and the identity of the Holy Spirit have been clearly revealed in the Bible, where does the mystery of the Holy Spirit lie?

We can only conclude that the “mystery” lies in the following: How can the Holy Spirit which represents the joint effort of the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ act as a
person and not be a separate third being of the Godhead?

We can’t explain this unprecedented phenomenon, from a human point of view.  And since we can’t explain it as, it is a mystery about which we should not speculate. But sadly, most SDAs when confronted with this mystery jump to the
wrong conclusion and conclude the existence of a third divine being, or
a third independent co-equal person to the Father and His Son. Instead
of recognizing where the mystery lies, they resolve it erroneously.

Lastly, we are to rejoice in knowing that in our earthly sojourn towards heaven we have two divine beings cooperating together through their joint Spirits (aka the Holy Spirit)
to save us. And that the Father’s Spirit which aided our Lord in
overcoming sin during His life on earth, is there to also aid us along
with the Spirit of His Son, jointly as the Holy Spirit, so that we have
all that is needed to overcome sin, and fulfill their divine mission in
each of our lives.

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi brothers and sisters! from where is coming from this new member NEW LIGHT? its too suspicious this post!and brother called NEW LIGHT is under suspicious too! in BRASILIA - BR the brother NEW LIGHT should find fans from this post a lot!they would love comment issues like this! good luck!
Once again demonstrating that this person does NOT adhere to the beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Our position on the Godhead is very clearly defined in our 28 Fundamental Beliefs and this offering is decidedly opposed to that position.
Reading this was like reading the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". Present a spurious theory and then say, "now that we have established that as a fact, let's look at this spurious theory", and then just continue using the same ridiculous reasoning over and over again.
Cherry-picking Scripture texts that by themselves can appear to uphold your error while completely disregarding the numerous Scriptures that, for example, clearly refer to the Holy Spirit in the first person, is a telltale sign of deception.
I am pleased to see that those on this list are more Biblically literate than to fall for this kind of thing.
Yes. If we stick with the 28 Fundamentals ... we can't go wrong. But these offshoots want to divert our attention. Do not let our teachings stray from Present Truth.
Do a "Google" search for the term "three great Worthies" and see how many of the sites that come up are Freemason in origin.

I cannot think of any other Christian denomination that uses this term.
But it is very commonly found in Masonic literature.

Why is it so?

Aldona

Counterfeiting the genuine ?

Proof from the Bible that the Holy Spirit is a Person and God:

All of the following scriptures show conclusively that the Holy Spirit is indeed God, a Person and Being, and that He has His own work to perform in the plan of Redemption, other than the Father and the Son.

The Holy Spirit is not a mere symbol of anything. No mere symbol is able to:

communicate ('speak') (Acts 13:2),
intercede (step in on behalf of someone) (Romans 8:26),
testify (John 15:26)
guide (John 16:13),
command (Acts 16:6,7),
appoint (Acts 20:28),
lead (Romans 8:14),
reveal to someone how wrong, foolish, or sinful he/she was (John 16:8).
seal God's promise in believers' hearts (Ephesians 1:13-14)
shape the life of each person and community to Christ's (Romans 8:1-17)

In the Bible, the Holy Spirit has intellect, passions, and will, and can be grieved. In short, the Spirit has a personality.

The Holy Spirit Thinks:
The Holy Spirit has a mind (see Romans 8:27).
--The Holy Spirit helped to settle questions during the Church Council at Jerusalem (see Acts 15:28).
--The Holy Spirit dispenses gifts to different individuals according as He wills (see 1 Corinthians 12:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit forbade some from going to preach in certain places (see Acts 16:6-7).

The Holy Spirit Acts:
--The Holy Spirit anointed Jesus and sent Him out to preach the gospel (see Luke 4:18-19); In fact, both
the Father and the Holy Spirit sent Jesus (see Isaiah 48:16).
--The Holy Spirit testifies or witnesses of Jesus (see John 15:26).
--The Holy Spirit leads God’s people (see Romans 8:14).
--The Holy Spirit teaches and causes us to remember the truth (John 14:26).
--The Holy Spirit comforts us as does Christ (John 14:16).
--The Holy Spirit strives with us (see Genesis 6:3).
--The Holy Spirit reproves us of sin, righteousness, and judgment (see John 16:8-11).
--The Holy Spirit instructs us (see Nehemiah 9:20).

The Holy Spirit Speaks:
--The Holy Spirit speaks, guides, hears and shows (John 16:13-15).
--The Holy Spirit speaks, chooses, calls and sends forth (see Acts 13:1-4).
--The Holy Spirit gives messages to prophets and they declare: “Thus saith the Holy Ghost” (see Acts 21:11).

--The Holy Spirit has knowledge, and searches all things (see 1 Corinthians 2:10-11).
--The Holy Spirit sanctifies us (see Romans 15:16).
--The Holy Spirit holds communion with us (see 2 Corinthians 13:14); and so does Christ (see 1
Corinthians 1:9).
--The Holy Spirit is the source of regeneration and renewal for salvation (see John 3:5-8; Titus 3:5).
--The Holy Spirit resurrects the faithful from the dead (see Romans 8:11; 1 Peter 3:18).
--The Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible and moved upon the prophets to speak (see 2 Peter 1:21).
--The Holy Spirit is another Comforter other than Christ (see John 14:16).
--The Holy Spirit helps our infirmities (see Romans 8:26).
--The Holy Spirit can be tempted and lied to (see Acts 5:3, 9).
–The Holy Spirit can be blasphemed and sinned against (see Mark 3:28-29; Luke 12:10; Matthew 12:31).
--The Holy Spirit is another Intercessor other than Christ (see Romans 8:26); The Spirit intercedes for us
through prayer, while Christ intercedes for us through His precious blood, merits and righteousness.

The Holy Spirit also a God:

--The Holy Spirit has Omnipresence (see Psalms 139:7).
--The Holy Spirit is eternal (see Hebrews 9:14).
--The Holy Spirit is all powerful (see Luke 1:35).
**All powerful. Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of you shall be called the Son of God.
--The Holy Spirit is all knowing. 1 Corinthians 2:10
--The Holy Spirit is an equal member of the Godhead - Acts 5:3-4

And let's not forget Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Here we see the evidence of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all mentioned within one verse. We also see the same reference elsewhere in the Gospels.
its come from sis WHITE in "Steps to Christ":
""God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith.""
may LORD ,bless every body here including bro NEW LIGHT.

Antonio

That is exactly how I see it.

Thanks Shalinda for this contribution...
I will not answer to every group all at once. Let's us take on at a time. For example, when you write,"The Holy Spirit is not a mere symbol of anything. No mere symbol is able to....", I say:

All the texts that you mention apply to the spirit as the person and presence of God, not another individual. Every one of these texts speaking of the Spirit doing something, it means that God is doing something, not someone else.

God does these things BY His spirit, which is Himself, not someone else. This is true because God the Father is a sprit, He is a holy spirit (John 4:23, 24). Notice how clearly it is stated that when God gives us His spirit He is not giving us someone else, but it is Himself:
“In giving us His Spirit, God gives us Himself, making Himself a fountain of divine influences, to give health and life to the world.” {EGW, 7T 273.1}

To conclude this section, none of the texts you quoted mention any of the following:

That there is a “God the Holy Spirit”.

That the Spirit is a part of a trinity.

That the Spirit is a co-equal being to God (as the Trinity states)

That the Spirit is a co-eternal being with God (as the Trinity states)

That the Sprit is present in the councils of heaven (Zec.6:12, 13).

That the Spirit will be seen in heaven by the redeemed (Rev.21:22, 23; 22:1, 3).

That the Spirit is to be worshipped.

That the Spirit is to be praised.

That the Spirit is to be prayed to.

Your conclusion that the Spirit must be a third individual person in a Godhead of three is not mentioned in a single text that you quote (it is not in any text in the whole Bible altogether). If what you say it is really true, then why is there no plain “Thus Saith the Lord” in its support?

Regards
Now, let us take some of the verses you quoted:

1) Romans 8: 26

“We have only one channel of approach to God. Our prayers can come to him through one name only,--that of the Lord Jesus our advocate. His Spirit must inspire our petitions. No strange fire was to be used in the censers that were waved before God in the sanctuary. So the Lord himself must kindle in our hearts the burning desire, if our prayers are acceptable to him. The Holy Spirit within must make intercessions for us, with groanings that cannot be uttered.” {EGW, RH, February 9, 1897 par. 10}.

Wonderful statement! The Holy Spirit is not “interceding for us before God” as you have suggested. No, the prophet plainly says that the Holy Spirit is “within” making intercessions for us. Our prayers come through only ONE channel, not two! That one channel is our Lord Jesus. The spirit of Jesus, “His Spirit”, inspires us as we pray. It is “the Lord himself” who kindles our hearts! Who is this “Lord”? why, it is Jesus, not anyone else!

Please read that quote again carefully. It is clear that only Christ is the one who inspires our petitions. He draws them out and He presents them before His Father in heaven.

“While Jesus ministers in the sanctuary above, He is still by His Spirit the minister of the church on earth.” {EGW, DA 166}.

How many ministers are mentioned here? Is it not only the one minister, the Lord Jesus? Yes, “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” 1 Timothy 2:5. This one mediator works on two levels. He is in heaven in the flesh interceding before the Father, and He (the same one: Jesus) is in our hearts in the Spirit.

But it is the one and the same Jesus in both cases who is in heaven and who is also in our hearts. (Please see Colossians 1:27; 3:11, Galatians 1:16, John 6:56, John 14:17, 18, 20, 23, John 15:4, John 17:23, Romans 8:10 etc.) In every one of those texts it plainly says that Christ is in us, not someone else.

Yet Christ is not in us in His physical flesh form, but He is in us in Spirit form for He is both flesh (John 1:14) and he is also Spirit (1Cor. 15:45).

We do not have two intercessors; it is blasphemous to even intimate such notions!
2) Romans 8:1-17

We need to keep in mind that:
There is one God; the Father.
There is one Lord; Jesus Christ the Son. (See 1 Corn 8:6
There is one Spirit; the Spirit of the Father and Son which they share. It is their life, not another individual being (see 1Corn 12:9, 11 and Romans 8:9). Now if we consider the Holy Spirit to be a person, distinct from the Father and the Son, it means we've got here more than one spirit.

Now, notice how clearly Mrs. White explains that the Spirit is the life of Christ, not someone else:
The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ.” {EGW, DA 805.3}
The life of Christ is not another individual being different to Christ!

Again, she explains how she understood the spirit to be the personal presence of Christ (not someone else) in the soul:
“The work of the holy Spirit is immeasurably great. It is from this source that power and efficiency come to the worker for God; and the holy Spirit is the comforter, as the personal presence of Christ to the soul.” {EGW, RH, November 29, 1892 par. 3}

“By the Spirit the Father and the Son will come and make their abode with you.” {EGW, BEcho, January 15, 1893 par. 8}.
Now, the Spirit of the Father and the Son is given the name, The Holy Spirit.

“Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.” “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” John 14:23; Revelation 3:20

You see, it is through the Spirit that we have a bond with the Father and Son “The sinner then stands before God as a just person; he is taken into favor with Heaven, and through the Spirit has fellowship with the Father and the Son.” {EGW, 3SM 191}

Regards
Let us take now, Johne 15: 26 concerning the Comforter

“Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally; therefore it was altogether for their advantage that He should leave them, go to His father, and send the Holy Spirit to be His successor on earth. The Holy Spirit is Himself divested of the personality of humanity and independent thereof. He would represent Himself as present in all places by His Holy Spirit, as the Omnipresent.” {EGW, 14MR 23}

How clear and beautiful is that statement! Christ is omnipresent by His Spirit. That Spirit is Himself in an invisible form! He is unseen by the world (see next EGW quote). It is the life and presence of Christ. This is good news indeed.

Our beloved Master said “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?” John 14:18, 19, 22

Commenting on these lovely verses the servant of the Lord writes “That Christ should manifest Himself to them, and yet be invisible to the world, was a mystery to the disciples. They could not understand the words of Christ in their spiritual sense. They were thinking of the outward, visible manifestation. They could not take in the fact that they could have the presence of Christ with them, and yet He be unseen by the world. They did not understand the meaning of a spiritual manifestation.” {EGW, SW, September 13, 1898 par. 2}

How so very wonderful indeed!

Does that mean that when God gives us His Spirit He actually gives us Himself, not a third member of a trinity?

In giving us His Spirit, God gives us Himself, making Himself a fountain of divine influences, to give health and life to the world.” {EGW, 7T 273}

“Christ tells us that the Holy Spirit is the Comforter, and the Comforter is the Holy Ghost, "the Spirit of truth, which the Father shall send in My name." … This refers to the omnipresence of the Spirit of Christ, called the Comforter.” {EGW, 14MR 179}

See how it gets clearer and plainer as we allow the prophet to explain what she means? This saves us from falling into the error of misunderstanding her utterances.

The last quote raises a very very important question. Who is our Comforter? Is the Comforter Jesus Christ Himself or is it someone else?

The Saviour is our Comforter. This I have proved Him to be.” {EGW, 8MR 49}

“As by faith we look to Jesus, our faith pierces the shadow, and we adore God for His wondrous love in giving Jesus the Comforter.” {EGW, 19MR 297, 298}

“Let them study the seventeenth of John, and learn how to pray and how to live the prayer of Christ. He is the Comforter.” {EGW, RH, January 27, 1903}
No, Jesus did not lie to us and send us someone else. He said “I am with you”. I believe the word of my Lord. He is the one who is with us always (Matthew 28).

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service